Semi-Personal Launch Report - Indiana Rocketry Snow Ball Fight 2014-03-09

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyfire

Piled Higher and Deeper
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I usually post in the launch threads but it was pointed out to me that my photos get buried that way, so instead, here we go!

Yesterday I spent hiding at home working on a new avboard for Little Dragon and a few other things. I headed out to the field at about 2:30, but by then everybody had taken off, so I chatted briefly with Tom McFee at his house and then headed back home. Curtis said I didn't miss much; it was overcast at 1000' and windy, so all that flew was a few small things.

But last night, lo and behold, things started to improve!

and on arrival this morning, the skies were blue, the winds were calm, and the temperature was rising. Finally, we can fly rockets!

After grabbing a coffee to keep my hands warm, I headed to the site, parked on the road, and looked out my driver's side window to see Justin Farrand! He's usually too cool for us, so it was a nice surprise :D He had his camera too, hopefully we'll see some of his choice shots.

The Gross family was on the pad when I got there and pounded Jenny's Warrior into the sky on a J520SK. Holy cow did that thing move. Unlike Jenny, who was apparently totally incapacitated from last night's revelries :p Unfortunately, (a) I didn't get a photo and (b) the thing separated at apogee. Hopefully someone trips over it at Thunderstruck!

Claude (who was Justin's ride to the launch) got to the pads early with his Yellow Jacket with a CTI M2150RL.

This is the same motor, I think, that he flew in Peak Oil a few years back, and once again it did not disappoint!

The fins stayed on and the rocket flew dead nuts straight, with both events clearly visible in the blue sky. Dual deploy dropped it over in Jim Fields's back yard (or so it looked) and now I was seriously jonesing to fly.

Richard was on a mission to fly the alphabet. Though he got struck by an E9 cato (that totally, utterly destroyed his Big Daddy; I've never seen a BP motor cato so amazingly destructive), I think he successfully made it to at least H. Here he is loading up his D-powered Eliminator -- or at least until he realized he was missing the igniter ;)

I finally headed out to the pads with my first flight of the new year-- my shiny new(ish) Gizmo dual deploy. For a shakedown flight, I had her loaded with a 4 grain K400 motor. Tom McFee couldn't read my handwriting (they were cold!) but despite that, liftoff was timely and graceful:

Solid dual deploy (though I wish I could fit more shock cord in the booster, I'm planning to rectify that design flaw soon) and it landed a short walk away after a 3500' flight. It did pop off the aft rail button, but no big deal.

And then there was Gus. Oh, Gus! He came loaded for bear. The first one off the pad was his 5.5" Constipated Duck. He got some help loading the pad from Jacob, whose car chose that exact moment to die while parked next to the pad. So, that's the car you're going to see in these photos.

Anyway, Constipated Duck. CTI 98 6GXL N4100RL. On-board video. Dual deploy. The whole package. Last month, blue was the fashion... this month, RED!

(anyone who doesn't think rail whip is a problem, look at that 1515 flop around...)
It landed a short distance away, again in Jim Fields's backyard.

After Gus's flight, I headed back to the rangehead and chatted with Randy from rail-buttons.com for a bit -- good to have you back! I also bugged Claude to fly his Competitor 3 on the K1440, I was so stoked to see this happen.

MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH! But those of you who have photographed White Thunder will understand. And a 6G 54 White Thunder in a 3" rocket... I mean, really, come on, cut me some slack, I miss 'em every now and then :facepalm:

Brent Justice was going for his Level 1. This one ended badly, ballistic into the field.

He went and got a shovel. More to come.

Since I had talked Claude into flying his 3" rocket on a wicked fast motor, I decided I should fly my 3" rocket on a wicked fast motor too. This was a 5G 1750 loaded with Turbo White, which is my attempt to clone White Thunder.

Holy cow. It was like a K1500. GONE to 8900 and change, and the Beeline led me right to it. Of course it decided to land (a) directly across the fence from where I was walking, so I had to walk down and back again to get it, and (2) like three feet from the grass, in the mud, which took me a long time to clean off before I could pack the rocket back up.

Oh well. That meant I missed Dennis's Formula 200 on an N motor, seen here riding out with Brandon in the back of the Gross truck:

Meanwhile, Brent came back with his Wildman Jr. again with an I180SK. After removing shear pins, rearranging some recovery, and a close safety check, this one worked!

And who can forget Gus again. This time, with his 6" all-carbon Super Beast. CTI 98 6GXL O3400 Imax. On board video. Dual deploy. Man, can this guy fly rockets. Here we are again back out at the away cell:

To the moon, Alice!

