Search Feature: Getting Lost Makes Me Angry... Very Angry Indeed...

Discussion in 'Rocketry Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by K'Tesh, Jul 22, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jul 22, 2019 #1

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

[​IMG]

Somewhere on this forum... before the switch to the new software, I created a post showing off some of the new features of OpenRocket's Developer's Version. Focusing on the "clear" color for parts namely clear payload sections. Initially, I was going to use the nude male figure from the Voyager space project, but then I thought again about it, and I decided to use my own personal payload for such kits, a small Marvin The Martian figure.

This started a wave of discussion and I created the image above... Now, I want to see that thread again, but after over 10 tries with various search strings, I can't find the post. I seem to remember it being a "preview of coming attractions" and I believe that I used that string of words in the thread. I'm sure that I used the name Marvin too, but none the twain shall meet.

I also have a real hard time finding things that I know exist here (because I composed them myself, but they refuse to show up in the search feature).

So, with all the new software... Why is the search feature so weak? And, can someone find that thread for me?

2. Jul 22, 2019 #2

OverTheTop

OverTheTop

OverTheTop

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Try using the words you remember in google, and then look for any attached image in the post in the "images" section of google. I have been known to resort to that in the past.

3. Jul 22, 2019 #3

mpitfield

mpitfield

mpitfield

Moderator Staff Member TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

I could be wrong, however I believe that at one point, the forum or a portion of it was archived. You should post the question directly to Angie, she is the primary admin and has direct access to the devs.

4. Jul 22, 2019 #4

jadebox

jadebox

jadebox

Roger Smith TRF Sponsor

5. Jul 22, 2019 #5

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  6. Jul 23, 2019 #6

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Mod

Have you ever tried clicking on my threads or my responses to find your content?

Also, when you click on Search you need to make sure the "this forum only" is not checked. And best for your type of search is going to MORE and getting this search screen:

upload_2019-7-23_11-52-4.png

There are several variables, and you can see there are 5 tabs to choose to fill in criteria to narrow down the search.

Wallace and timbucktoo like this.
  7. Jul 24, 2019 #7

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

Actually, the search is pretty sad. It works as it's designed to, but we expect the search function to kinda "know" what we want, and that's why we seem to complain about it! (and give up!) And, the search is good for those familiar with Boolean type SQL searches. The old guy who uses a computer to read e-mail & surf the 'net might not know about search parameters as a programmer would..

I think, as well, there is hesitation as it's somewhat complex, and takes a bit of trial & error that many [probably] won't want to get into. I'll also add that we may only be thinking about the post we saw in one or two forums, not realizing the search will go thru one or all forums. There is no way to search more than one forum (unless you hold down the 'shift' or CTRL keys, but how many know about that?)

It also doesn't help that you may want to search for a string (like "Der red max"), but the search will then return all entries for "Der" and all entries for "red" and all entries for "max" (Does add a + in between words help return the intended string?)

I think that's another frustration some may have, that doing a search may take 2 or 3 tries, based on the returned results.. to get int narrowed down to a manageable list.

Having an 'exclude' may also help searches. if I'm searching for Der red Max, I don't want to see the 'Mega' der red max posts.. can I exclude "MEGA"?

What does "newer than" mean? is it format sensitive?

8. Jul 24, 2019 #8

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Mod

Enclose two or more words with quote marks so it will search that combination of words and not each word.

Newer than, July 1, would be everything that fit since July 1. So July 1 through now.

Put in "Mega der red" and that will exclude MEGA.

upload_2019-7-24_11-55-21.png

9. Jul 25, 2019 #9

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

but you might mean mega, regardless if upper case / lower case :D

(Sorry, just being a "smart-a..")

Again, some (most?) will find frustration due to the 'absolute'-ness needed in the search inquiry, or certain nuances that only programmers & database managers know..

If the tag "newer than" was changed to something like "date range" or "how far back (time)", it might be more intuitive as to how it functions...

Newer than: what if I enter 2019-07-01? would that return the same thing? What about 07-01-2019? or 2019/07/01? or 2019-July-07? It's not apparent as to what the syntax / format should be.. (And, again, forcing someone to play with it a few times won't make it popular..)

Do we have a "How to use the search feature" post & is it a sticky?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019