Self-contained 12v Launch Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstone208

Reaction score
Got back into hobby after a bunch of years out. All kinds of new stuff (at least for me) like composite motors. Now looking for a self-contained 12v launch controller for my local launch site. Club launches obviously not a problem. The only thing I've found so far is the FullBoost Handheld Launch System from Pratt Hobbies. The Go Box and the Aerotech Launch systems won't work because it's too far from the parking area to the launch area. The expense of a GoBox; a small, portable battery like the LifePo and maybe a charger also approaches $100 or more. More than I want to spend or justify to the boss. Making my own is not an option. I can barely hook the clips to the igniter. Is there anything else available? Any other suggestions.

The Estes #2240 PSII Controller is a nice piece of kit - if using mundane C cells isn’t adequate you can use the built in connector for as big a LiPo as fits in the battery compartment.

Will four 3.6v 14500, or three 3.6 and one 1.5v, batteries damage my E Launch Controller?

Last edited:
Will four 3.6v 14500, or three 3.6 and one 1.5v, batteries damage my E Launch Controller?
Probably not - folks have rigged those as controllers using external 12V vehicle batteries. I don’t have any first hand experience but if it was me I’d avoid holding the launch button down too long 🤯

The PSll controller works great. Ive launched I’s. Couldn’t get a cluster of 3 I’s to launch though. Not enough current running through it. But have did a cluster of 3 C’s. The only bad thing is it only comes with 30’ feet of wire. I had to put an extra 75’ of wire to it.

Thanks much. Will use it mostly for E & F composites and Estes BP motors. Anything bigger will be at club launches. Will see if anything besides rocket motor generates smoke when I press the launch button.

Want to buy mine? Uses 12V motorcycle battery & remote switch. Comes in self-contained bag - Let me get some pictures.....

PSII launch controller is a great bet. I love mine (which has a 1250 mAh 3s li-poly inside).

That said, I have a Pratt Full Boost that has barely been used that I'd probably let go for very little (since, after all, I generally use the PSII controller when I fly on my own). I need to look at the Full Boost and make sure it's not been damaged by AA cell leakage from sitting for a long time unused.

PSII launch controller is a great bet. I love mine (which has a 1250 mAh 3s li-poly inside).

That said, I have a Pratt Full Boost that has barely been used that I'd probably let go for very little (since, after all, I generally use the PSII controller when I fly on my own). I need to look at the Full Boost and make sure it's not been damaged by AA cell leakage from sitting for a long time unused.
I might be interested

Probably not - folks have rigged those as controllers using external 12V vehicle batteries. I don’t have any first hand experience but if it was me I’d avoid holding the launch button down too long 🤯
It's never damaged mine, either in the 14500's or wired-to-a-12v configuration. I've launched clusters of D's this way, or single G's.

Back