Some weathercocking kept this one to an altitude below that of the N5800CS in the same rocket a few years back. But still, an incredible flight to almost 20kft. And the video is excellent! I can't wait for him to post it! Jacob also shot ground video with my iPhone:
[YOUTUBE]NjpHH7Mk7y4[/YOUTUBE]

Brian Bohrer wrapped things up with his Bruiser EXP and an AT J825R for a nice dramatic flight.

And that was that! There were tons more flights that I missed. Brian Perry was back on the field and flying rockets-- awesome dude! We missed you! Plus everyone else... it was great to get out and fly some stuff after the long, cold winter.

It was a perfect day of flying. I got muddy and had a great time seeing everyone. Looking forward to Thunderstruck next month :clap:

(p.s. Jeff, look what you started with this launch report thread thing. BRILLIANT!)

Great Pics!! Thanks for sharing. Wish I could have been there with you guys. Gus, Awesome job, looking forward to the onboard.

Jason, i will have to wait till latter to post the videos (I will explain at another time.) So, with that being said i would like to make some observations about yesterdays launch.

First off what a beautiful day! We had a great turnout of members, new folks and, many...many spectators that really enjoyed the action!:D The skies were perfect all day long and, the temperatures stayed reasonable comfortable considering the recent weather conditions.

We had a great turnout of Chicago Rocket Mafia members and, for that i am very proud! ALL flew thundering flights whether it was an Estes motors or "Thunder from up Yonder....eh!"

David as usual, out did himself with incredible pictures! Tom Mcfee grabbed some videos on his tablet and, i'm sure more pictures/videos will pop up soon...

I FINALLY had a chance to meet Bob J. "The Starlight Dude" and, it was great too see you! Thank-you Bob for showing up....we do cherish all the vendors we have but, always with scheduling and, club launches elsewhere we need someone local to help us! THANKS AGAIN!:eek:

The launch reports on my two flights are as follows...

1. *Duck* thundered off the rail and, whipped my stand like a Red Headed Stepchild a little later in the morning than expected due too minor wait on the waiver going active that morning...The video shows a fair amount of spin but, overall a great shot of the Lafayette area/Wabash River in the background as the curvature of the earth comes up quickly! Average height of the altimeters showed 19,555' along with a great recovery just 80' west of Jim Fields Cow Pen....It sure was fun with Brian Perry and, i dodging cow pies, Bulls and, calves carrying the upper half (with camera still on) yelling MOOO.....MOOOOO!!! Trying too fit in and, NOT get stampeded!
Later on we learned from the crowd over a 1000' away that the ECHO thundered off the trees to the south and, north SEVEN friggin times after it took off!
SEVEN times!

2. *Super Beast* went off later in the afternoon and, once again did not disappoint! One spin off the rail then dead straight all the way up....Excellent footage on the way down...Thanks to Tom Mcfee for all his help in the recovery efforts a mile and, a half away! Although the flight only went an average of 18,990' it has gone higher (20990') on an N5800 C-Star....A major wind/weather cocking contributed too the result.
Not only was the sound UNBELIEVABLE from the away cell......

Jeroen? I swear when i lit that thing that i have NEVER seen such a beautiful green/yellow flame come out of rocket before...

It ALMOST looked like the rocket "Hawked a MONSTER LUGGIE"....

3....2.....1......SNOOOOORK!:surprised: SNOOOOOOOOOOOOK!:surprised:pHUHTEEEEWEEEEE!:tongue: and, it was gone baby gone.......

I guess i should get my Airfest 2014-5" Wildman Space Cowboy project going alittle faster now after that!

A special thanks to all who showed up, who kept the show running smoothly and, IF you missed it.....You really missed a great time! Looking forward to Thunderstruck and, sitting back and, running the show along with all the other volunteers while my friends enjoy the beautiful field that we have.
We have ALOT to offer....please drop by and, share it with us! Curtis? Also, thanks for getting the videos sorted out....we need to discuss some posting techniques...

Thank-you!:D

Why isn't anyone admiring the lovely Grand Am in the picture?!?! Gus's motor wasn't the only red thing at the away cell. :facepalm:

Claude,

Thank you again for letting me tag along and rideshare... It was an early start to the day when the alarm went off at 3:30... :caffeine: I had a great time and really needed to get out, blow off some steam, and get some fresh air and sunshine for a change. :)

Some pics I took are attached...

Justin
DSC_0129.jpgDSC_0135.jpgDSC_0145.jpgDSC_0149.jpgDSC_0134.jpgDSC_0139.jpgDSC_0151.jpg

Wow!:surprised: Thanks to you too Justin for ALL the great pictures!

"I will ALWAYS treasure the photo of Claude and, i....."

