Second stage ignition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

JNUK

Reaction score
I was looking through photos from the last NARAM and found this model:

If I am right, the second stage is ignited electronically. Could anyone explain how it is done on that type of models. I mean a type of the igniter, battery, control circuitry.

Any relevant schematics, drawings pictures are welcomed.

Thanks.

gdiscenza

Reaction score
If that is for the internationals, the second stage is ignited through traditional gap staging.

Trip had a similar model at the July NOVAAR meeting.

G.D.

kjohnson

mox nix
Reaction score
On this particular model, the upper stage ignition was done using a Zitnan staging timer and a Quest Q2G2, which you can see poking out of the top of the booster.

Most of the US team uses something other than traditional gap staging, be it a timer (in the big booster that gets dropped quickly) or a wick of vitamin T, or simultaneous ignition like a cluster.

They CAN be done with traditional gap staging and that works great when using Estes motors. The euro motors aren't as reliable for that.

kj

JNUK

Reaction score
Thank you very much for you response

What type of batteries is used to power the igniter?

What is "a wick of vitamin T"?

Are there any drawings/ photos of such models available on-line?

Rocketboy25

Reaction score
Is it possible to get more information about,non electronic, staging in FAI contest rocketry.... ?
Regards from Germany ,
Jochen

kjohnson

mox nix
Reaction score
I've seen two non-electronic methods used.
1- a tube with a little black powder at the top that connects the 2 motors, is triggered by the booster burning out.
2- a small fuse in the upper stage motor lit by a 2nd igniter the same time as the booster is lit.

Both take a lot of practice to get right.

The gold medal winner for S1B at the WSMC used pretty much gap staging as deceived in the handbook of model rocketry, with a little BP on the booster to aid in upper stage ignition.

kj

Last edited:

jadeross

Reaction score
Good to your goal! I believe that it will be successful because you sounds enthusiastic in the things you do. I would love to see more photos of it!

astronwolf

Reaction score
Both take a lot of practice to get right.
...and some engineering. The internal components need to be vented properly so that the flame front from the burned-out booster doesn't just pop the upper stage off.