Secret Lab

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I am getting ready to update my webite, and I thought I would share a few pictures of the Secret Lab with TRF.

First is a pic of my design area. On the wall are my bagged kits, old and new.

Next is a view of the main assembly area, with some of my boxed rockets and starter sets above the work area. Main scratchbuilding parts boxes are on the shelves to the left.

Next is the finishing area. Masking, painting, decaling, etc.

Do you like my hi-tech 'paint booth'? :D

The assembly, and finishing areas are in a small front room.

Finally, Here is a pic of my fleet. All of these rockets are ready to fly.... or at leats will be with one evening's prep. :rolleyes:

Wow! Looks great Astro. Geez! You've got a lot of rockets there:D

Regards,
Todd

great pictures - its always nice to see how others arrange thier workspace. Looks like my kind of place!!

do you have any idea how much i envy you lmao... i have to work in my basement and if anything touches the carpet that is a liquid whether it be glue, paint, or me drooling at pictures like your fleet i get a little lecture on values :p

Great set up! Man, i thought *I* had a lot of rockets! LOL

You've inspired me! Now I have to get into the basement and dig *my* work shop out of the rubble and get it back into shape!

jim

Hey!

How about we all take pics of our shop...or multiple pics!

I won't for now...we were having company over the holidays and my wife MADE me clean up mine since you can see it from our TV room in the basement.

No fair cleaning up first!...This is a "come as you are" picture session.

Actually I wanna show my wife the pics so I can prove I'm not the only slob!

sandman

That's a good idea!! It would be cools to see everyone else's setup.

Rabid: I heard the same from my Mom when I was younger... but it was all about the wooden desk I built my rockets on. She refinished it for me. Well, she was right. I pretty much screwed up the top. This desk is now in my basement in the photo of my design area, under the computer!!

My secret was this: When my wife and I looked for a house, I made sure we purchased one with an unfinished basement. An unfinished basement is mine. A finished one would have been hers to decorate, etc.

Jim: You actually inspired me!! About a dozen of the fleet are my original rockets from when I was a kid. The rest are a mix of clones, newly built offerings from Fliskits and other small companies, some scratchbuilds, and a few newly built vintage rockets.

As for cleaning. I fill need to re-sort, pick up, and throw out a tone of stuff every 4-6 months. Moving into this little front room was a big step in that direction. To the right of my drillpress, I have my table top belt/disc sander, a 4" 1/4hp table saw, and a scroll saw. I have all of my hobby tools in the cabinet below the saws, and that helps keep the clutter to a minimum. The tables, desks, and cabinets are all old furniture that I grabbed for cheap at garage sales, from relatives, and from my own kitchen during an 'upgrade'.

The really weak area... still, is the 'paint booth' This spring I will work up a fan/dryer hose through the window.

I tried to have a secret lab once, but his barking always gave him away... ;)

I'd post some pics of my garage where I do most of my rocket building (also do some upstairs in my office), but I'm afraid I'd be raided by the health department, fire marshal, or Good Housekeeping. ;)

"Hi, I'm Ray, and I'm a slobaholic!"

I would post pics of mine, but I'm afraid my cam just lost battery power:(. Will post later.

well here we go... first at
this site is my rocket journal... if anyone wants to see what happens in the sheeeps head... (ignore the fact that is a free xanga site... i would spiff it up but i got one i actually use to record the boring days of my life... its a free image hoster so whatever... and umm... ignore the other pictures on it...)

next...

my secret lab:

here is my 3 am planning area

where i spend my insomniac sleep deprived nights...

heres the basement

ok so its alittle messy... i cant understand why my skateboards down there...

more of the mess...

range box in lower corner... and see that big tupperware container on wheels? the shelves? that was my secret lab for a few years before i got the basement... oh and that no tresspassing sign should be hung up i guess...

more of my little area 51

just note the hacksaw, jigsaw, rotozip, jigsaw blades, and sanders lying around on the floor... :p

CAN YOU BELIEVE MY MOM WANTED TO THROW THIS OUT!!!

so yeah thats gonna be my next one after the goddard project...

ok so my lab is kind of a mess but isn't that supposed to show pure geniusness or something?

OK, my website is undergoing a major overhaul, but I have completed the Secret Lab page. The pictures are much higher res than the little dinky ones I posted here, so be aware that if you have dial up, they will take some time to load. THis should give you much better insight to my little twisted part of the galaxy.....

here is the link:

https://towrowrow.tripod.com/astronboy/id40.html

Back