Self taught "rocket scientist" plans to launch himself........

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the Noize TV video. This one is much better. 36 minutes of quality programming :) This looks legit, but hard to reconcile with the other video that shows a bunch of people and kids standing around and then "whoosh!" it takes off. My son said it looked a lot like when Mythbusters launched water heaters in the air, but it has a nosecone and a bag of meat on top.

[video=youtube;M0WmenDhtaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0WmenDhtaY[/video]

Everyone's hating on these guys, but I thought the commentary around 15:00 on whether this was a shield or a hatch was pretty hilarious.

No hate, just ridicule. I wish him well and have no desire to see anything bad happen to him. But I do think he's bonkers.

No rocket is needed to prove the earth is flat (not that it is, but bear with me). Join an Antarctic skiing expedition (my brother-in-law did it, had a blast), but make a provision for a dog sled, and when you get to Anarctica, take the sled due south. Take at least one "non-believer" with you, and photograph the edge of the earth. Simple.

I guess the "scientific community" would assassinate you before you could return with the pictures.

Clearly you have not thought this through. The flat earthers would simply push you off the edge while you were taking the picture. Duh. Now you can thank me for saving your life!

Here is the Noize TV video. This one is much better. 36 minutes of quality programming :) This looks legit, but hard to reconcile with the other video that shows a bunch of people and kids standing around and then "whoosh!" it takes off. My son said it looked a lot like when Mythbusters launched water heaters in the air, but it has a nosecone and a bag of meat on top.

[video=youtube;M0WmenDhtaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0WmenDhtaY[/video]

We are all dumber for having listened to these guys! Seriously...my brain hurts from trying to endure those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I think they used steam. Honestly, I think a lot of people here could design such a vehicle with a little help. Working on a B-17 has shown me how strong you can make aluminum with a few bends and a few holes. Then you heat treat it and the stuff is really strong. I'm not saying I would ride in it, but I think I could build one. The guy is either really brave or just plain nuts; and I know how I would vote if we had to choose. I don't think he proved anything at all; so I'm not sure why he did it.

I'm just wondering how much of the money spent on this... ahem... adventure, ended up in Mike's pocket.

There are probably some legal issues with this stunt.

1) it was an unlicensed aircraft, crewed by an unlicensed pilot

2) most states have boiler or pressure vessel laws, relating to operation and maintenance by certified/licensed individuals.

I'm willing to bet that none of this was taken care of.

I do think he was stupid enough to ride it. If not I can't see them faking getting hurt on the landing. He would have popped out and started running around if they faked it.

I agree, especially THAT injury... I've seen that bent-legs treatment the EMT (or whoever it was) was giving him more than once - Every coach knows it.

Old boy took an epic shot in the jimmy from the five point harness when he hit the ground. Don't believe he'da faked that.

Mike gunna be "singin' sopranna" for a while, I expect...

I agree, especially THAT injury... I've seen that bent-legs treatment the EMT (or whoever it was) was giving him more than once - Every coach knows it.

Old boy took an epic shot in the jimmy from the five point harness when he hit the ground. Don't believe he'da faked that.

Mike gunna be "singin' sopranna" for a while, I expect...

Maybe for his next launch he'll install a third chute so he doesn't slam the ground so hard. He can call it "the Jimmy Saver"

Here are two more videos to feed your twisted curiosity of this launch. These are much more technical without the R rated commentary.

It looks like “Mad Mike” had already made this same flight in 2014 to an altitude of 1300 feet in Arazona. So, I’m not sure what he was trying to prove doing it again to 1800 feet?? It would be easier to fly Southwest Airlines for $99 to get a better view of the flat Earth from 33,000 feet.

The first video is the flight from 2014. The chute deploy looked like it might have gone early and was torn up pretty bad.

On the recent flight (second video) There was a third chute that did not deploy at all, maybe explaining the hard landing.

On the second video at about 8:45 you can hear the distinct beeps of an altimeter reporting out. Maybe a Stratologger? He says in one video that he pulled the chute himself, but makes you wonder if he didn’t have just a small dual deploy altimeter set to deploy chutes incase he passed out on ascent. That would be crazy...then again everything about this was crazy.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/lkKChMXJ3TM

https://youtu.be/j5xw3MM9G0E

But didn't you know? The airlines are in on the round earth conspiracy, and they curve the glass of the planes to make the earth look spherical. That's why all the millions of people who fly on jets still haven't believed that the earth is a disc.

Back