SD's Dr. Z Ares 1 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
Ok, before i go any further i would like to apologize to Dr. Z for about the Non-constructive criticism given by me, i should've known better. :eek:

Ok, this will be 1 of 3 entries in the TRF spring contest, now it is TECHNICALLY legit since the Ares-1 HASNT flown yet, or built as hardware, one could argue about the Ares-1-x But ill leave that to the judges. :cool:

Here i finished the nose cone:
30lfptx.jpg

and the finished rocket!
2aakepi.jpg

i think the flame fins came out great!

Launch video: [YOUTUBE]wyBYiNIqjp0[/YOUTUBE]

And the recovery:

[YOUTUBE]2ks-lwQNG7w[/YOUTUBE]

Awesome kit Dr. Z!
I learned tons of "how tos" from this kit!

Package.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, that was a little thoughtless:eek:

It might be more fair to Dr. Z to see if a mod can delete these posts and restart the thread in a different way.

Like perhaps addressing why this box arriving was a mystery. Did you not order it?

I have no clue what you guys are talking about.....:confused2:

Is this a review, or was another point being made?

Ya know there's a handy dandy little "edit" button at the bottom of yer posts... It's handy for when you do silly things like forget to attach the pictures you talked about through your entire post (and we've ALL done that at one time or another or more!) or when you do something silly like say something you kinda regret later for lack of tact or being factually challenged or insulting. :D

Try it out some time... I think you'll like it! OL JR :)

I know how it is.But remember, Balsa is just that.....SOFT.It`s a starting point to something great.....and a learning curve along the way.I remember my HPR kit from ******* , balsa nose cone ,balsa tail cone.Now remember ,I live in CANADA.....the kit came from Arizona (guess who) and the kit came to the door with the usual dings and ....whatever.The nose cone had tears in it (being a softwood ,it is expected) and the tailcone had the same thing.
Balsa wood does not like to be machined...period.But some filler...patience..and some 320 grit sandpaper (I prefer finish epoxy to coat the balsa)and you will have a nice product.

When you are used to styrene/blown nosecones....and you see those :eek:ne off " cones....it will send you off into a tizzy ( no reference to my boy Snoop Dog....who snizzles with the Estes bo bang with the CTI freek )

A little filler (Bondo for me ) and some 320 sandpaper will do you fine. AND..after the sanding ,to make the Balsa stiffer ,coat it in (apply by brush) some Finish Epoxy.
Hey kid ,I just got my Delta Heavy last month.....WE better wait on that one.OH YAH....got my Cosmodrome VOSTOK yesterday.....the box wiegh/weight (Hmmmm...what a funny word....and try to spell it) many a pouind.You want to see Balsa ?

Don`t forget ,many of the rocket kits we have to choose from ,are here, only because THEY make time to do so.

If you have any questions on ...well ..anything...just ask.

Hey ,I`m a hundered and two and I`m still learni`n.....but with 54mm.

When in doubt, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS...

Most balsa in Dr. Zooch kits are covered with paper wraps of some sort or other-- they don't NEED to be "pretty" because they're going to be glued over with a wrap or paper capsule anyway.

As for the parts that aren't-- well, let's just say that Dr. Zooch's kits are really BUILDER'S KITS... the way ALL kits were 20-30 years ago when I was a kid... No "buy-n-fly" stuff like now... you had to actually put some effort into building the thing and the results showed how good (or bad, impatient, whatever) you really were.

Besides, filling and sanding are GOOD FOR YOU! LOL:) Harden the nosecone with CA before you start and put some work into it and you'll end up with a terrific looking rocket.

Check this out... https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=45311&highlight=Dr.+Zooch (pictures of the cones are near the bottom and on page two!) That's what a little elbow grease can accomplish with balsa cones... :)

Later and good luck! Looking forward to your build thread! OL JR :)

Last edited:
Well here's the thing, all the wraps were missing :roll: I'm gonna ask the DR later today.

Last edited:
Well here's the thing, all the wraps were missing :roll: I'm gonna ask the DR later today.

Usually they're wrapped up inside the instructions and stuffed inside one of the body tubes... Did you look in there?? :D

If they are, pull them out, gently counter-roll them (in the opposite direction from how they're rolled up now) and put them under a few large heavy books for a couple days so they'll lay flat and be easier to work with.

Course the Doc hand packs these kits a couple dozen at a time, so he mighta missed them in your kit... if he did I'm sure he'll make it good almost as quick as you can let him know... :)

Later! OL JR :)

Well, like everyone else, I was in the dark over this thread as well. Today I got a message from the author and his complaints were of a dinged nosecone, frayed Kevlar, missing shock cord and a missing wrap (the kit has only 1).

