Securing E-bay in Payload Section

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcampb81

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am converting one of my SD rockets into a pseudo-DualDeploy, by installing an Avionics bay with an Eggtimer Apogee, then using a Chute Release on the main. On this rocket in the past, I have used the nylon rivets from LOC to hold the coupler in the payload section. The Avionics bay is just a standard 4inch from LOC and with the stiffy coupler, I don't believe the nylon rivets that I have will be long enough.

I originally planned to use 4 #10x1/2in Pan-head sheet metal screws to secure it, but the more I think about it, the more I think the screw thread won't purchase the cardboard of the rocket/coupler/stiffy and will just fall out during flight.

Would using drywall anchors be a good alternative?

I use metal screws all the time in LOC rockets. On the inside of the coupler, stiffy, I glue a pl;y plate with a blind nut in it for the screw to screw into.

For screws into cardboard LOC tubing I drill and thread a hole. Then wick thin CA into the hole and on the inside of the tube. This hardens the cardboard and a screw holds well.

I cut a circle the ID of the coupler out of a piece of 1 x 4 oak. I then cut out pieces about 3/4" inch long and 3/8" deep from the radius. Wood glue does a great job of gluing these to the inside of the coupler. Drill a pilot hole and use #6 1/2" flat head wood screws to attach the payload tube.
I still have a small bag of the wood pieces. One 4" diameter piece goes a long way. Once you cut out as many as you want, cut it down to the ID of 3" coupler and repeat the process.

BTW, with some sanding to round the edges so things don't catch on them, they work great inside BTs to anchor rail buttons also.

Back