Scud B Scratch Build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
I have had a few requests for the Scud nose cones so while I was making some for customers I made an extra one for me.;)

I've done a lot of documentation on what first appeared to be just a simple 4 fins and a nose cone.

It's a lot more interesting than I first thought.

Lots of panels, seams, flanges and "stuff".

The first pic shows the majority of the parts. A BT-70 body and of course...a custom nose cone.

Second pic shows the balsa parts.

Third, the paper parts. The Scud B looks like it was slapped together in a hurry with wrinkly sheet metal and a whole bunch of rivets.

Parts layed out.JPG

Balsa parts.JPG

Paper parts.JPG

Last edited:
The first pic shows the fins profile...it's different.

Next, the fins are attached.

Because of the detail "flange" I can't really do a good fillet so I used a push pin to punch holes in the body tube for "glue rivets". The fins are really thick (3/16") so there is a lot of surface area for the glue.

Next will come some conduits and a lot more panels.

Cardstock printed and cut should simulate the sheet metal parts.

I didn't show the motor mount build 'cause I already had a tube with an E motor mount glued in it. Can't remember why...

This should fly on an E9-6 but I will do a RocSim before I fly it.

Aren't those fins busy as all get out?:cool: There's a lot going on back there!

The only thing I left off are the control vanes. They would get in the way of the motor.

Fins sanded.JPG

Fins glued.JPG

Last edited:
All finished.

Well...I may do some rivet detail...I may not:p There are a lot of rivets!

She needs primer them just olive paint. All one color no masking! I like that.

Now where can I get some Russian stars and some syrillic lettering (stencils)?

I hope Phred gets back real soon!

No rush on the decals. Here in Michigan it will be a while before I can paint anything.

Scud finished.JPG

Last edited:
Looks a heck of a lot better than my Estes Scud-B, Gordy - awesome!

all I can say is droollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.. ps the tips of the scud be if yellow means its a nuke bout 1/8" totel on your cone i think.

SNIFF SNIFF I SMELL NEW KIT!!!! :D

paper scud.jpg

Last edited:
Looks a heck of a lot better than my Estes Scud-B, Gordy - awesome!

I think mine is more accurate.;)

I may kit a few but right now I have a lot of irons in the fire.

First...I gotta see if it will fly.

Charlaine, what model is your in the picture? I like the decals, especially the stencil lettering.

Maybe I could scale those decals for my model.:D

The details printed on the paper panels (actually it's 60# cardstock) will be covered up by paint. Her's what I'm going to do.

I'm a big fan of paper parts to simulate panels and seams. The panel lines will show up after it's painted. The details I printed on the panel lines are rivet and screw head details.

Those details printed on the panels will let me apply Elmer's glue with a toothpick, just a tiny drop at each rivet. The "bump" left by the glue dot will represent a rivet quite effectively.

Hinges and latches can be made from whatever scraps I can find that look right.

I hope.

I just have to sit down in front of the TV with a bottle of Elmer's, some paper towel, a Q-tip and a toothpick and do it.

The trick is consistancy.

The great part about doing the detail like that is whenever you make an oops a clean Q-tip can wipe the mistake away. Then wipe the Q-tip on the paper towel and try again.

Elmer's is very forgiving.

I love Elmer's.

If you do, PLEASE let me know... :cool:

If there is enough interest I will.

I'm always looking for scale kit ideas and I don't know if anybody else has done a Scud kit besides Estes.

Anybody know?

Hopefully it flies better than the ones did in Desert Storm... A big metal firework w/no consistency at all! Good looking rocket though! Way to keep innovating and going for new stuff!! I like all the detail you put into it!!!

Man that looks great! I have the NC for the BT-80 already, but now I need to get some of those other patterns that you've made (or have to re-check the PDF's that you sent).

Last edited:
SWEET! Now you can ignore part of the e-mail that I just sent!

laser cut parts here I come!

Man that is hot sandman! I love scuds and have wanted to build a bigger one than what estes makes for a long time. I hope you do put a kit out, and I REALLY hope I have money for it. :) Looks great like always Mr. Sandman...don't you ever tire of perfection? ;)

The details printed on the paper panels (actually it's 60# cardstock) will be covered up by paint. Her's what I'm going to do.