As always I take all customer concerns at face value and replace all parts in question. As soon as I get the author's mailing address, replacement parts will go out by Priority Mail at no charge.

I hope that once the parts are received the author will continue this build thread so that we can all read and enjoy his experience. I'm very sorry this got off to a bad start, but I also thank the author for going back and giving me a fair chance to respond. Than was a very thoughtful thing to do.

Scrap...

You should never post about a problem, without first contacting the vendor privately, and allowing them time to fix it.

It doesn't matter who you are, or how good your products are, problems slip through. To me, the real test of a vendor is how they respond to problems. Dr Zooch has an excellent reputation not only for his products, but also for his customer service.

Now, that said, imagine if someone knows nothing about Dr Zooch, and comes looking for information, and the first thing he finds is your post. That's going to cast Dr Zooch in an undeserved negative light, and it's an uphill battle for Dr Zooch to fix it, from there.

You've said your dad owns a restaurant. Ask him sometime what the impact would be on his business if I were to have a problem with my food, and go start posting about the problem on forums where potential customers read, without ever having told your dad, or his staff, of the problem, and giving them the opportunity to fix it.

-Kevin

-- well, let's just say that Dr. Zooch's kits are really BUILDER'S KITS... the way ALL kits were 20-30 years ago when I was a kid... No "buy-n-fly" stuff like now... you had to actually put some effort into building the thing and the results showed how good (or bad, impatient, whatever) you really were.

The unvarnished truth!

You get out of it what you put into it. Dr. Z's little boxes are amazing for what can come out of them if you do not expect to pour the parts out and let them sort themselves out.

Scrap...

You should never post about a problem, without first contacting the vendor privately, and allowing them time to fix it.

It doesn't matter who you are, or how good your products are, problems slip through. To me, the real test of a vendor is how they respond to problems. Dr Zooch has an excellent reputation not only for his products, but also for his customer service.

Now, that said, imagine if someone knows nothing about Dr Zooch, and comes looking for information, and the first thing he finds is your post. That's going to cast Dr Zooch in an undeserved negative light, and it's an uphill battle for Dr Zooch to fix it, from there.

You've said your dad owns a restaurant. Ask him sometime what the impact would be on his business if I were to have a problem with my food, and go start posting about the problem on forums where potential customers read, without ever having told your dad, or his staff, of the problem, and giving them the opportunity to fix it.

-Kevin

More words of wisdom from which to learn!

I will add the following.

Dr. Zooch has always been great about bailing me out EVEN WHEN I LOUDLY PROCLAIMED THAT THE BLUNDERS WERE MINE. Unfortunately, this has happened more than once. His customer service is second to none. (And thankfully for the hobby as a whole, there are some other vendors out there just as good)

I grew up in the restaurant business as well. Here is a piece of wisdom my dad passed to me.

If a customer comes into your establishment for lunch and has a good meal, you are fortunate indeed if he remembers to tell his wife when he gets home (this reflects the wisdom as it was in the 60s). If, on the other hand, the customer has a bad experience, he will be telling everyone he knows 10 years from now.

Reputations are important and are to be zealously guarded. When things go wrong and a business does not live up to its end, it is fair game. The business should be given the chance to make things right though. Dr. Zooch has always tried to make things right for me. Just about the only thing he has been powerless to affect is my lack of skill...but its not from lack of trying!

I just recieved my Cosmodrome VOSTOK the other day....opened the box ,opened the bag and layed out all the parts on my bed.

I took a deep breath ,put everything away as best I could (must be a million parts in there) and sat at the end of my bed with my pillow over my eyes.

One day I`ll get up the courage to tackle the great beast that is the VOSTOK......

but not today.....

Paul T

Scrap...

-Kevin

GREAT points!

