Seeking kit bash advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to build a retro rocket and am pondering the following: I have several Este Door knobs I picked up cheap ($23) a while back thinking I’d bash a couple of them. I’m not a fan of the DBRM but couldn’t resist buying one for $22 from Amazon. They share the same 3 inch BT. Combining the 2 by using the DBRM nose cone as a boat tail and adding long, droopy fins results in a sort of retro look. The nose cones and BT weigh in at about 10 ounces. I expect 3 fins, 29MM stuffer tube as a MMT, motor, parachute and nose weight to probably double the weight to 20 ounces. I may have to put large holes in the fins to keep the weight down. I’m thinking an Aerotech F-32 for this 36 inch long rocket. Below is a photo of a mock up with paper fin patterns.

This would be my most ambitious endeavor yet. I’m looking for feedback – any comments, criticism or advice would be appreciated.
Retro Kit Bash.jpg

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice, but Dam that's gonna be a Cool Rocket! I wish you the best of luck.

Those fins will need to be strong as they will be subjected to considerable forces on landing. Tou may need nose weight to offset the unique fin design. I hope it works as it will look cool.

This looks a lot like the Pemberton Technologies Bucky Jones rocket. Check it out.

Enter the design into Open Rocket to get estimated weight, CG and CP then go from there.
Looks very doable and unique.

Welllll........ terrible waste of a DBRM nosecone.
Just my $.02.....
Good luck with those fins that far ahead of the mmt and tailcone. Gonna need a Lot of nose weight.

I think it'd be a very cool bash! :clapping:
However, if you're not sure, you can try it first on a smaller scale with something like a Viking kit (assuming you got the bulk pack cheap or some sellers give them away). Those kits are cheap and the nose cones aren't anything special. I bashed one into a Tomahawk Cruise Missile with a nose cone boat tail.
IMG_20210405_192618847.jpg
IMG_20210404_075831794.jpg

Back