....snip.....

Those details printed on the panels will let me apply Elmer's glue with a toothpick, just a tiny drop at each rivet. The "bump" left by the glue dot will represent a rivet quite effectively.

......snip.....

Gordy,

On my GMD Missiles that you made the nose cones for me, I used the Elmers wood filler. I added enough water to make it almost a liquid, like you I used a toothpick to dab a bit on the BT for where the fasteners are. On the real missile, we RTV'd over the fasteners, so this technique almost replicates it exactly.

With it being a Russian rocket, I doubt they worried about RTV'ing the fasteners, etc.

Fine looking build, looks like it should be a stable flyer! :cool:

Last edited:
Gordy,

On my GMD Missiles that you made the nose cones for me, I used the Elmers wood filler. I added enough water to make it almost a liquid, like you I used a toothpick to dab a bit on the BT for where the fasteners are. On the real missile, we RTV'd over the fasteners, so this technique almost replicates it exactly.

With it being a Russian rocket, I doubt they worried about RTV'ing the fasteners, etc.

Fine looking build, looks like it should be a stable flyer! :cool:

As you can see...no, they weren't too fussy.:rolleyes:

FIN PLANFORM.JPG

If you kit a SCUD, I'd like one. Great looking rocket; do you plan on flying it on an Estes E9?

Thanks

PS: Charlaine, that cardstock model looks great!

If you kit a SCUD, I'd like one. Great looking rocket; do you plan on flying it on an Estes E9?

Thanks

PS: Charlaine, that cardstock model looks great!

Maybe...more than likely but, not until late summer. I'm trying to get everything together to re-release a bunch of old kits...If Excelcior ever shows up again.:rolleyes: I need decals!

Yes, an E9-? I haven't got that far yet.

thanks I am hopeing to build a few more of the different types. I'm trying to learn how to use photoshop I want to make them like the ones found in iraq.

I've built several TLP Scuds, even flew one on a pair of E9-6s. Still have the plan pack. Tends to blow all the bulkheads out though.

is there any way you can scan and send me the plan pack? I've been dieing to build a TLP SCUD forever and have searched high and low for the plan pack. Would be much appreciated.

Performance Hobbies has the TLP Scud-B Plan-Pak. I had to get one after this thread. :)

FINALY!!! A break in the weather. It was warm enough to paint yesterday. A little cooler today but I think I can shoot the green on this afternoon.

The glue "rivets" weren't at hard to do as I first though, I could do a few get tired of it and put the model down and get back to it later.

If I wasn't happy with them I could just wipe them off with a paper towel and start over.

I actually did the rivets while watching TV and just doing one or two panels at a time.

Yes, this will be a future kit!

rivets.JPG

more rivets.JPG

primed.JPG

Last edited:
IIRC Sport Rocketry ran a page by Peter Alway on the Scud. That's when I learned that there are wiring tunnels on both sides of the missile. The TLP plan-pack shows just the one btw.

Well, I got it painted green but...the freakin' paint won't dry!:mad:

After 10 hours it's still tacky!

I didn't have any Krylon green so I used another brand from my local hardware store. That may have been a mistake. It's not even the right color green!

Let me get on some other project and hope it drys in a few days so I can move it at least enough to take some pictures.

I can't even touch it. I would leave fingerprints!

OH, and BTW, mine does have two conduits (wire raceways).

I used the info from Mike Dorffler.

Last edited:
Finally decided to complete the decals (as in DRAW the decals!;) ) and applied them on the model.

The decal lettering is...well...I'm not sure what they are supposed to say or represent in syrillic and I haven't found a good syriliic "stencel" font so I've been basically drawing the letteringfrom info on the Dorffler discs.

I think it looks OK but I'm not completely stisfied yet.

After all, it is =scale=.:eek:

It does need a coat of Dull coat yet.

New Scud B.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great Gordy!

Hope you're feeling better!

My BT80 SCUD is high on the build pile (in fact the MM is already completed)!

I have a few of the BT-70 Scud B kits left over from NARAM.

PM or email me for details.

Eventually I'll have all of the Roachwerks kits on the Excelsior web site.

Eventually.:eek:

Back