• Have you entered ???
    LAUNCH LAB ROCKETRY GIVEAWAY

Selecting motors question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

ghp3

Reaction score
Hello:

I've been predominantly a low power rocketeer (BAR since last year) and am starting to move to mid-power, having launched a couple of G35 econojet powered rockets recently. One of the challenges that I'm having is selecting which engine to mate with a particular flight, particularly in the F and G ranges. Whereas low power motors are have average thrust ratings that are pretty standard (B4 or B6, C6 or C11, etc.), with mid powers there is a fairly wide range (e.g. G25, G35, G40, up to G125). I understand the basic concept of average thrust (a lower average thrust motor delivers a lower thrust but over a longer time, whereas a higher average thrust delivers high thrust for a short time), but I'm not quite sure how to decide what motor to use for a partucular rocket or flight. Any advice for a budding MPR?

Thanks!

George

ghp3

rbeckey

Reaction score
George,
Perhaps a eval copy of RocSim would help. There is a datbase with many fully "assembled" simulations on EMRR.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/rocksim_demo.asp

After a while you start to get a feel for what goes with what. The only thing I have been told and have observed is that RocSim sometimes makes delays a little too long. I have the full version and it is a great tool. Don't know what I'd do without it.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
General rule, the short burn/high thrust motors provide a more stable flight, especially in wind, but since you are accellerating faster, the force of drag is also higher, so you generally would get an lower altitude than with a longer burn, low thrust motor with the same total impulse.

loopy

Reaction score
Generally, if the rocket is built properly, it should have no problem withstanding the forces involved in the range of mid-power impulses. It really comes down to whether or not the delays match the rockets characteristics well enough to provide a safe deployment. Beyond that, higher initial thrust (as Doug said) will provide better speed off the pad, making for a more stable flight as wind conditions increase. Also, it comes down to personal preference. The different average impulses are brought on by different propellant types - White Lightning versus Blue Thunder versus Black Jack versus Econojet. It comes down to personal preference - do you like slower liftoffs, or do you want your rocket to scream off the pad.