Secret Santa 2020

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas all!

Yes, the day is here, and as Ralphie Parker put it in "A Christmas Story"; “We plunged into the cornucopia quivering with desire and the ecstasy of unbridled avarice.”

My Secret Santa was most generous, and as a result my build pile is now +2 from what it was before... A Semroc Aerobee 150 and an ASP WAC Corporal with the Tiny Tim booster. (the Lego Saturn V was a gift from my Mrs.)

View attachment 443943

Now I need to work out just who this Saint Nicholas is/was. I've been monitoring posts to the thread so I can eliminate about eight potential Santas based on their reports of gift deliveries, but that still leaves a significant number of suspects. Looking at the date on the box from eRockets detailing when the shipping stamp expires, and taking into account posts detailing when their gifts were shipped, my initial 'line-up' consists of Brian Ditmer, Danh, Tobor, and Weetie11. Please forgive any false accusations if I am off the mark. To whoever it was, a most heartfelt "Thank You".
Sorry, but twas not me. 😁

I am the Madcow guy... Your SS! Merry Christmas!
Most generous dude, and much appreciated; thanks a bunches. The Cowabunga was one of my first HPR kits. It is a regular flier. I think I am going to cluster this one just to be different.
So that confirms I had another SS. No idea on that one for sure, but Thank You so much!

Opened my gifts from Secret Santa. Very cool choices! Thank you so much Santa! I think I will start with the Boosted Bertha since I have a thing for two stage rockets at the moment. View attachment 443934
As for my Santa guess, I will go with mikewrt. I believe my Santa is from Arizona and he's the only one obviously from there.

well mikewrt is not the only Arizonan :) I'm right on the border of Arizona and Nevada
I'm glad these got there before Christmas...but there's one more box coming. I just couldn't get it mailed out until today. That Thunderbird looks like a detailed build. You'll have to post a picture of these when they're built.

well mikewrt is not the only Arizonan :) I'm right on the border of Arizona and Nevada
I'm glad these got there before Christmas...but there's one more box coming. I just couldn't get it mailed out until today. That Thunderbird looks like a detailed build. You'll have to post a picture of these when they're built.
Well, with of all the resent information that has come to light I would like to guess Brian Ditmer as my secret santa. Thanks Brian! Yes, the Thunderbird looks pretty awesome and slightly challenging/time consuming. That's why I will start with the Boosted Bertha first. However, it does take me a long time from start to finish on a build. Plus painting season is nowhere near in Minnesota. I will definitely post pictures when they are done.

Well, with of all the resent information that has come to light I would like to guess Brian Ditmer as my secret santa. Thanks Brian! Yes, the Thunderbird looks pretty awesome and slightly challenging/time consuming. That's why I will start with the Boosted Bertha first. However, it does take me a long time from start to finish on a build. Plus painting season is nowhere near in Minnesota. I will definitely post pictures when they are done.
sounds like me in the summer. had to wait till October to get any painting done

Another hint for my recipient.
your gift was originally delivered by Balls 8 and one of the two men from Eagle involved..

Plus painting season is nowhere near in Minnesota.
sounds like me in the summer. had to wait till October to get any painting done

Our build seasons are almost flipped from those folks up north. Build in the hot summer months, and fly in the winter. Yes I fly year round but its definitely more comfortable this time of year.

I'm not sure who my Santa is.... hmmm seems there weren't alot of clues in the thread, come to think of it I didn't leave many myself. I need to research and reply back....

Based on a return address label and some other hidden clues I believe my Santa is from Minnesota or was using a secret conspirator from Minnesota. I'm going to take a blind stab and say my SS is........ @Mendal

Well, Secret Santa Rocked this year!
As stated before, I received two boxes form my SS. One was filled with D12 motors, five kinds of CA glue:oops:, a five piece sci-fi nose cone set and glue tips, which I am always buying but then losing. Now, I would have been happy with all that and called it a day, but oh no..... The second box contained the new Estes Saturn IB!!!! Now I have to find time to build it.

