Self Defense

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmacklin

Reaction score
Imagine for a moment that you are at an organized rocket launch when suddenly and without warning an armed person randomly opens fire on both the participants and spectators. What would you do?

Here https://www.jewishjournal.com/opinion/article/my_experience_of_an_active_shooter_incident is what one courageous man did to protect not only himself but others who were also present.

The Right to keep and when necessary bear arms comes to my mind. An active shooter always has the element of surprise in his or her favor, but firearms in possession of people who are skilled in their use can quickly neutralize an aggressor and mitigate the damage that would otherwise be suffered. Police cannot be everywhere and in fact have no duty to protect the individual citizen. https://law.justia.com/cases/district-of-columbia/court-of-appeals/1981/79-6-3.html

In this dangerous world which we now find ourselves in I think this is a topic of relevant discussion, even among hobby rocket enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Jump in the nearest...

Recycling bin and...

Shelter in place...:cool:

Imagine for a moment that you are at an organized rocket launch when suddenly and without warning an armed person randomly opens fire on both the participants and spectators. What would you do?

I think this thread is going to get wacked fast... but anyone who tried that around here would be an amusing campfire story later that evening. ;)

Take cover, identify the shooter, return fire. Yes I am permitted, and do carry most of the time.

Three things to always take to the range: glass bottle, rag, gasoline. Quickly make, light and throw Molotov cocktail at shooter. Then roast marshmallows over the bonfire.

911 doesn't reliably work in many rural launch sites. Plus, launch sites like Black Rock are hours away for law enforcement.

Steve,

Mine was not a sincere response. I find the entire premise of the question absurd. I inferred the OP just wanted to get a rise out of people, so I provided the "other side" response he hoped for.

Now I am concerning myself with rocketry instead of inflammatory artificial scenarios

Steve,

Mine was not a sincere response. I find the entire premise of the question absurd. I inferred the OP just wanted to get a rise out of people, so I provided the "other side" response he hoped for.

Now I am concerning myself with rocketry instead of inflammatory artificial scenarios

[emoji1360]

The trouble with this is we're an unlikely target, and it's known people carry on site. Well if your doing it right no one knows..... but you know what I mean.

I'll give a sincere answer from "the other side".

I will probably die in a hail of gunfire. However, I will not spend every day between this one and that incredibly unlikely day (were it be at a rocket launch, restaurant, school, church, etc.) worried about such things. Just as I don't spend every day worrying that I will be killed in a car accident...which being I commute 50 miles a day in DFW is almost certainly a far higher likelihood event.

The trouble with this is we're an unlikely target, and it's known people carry on site. Well if your doing it right no one knows..... but you know what I mean.

Perfect answer. I know at least 3 that carry on our site. It would be foolish to try because we are not a soft target.

Please me this thread hospitable.

Perfect answer. I know at least 3 that carry on our site. It would be foolish to try because we are not a soft target.

Please me this thread hospitable.

Setting up pads one day I asked another member what he thought of the (now overturned) 7 round limit on magazines. Deadpan reply was "well most of my stuff is beltfed, am I supposed to break the links?"

Imagine for a moment that you are at an organized rocket launch when suddenly and without warning an armed person randomly opens fire on both the participants and spectators.

This is why I don't fly with you guys, I knew it was only a matter of time before y'all pissed off the wrong guy. ;)

Take cover, identify the shooter, return fire. Yes I am permitted, and do carry most of the time.

I and others will appropriately hide behind you and be willing to hand you your clips or speed loader.:smile:

Back in the late 60's police called my father and said the alarm went off at his blueprint/office supplies/photo-mechanical reproduction shop.
Officer met him at the door and my dad opened it. Both stood there for awhile and my father said, "Well, you're the one with the gun!" The policeman
said, "Oh yeah, drew his weapon and went in." Fortunately turned out to be a false alarm with the new fangled alarm and no break in occurred
Kurt.

In public, I carry 90% of the time... I also don't tell anyone that I carry (unless it is someone that trust unconditionally). If you see me at a launch and ask if I am carrying... the answer will be no... ;)

20160329_195737_resized.jpg

Take advantage of the confusion to load up on hardware and motors...

Big problem is too many have thought this same thing. People at theatres, church's, schools, bars... It sucks that bad things happen but in this case the Boy Scout Motto of "Be Prepared" takes on such a sinister meaning. A CWP is in my future as is the .38 Super I've had my eye on for a while, it's scary out there....

Take advantage of the confusion to load up on hardware and motors...
Does that mean we have to set fire to the popups, too? Where the heck am I gonna get my big screen TV in the middle of a dry lakebed?
I vote we go beyond 20 degrees and return fire...but first-drill the snot out of the delays!
( I have a new rocket name: Front Toward Enemy...)

Last edited:
I hear the NAR is shipping these as range safety tools as soon as they finish testing...

the-m2-machine-gun-browning-50-caliber-machine-gun-or-ma-deuce-is-C1FDPE.jpg

As some might know, I worked in law enforcement many years ago. I have seen evil! I grew up in NYC & I have learned that you trust NO ONE & I mean NO ONE to provide you safety except yourself. I have presented a weapon to protect myself 2 times in my "civilian life" thank God I did not have to discharge it, the perps in both instances were smart enough to retreat!
Why do I carry, so I can fight my way to my trunk so I can get to my AR-15, or MINI 14. Yeh, laugh at that, but I have to go thru a 3rd world neighborhood to get to work! I will not be surprised like Reginald Denny in a lawless environment! And we have seen many lawless environments in the US the last few years! And do not tell me I should avoid those areas, I as an American should be able to go anywhere without fear, and my weapons allow me that. The 2nd Amendment protects all our other rights!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back