I just realized tho....he's got real big "Nug" on top of those shoulders!:rofl:

Thanks for the recap. looking forward to seeing you all soon
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Countyline Cycles and Hobbies

Claude,

Thank you again for letting me tag along and rideshare... It was an early start to the day when the alarm went off at 3:30... :caffeine: I had a great time and really needed to get out, blow off some steam, and get some fresh air and sunshine for a change. :)

My pleasure. Looking forward to the next time :handshake:

Wow!:surprised: Thanks to you too Justin for ALL the great pictures!

"I will ALWAYS treasure the photo of Claude and, i....."

I just realized tho....he's got real big "Nug" on top of those shoulders!:rofl:

Thanks, I guess... :sigh:

I like to claim there is a lot of stuff in there.... :blush:

BTW, I do like that picture a lot. What a great thing to have such talented photographs at our launches. I did not use my camera at all yesterday, yet I have these wonderful memories to keep and share...

Thank you guys, Ash Grove is always worth the trip down I-65.

Sorry Gus that I missed it . And you were going to make sure a had my electronic bay right and loaded . Well the test will be at thunder struck . Would like a motor mentor think that me not doing electronic yet has not helped .

Look at that Indiana dirt bellowing and the soot on the fins! (white boosters and O motors don't mix too well)

Oh yes they do!:D

I like to claim there is a lot of stuff in there.... :blush:

There is....Coming from the "Me" to one of the most talented/respected Rocketeers i know....

Sorry Gus that I missed it . And you were going to make sure a had my electronic bay right and loaded . Well the test will be at thunder struck . Would like a motor mentor think that me not doing electronic yet has not helped .

There will something special planned for the next launch after Thunderstruck 5....I just have to "Work" T.S.5.......:cool:

I didn't have time to post individual pics, so here is a slideshow of what I took.

Nice....Real nice!;) Thank-you for the awesome shots Randy!

and, to quote Von Misses somewhere else on this forum.

Yes, his children are going to help me on Saturday finally figure out HOW too edit and, properly post my videos too You-Tube....Look forward to the links posting here soon......

Sorry for the *Technical Delay* on that one.:blush:

David amazing photos as usual!!!!
You cold boyzz don't mess around. Nothing smaller than K's!

Gotta give you HUGE props on that O IMAX and Selene. Gorgeous!

Thanks to all for sharing the fun with the rest of us!

Better late than never...:p
Someone :surprised: done learned how to edit, post and, totally ruin You-Tube today with the videos of his two launches at Ash Grove on the 9th...

First up is the Madcow Frenzy XL flying on a CTI N (as in Nasty) 4100 Red to 19,555' at...

https://youtu.be/RAWuFqHvCw0

and,

The one and, the only Hawk Mountain Super Beast flying on a CTI O (as in "Oh muh gawsh...") 3400 I-Max to 18,900'

https://youtu.be/MhVduWwQ1v8

*Yah, i know its gone higher on a CTI N-5800 (20,990') but, it sure was fun :D launching my first "O" motor!*

A special thanks to-

1. "Big Papa" Merrill for his patience and, setting this up. :clap:
2. Chance Merrill for all his unselfish understanding and, guiding hand in the process. :clap:
3. Mark Crumpacker for all the *Adult Content* text messages of support during the long and, labor filled learning session...:clap:
4. The boys at Anthony's Pizza in Groveland Indiana for their allowing us to take up a booth at the back of the restaurant and, "Conduct" business...if you know what i mean!;)

Lets see.:rolleyes: New toy, new skills.....new fun! 200K in N's sitting here at Cape Chaos along with some dangerous toys...
Things are going to get very interesting...:bangbang: Enjoy the videos!

Lets see.:rolleyes: New toy, new skills.....new fun! 200K in N's sitting here at Cape Chaos along with some dangerous toys...
Things are going to get very interesting...:bangbang: Enjoy the videos!

Super!! I love the second video. Apogee was so stable and graceful. Good work!
:clap: :w: :cheers: :wave:

Hey Justin

nice picture of my Warrior going up. So hopefully someone stumbles on my booster at Thunderstruck so I can have it back.

Super!! I love the second video. Apogee was so stable and graceful. Good work!
:clap: :w: :cheers: :wave:

Thank-you Jeff!:D The Upscale Beast has always been a pleasure too fly...those mudflap fins make it very stable. The Frenz...is also a GREAT rocket, so small and, lightweight for a rocket capable of taking the "O" power the Beast took. Even with using a really good fin jig set up it does like to throw out some spin with that big honk'n "Ding D*ng" strapped to its side.
Can't wait to throw the O in it someday!;)

Hey Justin, nice picture of my Warrior going up. So hopefully someone stumbles on my booster at Thunderstruck so I can have it back.

Jenny, i'm sure someone will find the booster at T.S.5...:D There's going too be alot of folks in the area and, something as awesome as what you and, Mike build will stand out a long ways away...Saying :surprised: "Take me home to Mama.....it's cold out here.....i miss Mama!":p

Back