OH WOW!!! Thank you Secret Santa!IMG_6256 Reduced.jpg

Last edited:
Those that got a Saturn 1B, I am a little envious :).

Everything that I was expecting for the Papa Elf special has arrived. I will ship it out on Monday :). Those that offered to help pay for shipping, I will be contacting you once I get a final weight.

OK, so I managed to finally pull myself away from the annual Christmas Star Wars marathon.. (Have you seen it? This being a rocketry group I figure there are a few 'sci fi; fans out there.. :D )

Many thanks to my SS: a CTI 38mm 'starter set'! a 6 grain case, and a 3 grain case, with a set of spacers! Way too cool! thanks!

(I guess I now need to now take 'cases'; off my list)

And thanks, as I now have to redo all my fancy rocket /motor spreadsheets to now include CTI reloads! :D

I am bad a keeping secrets lol
So my first clue was
My avatar has something in common with your gift.
My avatar before I changed it this week was the lunar lander

Second clue was gift was originally delivered by balls 8 and had one of two men from Eagle...

So Gift was Dynasoar x-15.

Lunar lander
Eagle
= Neil Armstrong
Ball 8=
Tail number of B-52b delivery aircraft for x-15

Danh was my victim.

At long last the elves at the USPS awoke from their long slumber and my SS gift was delivered yesterday. 2 weeks to travel priority mail from WI to OH.

C2DBC0AB-DD91-4127-B173-352DD129111E.jpeg
Thank you to my Secret Santa, a very generous and perfect gift. I was actually eyeing this kit when I ordered my SS gift for my recipient. A great selection thank you!

My powers of deductive reasoning thinks that it is likely Tobor. Am I right?

At long last the elves at the USPS awoke from their long slumber and my SS gift was delivered yesterday. 2 weeks to travel priority mail from WI to OH.

View attachment 444731
Thank you to my Secret Santa, a very generous and perfect gift. I was actually eyeing this kit when I ordered my SS gift for my recipient. A great selection thank you!

My powers of deductive reasoning thinks that it is likely Tobor. Am I right?
No, 不, nein, ní hea, όχι... :) Not I.

Thank you so much to my SS!

My very first rocket build is going to be this amazing fiberglass kit!

I can't even begin to guess but I am super thrilled to start this new hobby and going to be needing help from @Weetie11 and Shane!

Attachments

• 20201231_205457.jpg
    20201231_205457.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 18
I got back from travelling and FINALLY got to open my SS gift! I got a MadCow 3" "Little John"!!!! Thank YOU Secret Santa!

I am going to guess it is from "AlanR"?

Oh good guess. I forgot to hide the billing address so probably not too difficult to guess.
You said you were heading for a L1 cert this year, so I thought you could use a nice 38mm bird.
I was also feeling a bit sentimental. I lived down there 30 years ago finishing school (UNA). Muscle Shoals sucked, but Huntsville was cool. Still have a couple of friends down that way.

Oh good guess. I forgot to hide the billing address so probably not too difficult to guess.
You said you were heading for a L1 cert this year, so I thought you could use a nice 38mm bird.
I was also feeling a bit sentimental. I lived down there 30 years ago finishing school (UNA). Muscle Shoals sucked, but Huntsville was cool. Still have a couple of friends down that way.

No Worries! It is an Awesome gift!!! Thank You! I always do a bit of "sleuthing" to aid in my guesses! I had four other "suspects" as well, you just happened to be first as I listed them in alphabetical order! *LOL* THANKS AGAIN!!!

I am getting ready to ship out the papa elf special. There were a few people that said they are willing to help out with the shipping for the package. I could only find one of the responses. So if you want to help out with the shipping of the Papa Elf Special, please message me. I will get the finial shipping numbers tomorrow, and would like to ship it Monday. Thanks!

Back