Selecting a "jumpbag"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
At many group launches, it can be a long walk from the pad back to your spot on the flightline.

Some folks carry with them a small kit of supplies to the pad: tape, extra starters, emory board, etc. - kind of a mini version of an EMT jumpbag.

For those of you who have this practice - AND YOU DON'T CARRY EVERYTHING IN YOUR POCKETS, what do you carry your supplies in?

Thanks

Last edited:
A few starters, a set of allen keys, a magnet for the Featherweight magnetic switches used on most of my rockets, a Swiss Army knife, a Stanley Fat Max Torpedo bubble level, and masking tape. I don't put these in a bag, just in the pockets of my cargo pants or shorts.

I carry extra starters, a small screwdriver, masking tape, knife, flashlight, phone, to connect to my altimeter. All in the pockets of my cargo pants or shorts too.

I’m a cargo pants and hiking shirt kit guy too. Pockets stuffed with masking tape, mult-tool, igniters, sandpaper, phone (camera and altimeter interface). I always have binoculars around my neck, and my hat is part of my survival gear. I feel like I carry a few other things I can’t think of right now. One rocketry friend has a kid that hides donuts in his pockets, but that’s not what I’m thinking of.

Cyclist musette bags are good for this kind of thing. They're thin, semi-disposable bags used in pro and serious amateur races to distribute food and drinks from the team cars to their riders. Basically a purse, but with a different name and so simple and cheap looking that they don't impinge on my ever-important manliness credentials by enabling me to be accused of carrying such.

POELS-Wouter301p-630x420_1200x1200.jpg

Unfortunately they're awkward to buy in single quantities, I don't see any for what I would consider a reasonable price. But you can make one very easily with minimal sewing ability: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20012420/how-to-sew-your-own-musette-bag/

I've been hoping to find some nice solution ever since I switched to HPR and started needing more than a couple of igniters and a roll of masking tape. Thought about re-purposing one of my smaller old camera bags (1 DSLR + a couple of lenses capacity) because it has a really nice shoulder strap, doesn't gouge you, is water resistant, zips shut, has lots of pockets, and is basically bulletproof, but it's still somewhat larger than I'd really like. A photographer's vest is another possibility, but I don't really want to be wearing one in the 100˚+ heat that we have to deal with out here. I've seen people use the small flat Flambeau/Plano cases, but you can't get pliers into most of them. No obvious great solution for me but a small camera bag looks like the best hope.

I use a small tool bag. Has:

pliers
adjustable wrench
sandpaper
Steel wool
Stand-offs
Starters
Screwdrivers - plus and minus
Plus a small one for arming altimeters
Magnet
Hammer
Leather gloves
Allen wrenches
Pocket knife
Zip ties
Masking tape
Variety of 1/4-20 bolts and nuts and washers

and and assortment of small parts that have accumulated over the years.

I guess I'm on the opposite side of things. I usually only have my Leatherman Mini in my pocket. The igniter and plastic cap gets taped to the rocket when I head to the RSO so I don't have to carry even that. On the very rare occasion when that isn't enough, I take the rocket back to my table for repairs and let others launch.

I guess I'm on the opposite side of things. I usually only have my Leatherman Mini in my pocket. The igniter and plastic cap gets taped to the rocket when I head to the RSO so I don't have to carry even that. On the very rare occasion when that isn't enough, I take the rocket back to my table for repairs and let others launch.
I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the go bag. It's not to fix a rocket, it's to fix/repair/adjust GSE so you can launch. The sandpaper and steel wool are probably the most useful things I carry - used to clean up dirty or corroded alligator clips. The pliers and adjustable wrench are used to tighten/loosen connectors on pads, especially when changing from a rod to a rail or vice versa. A screwdriver is often required to loosen/tighten the eyebolts that are used to hold rods/rails in place. And of course masking tape is universally useful for many tasks.

I often volunteer as a pad manager and will work a bank of 4-6 pads. Having all those tools with me allows me to keep things moving along instead of running back to my easy-up for a tool to try and fix or adjust something that holds up the launch. But even when I'm just a regular flyer I always take my bag with me, if nothing else to help out other flyers who may need a hand.

Tony

Last edited:
I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the go bag. It's not to fix a rocket, it's to fix/repair/adjust GSE so you can launch. The sandpaper and steel wool are probable the most useful things I carry - used to clean up dirty or corroded alligator clips. The pliers and adjustable wrench are used to tighten/loosen connectors on pads, especially when changing from a rod to a rail or vice versa. A screwdriver is often required to loosen/tighten the eyebolts that are used to hold rods/rails in place. And of course masking tape is universally useful for many tasks.

I often volunteer as a pad manager and will work a bank of 4-6 pads. Having all those tools with me allows me to keep things moving along instead of running back to my easy-up for a tool to try and fix or adjust something that holds up the launch. But even when I'm just a regular flyer I always take my bag with me, if nothing else to help out other flyers who may need a hand.

Tony

Sorry, I guess I did missed the point of carrying tools. I'm probably spoiled, I usually launch at BattlePark and I've never needed any tools with the pads. I know some folks use WD-40 and green meanies to clean the rails occasionally, but even when working as pad manager I don't carry and have never needed any tools for the pads. It's mostly just to instruct new fliers on how to use the pads and pad boxes the fist time.

The pads have been outside 365 for 11 years now. The rails from Oct. to April over those same 11 years. The rails are needing replacement because the anodizing is getting very thin from exhaust and annual cleaning over the years and the aluminum is starting to pit. The LPR pads are a different story, but I haven't flow any LPR in years.

Screwdrivers - plus and minus

I really have not heard screwdrivers described that way before?!? :p Both eloquent and simple - I like it!

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned a fly fishing vest? I have one that has too many pockets/places to put things: Pliers, water bottles, whole fish, launch pads, the roads... Once you wash the fish guts out, I think it'd work great! 🤣

Most pockets have velcro or zippers - both outside and inside. It's a light colored vest - should stay fairly cool. Metal and fabric hooks to hang stuff. The vests can handle very big, and small things...

The outside front of this vest has no less than 14 pockets/places to put things!

20210724_174551.jpg

Last edited:
Here I go, being a contrairian again. I carry two things from the RSO table to the pad; the rocket in one hand, and the igniter in the other. I don't use any electronics or anything that needs to be activated at the pad. Tools stay at the worktable, or the truck. The exception to this is a clustered LPR flight. I'll prep everything *before* going to the LSO/RSO.

Not only have I NOT lost tools, every "big" launch I've gone to, I leave with stuff I've found. I find lots of tools left/lost at the pad (or nearby). These all go back to the LSO/RSO table (it's not my stuff). My big problem if my feet. I'm so unsteady, I walk looking down, a few feet in front of my feet. I've found all kinds of hardware and parts. I've got an aft closure for a 54mm AT case, an aluminum and a plastic nosecone tip, all sorts of hardware like quick links, not to mention rocket bits from "rekits".

Back