self-designed or scale rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Rocket Guts is considering to offer a kit to go along with our high quality parts. We would like to gauge interest in the types of rockets people would like to see us offer. Self-designed or scale rockets? Phenolic or Quantum or paper? Balsa nose or plastic?
Thanks.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Rocket Guts is considering to offer a kit to go along with our high quality parts. We would like to gauge interest in the types of rockets people would like to see us offer. Self-designed or scale rockets? Phenolic or Quantum or paper? Balsa nose or plastic?
Thanks.

I'd like to see something along the lines of AT. Sturdy materials, whatever they are. Something that'll land many times without having to be repaired. Definitely more than Estes strength.

Here's an idea. Sell a "kit" of tube (maybe slotted) and motor mount, and give, say, 3 choices of nose (conical, ogive or parabola) and 3 choices of fins (trapezoid, clipped delta, swept) pre-cut (with tabs to fit slots if used). When a person orders a rocket, they pick the nose and fins. One kit, 9 variations, one price. You have to stock noses, or have them readily deliverable, but if you're cutting fins these can be done as needed; you just need raw stock. (Recovery hardware included. Chutes are easy enough to come by.) A coupler and bulkhead, with an optional short tube as payload section options, and you effectively quadruple the possible results.

You can offer the details necessary to turn your "kit" into a scale bird (get conical nose and clipped delta fins, cut tube this long: Wac Corporal; with ogive nose, cut tube that long, IQSY Tomahawk; etc.), or they can "design" their own.

Since you have to write instructions anyway, do a bang-up job and include instructions on how to build for more power if desired, as well as basic stability planning and testing. That way the result is education in construction as well as a decent rocket.

For those who want to design their own, include contact info for custom vinyl decals, etc.

AT stuff is great, but a more generic construction would be easier for you to pull off and easier for others to modify and add to.

I vote for Scale!!

Low power, Paper,balsa, cardboard rings.

Fred

Well, here's what we were thinking. A limited edition rocket design that changes every (we've come up with lots of unique kits, but think a month may be to short) and is limited to 20 rockets per design. Our first one was going to be a simple 24mm motor mount (for Estes E with an adapter for a D) in a 3.9" x 16" rocket. It'll have flame shaped fins (cool?), slotted tube, phlexible phenolic, tubular nylon (or kevlar?), 2 colored vinyl flames, and Rockethead parachutes. It shall be dubbed...

Got Fire?

What do you all think? I really wanted my team to make a 29mm rocket, but after lots of thought we realized we havn't even launched a mid powered rocket before... But I've read a TON about it.

Thanks.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Well, here's what we were thinking. A limited edition rocket design that changes every (we've come up with lots of unique kits, but think a month may be to short) and is limited to 20 rockets per design. Our first one was going to be a simple 24mm motor mount (for Estes E with an adapter for a D) in a 3.9" x 16" rocket. It'll have flame shaped fins (cool?), slotted tube, phlexible phenolic, tubular nylon (or kevlar?), 2 colored vinyl flames, and Rockethead parachutes. It shall be dubbed...

Got Fire?

What do you all think? I really wanted my team to make a 29mm rocket, but after lots of thought we realized we havn't even launched a mid powered rocket before... But I've read a TON about it.

Thanks.

Sometimes pictures will do a better job of explaining/describing than words...

Got pictures?? :D

We are actually in the process of ordering enough materials to make 2 prototypes. Should have prototypes ready in 2-3 weeks.
Thanks.

Back