I'm sorta going through it now... needed a pair of new rear tractor tires, $535 each for US made Titans. Talked to the lady when I was checking prices, took a day to convince my Dad that it made more sense to buy 8 ply US tires instead of 6 ply Indian tires or 10 ply Chinese tires that were $50 each less, because who knows what the quality is on Chinese stuff (not good from experience, IMHO). Ordered them, had to wait a week for delivery. Were supposed to be in Thursday evening, but weren't. Found out Friday that they were on the front of the 18 wheeler trailer and wouldn't be delivered by the trucking company until Monday. Had a blowout on the pickup going to get them after the bus route Monday evening, got there 5 minutes before closing. Saleslady didn't order the inner tubes, and only had one on hand. I noticed on the way home she overcharged me by $40 a tire, and since I confirmed the price when I ordered them, I called her back the next day to ask about it. Said she'd "call me back" and over 2 days play phone tag until I FINALLY get the refund for the overcharge. Tire guy had family problems and couldn't come out til Tuesday evening, and I had to run 15 miles to another location to get the tube on Tuesday. Tire guy installs the tires and I start cutting hay that needed to be cut two weeks ago, quality going to pot. Started cutting and two hours into the job, the left rear goes flat. My brother and I air it up three times to limp it the 1/2 mile to the shop at the other end of the farm. I let the tire guy know, he gets a different tube from his supplier and comes out at 6:30pm to fix it. Thought maybe the tube was pinched during installation-- turns out to be a faulty tube (failed glue joint from the factory). Called the saleslady who says she'll talk to the company and call me back (this after the like tenth time she said she'd call me back and has only actually called back ONCE and that was about 15 minutes after I'd called her the second time THAT PARTICULAR DAY after giving her a day or two to find out whatever and 'call me back'.) SO, now after calling her Friday morning about the faulty tube, requesting a $50 refund on the tube and seeing if they'll reimburse me for the $37 service call to replace the faulty tube, she's waiting to hear from her 'distributor' because she's got more faulty tubes there and other guys wanting their money back as well, and she hasn't "heard back from him" and "I'll call you back."

What an odyssey! You'd think with a nearly $1200 sale that they'd be a BIT more interested in customer service!

Funny how that works... Dr. Zooch sells terrific, fun, interesting, innovative, skill building kits with good parts for about $25 each (for most of them-- compare that with the prices for Estes "buy-n-fly" stuff which is almost always MUCH higher priced!) and if you have a problem will bend over backwards to make it right and get you what you need to get going again. Some of these tractor/equipment dealerships will leave you hanging on a several hundred or thousand dollar sale with thousands of dollars of crop or jobs hanging in the balance at risk from weather and such without breaking a sweat...

Reminds me of the time I was in Dyersville, IA at the National Farm Toy Show... I wanted to tour the Spec-Cast factory and Ertl plants. I was a little late (closing time, actually) and wanted to buy a rare 1/8 scale toy tractor for a project I've had in mind... I flew up in front of the offices and jumped out of the truck as an elderly old gentleman plainly dressed in slacks and a sweater vest was stepping out and locking the door. I asked if I missed them, and he said yes, but offered to help me, and asked what I needed. I told him, not expecting anything but "sorry, try again Monday" but he said, "well, let's see what we can do-- follow me to the Spec-Cast plant office down the road". He got in his ~1986 Ford van and I got in my 92 Ford pickup (this was in 98 or 99, BTW) and followed him to the other plant. He opened up the office, we went in, and looked around, but no 1/8 scale models. He said they might have some set aside in the plant for QC inspections, and he'd sell me one of those if I could live without the box, which of course I could... he told me how a lot of "collectors" want the box because it brings more when they sell it. He opened up the factory and we went inside, and climbed up to the attic area above the offices, where there was a large number of cast tractors. After about ten minutes of searching, we found exactly what I was after, and we returned to the office building/company store so I could pay him. After thanking him profusely for his time and trouble (it was now pushing 5:20 pm or so!) I told him my name and shook hands. "Hi... I'm JOSEPH ERTL III!!!!" I was FLOORED! I visited another couple minutes, and told him, "Ya know Mr. Ertl, last year we bought a $10,000 tractor from our local dealer for the farm. I have to tell you, we got better service on this $100 toy tractor I just bought than we did on the $10,000 REAL one we bought last year... you spent a LOT more time and effort than they did to get us what we needed and get me fixed up, and I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!" He smiled and shook my hand and said, "that's what we're in business for" and locked up, and I thanked him again for his time as he got in the van to drive home.

Now THAT is customer service! It's rare, and when you get guys that provide that rare kind of customer service, like Joe Ertl III, Wes at Dr. Zooch, Carl and Sheryl at SEMROC, and Tim Van Milligan and crew at Apogee (to name a few of the outstanding vendors that I personally have experience with, which is SURELY an incomplete list and not denigrating or ignoring anyone else!) I for one like to support them wholeheartedly to the extent that I can, and providing a bit of "free word of mouth advertising" whenever I can. We need all the great vendors we can get!

Yall take it easy! OL JR :)

Last edited:
Back