Scratchbuilt Fleet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elapid,

Great looking fleet! :cool:

After looking at the picture of your USR Sonic 3100 & then the orange & black rocket (on the left) in your picture here, I've noticed that you've done some really sweet fades in your paint jobs. Would you minding sharing what your technique is on that? Thanks!

it looks good at 50' or 50 mph
:D

i got the color transition idea from someone's pic here. i just spray the model just past where i want the transition with the lower color, then overlap the next color slightly. no special technique, just hold the spray can at a distance of 10 - 12 inches to get a nice light mist of paint.

i'm down to silver and clear paint
:(

i gotta go shopping!
hehehe

Here's a shot of my "not quite all scratch built fleet". The V-2 started as a kit, but has scale fins. The Vega is a QModeling kit. The "mean machine" looking model is my homebrew clone, called "Average Contraption".

len.

how well does that little fat one with the tiny fins on the right fly?

Originally posted by Elapid
it looks good at 50' or 50 mph
:D

i got the color transition idea from someone's pic here. i just spray the model just past where i want the transition with the lower color, then overlap the next color slightly. no special technique, just hold the spray can at a distance of 10 - 12 inches to get a nice light mist of paint.

i'm down to silver and clear paint
:(

i gotta go shopping!
hehehe

haha You had me fooled! :D

I've done a few fades on my rockets with Krylon but yours looked like a shorter fade distance that gave me the impression perhaps you had used an airbrush... Keep up the good work!

The four stager is the Rheinbote discussed in another thread.

The "little fat one on the right" is a sport scale ATACMS. See, for example,

https://immc.redstone.army.mil/immcpublic/rd/net/atacms.html

There's a lot of lead shot epoxied into the nose; it flies reasonably well, though it does have a tendency to make long gravity turns and fly a long way downrange.

It has a 24mm motor mount, and though it will fly on a D12-3 it really wants an E15-4, or even better an E30-4.

Here's the paint scheme I modeled:

i got nothing on YOU!
whoa!
that's a lotta rockets!
you must not fly them much to have so many beauties
;)

heheheh!

Back