Screwy OpenRocket error message

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhkaiser

Reaction score
OpenGL ES Error

Can't find the name of Intel ICD OpenGL driver

---------------

I get the above error message every time I open OR. I "OK" it 10 times and then OR opens and runs fine. Any idea what is going on? This is on a new Win10 machine.

Likely this is a video driver issue. Best , very experienced thought, is that the manufacturer is using a generic intel video driver. Go the the manufacturers website and download their specific video driver. Install it, reboot, and try it.

Also, if brand new machine please make sure you run Windows update.

Thanks Mark. Checked and windows update is on auto update. Downloaded the latest driver for my video card and installed and rebooted. Still have the same error message.

Likely this is a video driver issue. Best , very experienced thought, is that the manufacturer is using a generic intel video driver. Go the the manufacturers website and download their specific video driver. Install it, reboot, and try it.

Also, if brand new machine please make sure you run Windows update.

Ok. Do you have the latest Java on the machine? OR is so Java dependent that this could be an issue.

Being Java driven is one of the reasons I am not a heavy user of OR.

Last edited:
Java web site says "You have the recommended Java installed (Version 8 Update 111)."

Thanks Mark. Checked and windows update is on auto update. Downloaded the latest driver for my video card and installed and rebooted. Still have the same error message.

Java web site says "You have the recommended Java installed (Version 8 Update 111)."

That's probably the culprit here. Have seen similar in IntelGPU/Win10/Java combos.

Solutions there typically involved rolling back Windows patches and/or Java updates, which is super not recommended for the average user.

What's happening is Windows is trying to hand off OpenGL calls to the Intel driver a bunch of times and failing. It then gives up and uses a software layer.

There may be a way to tell OR / Java to only try software rendering, but I'm not immediately aware of it.

On my Win 10 machine, I have to turn off hardware 3D in order to not get glitches. I use the following command, give it a try:

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar OpenRocket-15.03.jar

Makes it useable, but no fancy 3D rendering.

Well the software runs fine so for now I think I will just live with the slow start ok'ing the 10 error messages.

Strange, I'm getting eh same error message. Never had it before, also this is a new PC..

Figure it would have been rectified over the past 5 years!

Any ideas?!

Strange, I'm getting eh same error message. Never had it before, also this is a new PC..

Figure it would have been rectified over the past 5 years!

Any ideas?!
Try going to Preferences > Graphics and unchecking all three boxes under 3D graphics. Then tick them back on starting with the top one and try restarting the software. For me, leaving the bottom one off seemed to solve the issues I was having.

Tony

In order to get OR to run on my Win 10 machines I had to run it in Windows 8 compatibility mode. Give that a try. Also, like H. Craig mentions above, install @neil_w 's packaged as it has an older version of JAVA that OR uses.

I don't fully understand what's going on with Java and new opengl libraries, on several platforms and several applications (google "java opengl bug" and you'll see what I mean). I get the error in both 15.03 using Java 8 and current development builds on Java 15, running Linux.

In the Linux world, I was able to add old opengl libraries to my 15.03 AppImage, which seems to have cleared it up. I don't know whether @neil_w's Mac and Windows installers fix the problem...

If anybody reading this is knows anything about opengl programming in Java, your expertise would be welcome!

Last edited:
Back