SD card question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm dipping a toe into mounting a camera on my rockets. Got a Runcam2 4K. Anyhow that'll be a whole other set of questions. SO, the Runcam2 says to use a 128 G SD card formatted to FAT32 (whatever that is...) :dontknow: However when I put the card into my laptop to format it, the only choices are EXFAT or NTFS. No FAT32. I'm gonna ask Runcam, but I thought I'd ask you fellers, since yous guys seem like a bunch of rocket scientists... ;) SO is the EXFAT OK, or do I need to figure out how to get FAT32 on my laptop?
Thanks fellers. :popcorn:

It comes formatted as FAT32 so you shouldn't have to do anything. If you have any question, have the camera format it. That way you're 100% sure it'll work.

I have the RunCam2, but not 4K. The WiFi is nice, but it sucks a lot of battery power. I use it sparingly and rely mostly on the on/off and shutter buttons.

As a cheap alternative to GoPro, it fits the bill. However, my experience with it in rocket flights is 50/50. I had corrupted files written to the SD card that took me a while to decifer. Also, the power or recording is prone to shutting off at inopportune times. A hard deployment event or landing can do that. Just last week, the damn thing seemingly shutoff a just few seconds after I pressed the shutter and walked away from the pad.

If you format the card exFAT (extensible FAT) I seem to recall that most systems will be able to use the card but you are limited to the 4GB capacity that FAT would provide. The rest is inaccessible. You can reformat later.

As heada suggested, format it with the camera if possible.

FAT = File Allocation Table. It is the way the disk (or SD card) keeps a directory of files on the storage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Back