Scroll saw use and blade availability (?)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
I have a design where I want some complex curves in a piece of G10. I have cut G10 with a Dremel, bandsaw and handheld jigsaw in the past, and I could do it here (at least the Dremel option maybe by nibbling away and sanding a lot), but there are a lot of curves and some that are fairly tight plus the G10 is fairly thick (3/16") so it would be hard with any of the above tools. So instead I was thinking of using my Harbor Freight Scroll Saw IF I HAD a diamond wire blade. I know they sell diamond wire blades for handheld coping saws and I have seen carbide grit wire blades for scroll saws (I believe they call them sanding or file blades). The later might work but would probably wear down quickly with that thick of G10. Has anyone seen/used diamond wire blades for scroll saws? (BTW, the blades for the HF saw are fairly standard 5" length with pinned or plain ends).

Last edited:
Darn they are proud of them. But yes if it works and last well. Then the price is good. Looking forward to finding out how they work.

Carbide grit blades work well on G10 and will last a while. Don't push them too hard.

Yes it did. Slow going through 3/16" G10, but I was able to follow some fairly complex curves and get the fin profile I wanted.

Yes it did. Slow going through 3/16" G10, but I was able to follow some fairly complex curves and get the fin profile I wanted.

Did you notice any significant wear to the blade when you were done? Can you give a rough estimate of how much you cut? As in linear inches?

Did you notice any significant wear to the blade when you were done? Can you give a rough estimate of how much you cut? As in linear inches?

I'd say 100 inches. And yes there was wear. About 3/4rs of the way through I flipped the blade so it would hit in a different area. Overall though, cutting complex curves can get expensive.

I'd say 100 inches. And yes there was wear. About 3/4rs of the way through I flipped the blade so it would hit in a different area. Overall though, cutting complex curves can get expensive.

That's pretty good. Seems the biggest benefit is in time savings, not having to change blades. I cut G10 on the scroll saw with regular blades, but you go through a lot of them - they're obviously far less expensive though. Horse apiece I guess, going to try the diamond blade anyway. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for share the post with us

I have used one of these blades in my Harbor Freight Scroll Saw. I found out that [1] take your time, really take your time. [2] they break easy [3] they dull fast if they get too hot.

Back