Secrets of Soviet Space Disasters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderburner

Reaction score
It has been a while since I read the post, but somewhere here on TRF someone said that they'd like to see this TV show but did not receive the History Channel. Who was that?

The show was produced about 1999 and has been showing as part of the 'Modern Marvels' series on THC. It was on again last week and I taped it. I am NOT selling copies of this, but I will be happy to mail the one copy I made to whoever wants to see it. (I figure that you ought to be able to watch it within a couple weeks.) The one condition is that you have to send it on to whoever else wants to see it next. The tape cassette didn't cost me anything, the show didn't cost me anything, and I'm paying the first round of mail fees.

If you want to view this show then add a post below and email your mailing info to me at [email protected]

Secrets of Soviet Space Disasters

Includes footage of N1 moon rocket accidents, a bit of Russian V-2 coverage, Korolev and early R-7 footage, some Sputnik shots, mishaps in the U.S. Vanguard program, the Bondarenko fire/accident, the Medellin fire/accident (150 people dead), a few seconds of video of the U.S. Mercury capsule escape tower test ('capsule only' launch), Gagarin's first flight, Terechkova and Vostok 6, U.S. Gemini 1, Voskhod 1, Leonov's space walk problems, Korolev's death, U.S. Apollo 1 pad fire, Komarov/Soyuz 1 accident, some nice footage of Salyut in the factory, the 1971 Soyuz 11 accident, the Apollo-Soyuz project, the Soyuz T-10 pad abort, Buran shuttle, and Mir space station. Lots of interesting video, one hour overall including commercial breaks, but for more detail and background I would still recommend Oberg's book 'Uncovering Soviet Disasters'.
This video tape also has a couple episodes of 'Mail Call' that aired after the Soviet Space show. The second episode of Mail Call has some video of Redstone, Nike, and U.S. Army missiles.

I was going to the first to take you up on your offer, but then I went the THC's website and ended up ordering the DVD. It will not released for shipment until 7/13/05. The cost is $24.95 plus $3 shipping. I was tempted to order several DVDs at the same time but had to use self-control. :D

I have a tape of a Canadian profuce show call "The Secret Designer"

It's the story of S. P. Korolev. It inclued lots of old footage including the explosion of an R-7 rocket that killed 139 technicians.

And a shot of an N-1 lift-off and subsequent explosion at altitude.

It's VHS so if anybody wants to borrow it let me know.

Latest posts

Back