Scratch scale 4 in. Mega Sprite

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slickwilly

Reaction score
I designed this as close to scale as I could get but I'm not sure if this size Sprite would work without tearing the fin ring off at HPR launch. I have a 2 in. version ready to paint and I can't wait to give her a ride when it gets warmer. I had planned on using Estes E's. This 4 in version is a bit pricey because the ring runs $36.25 at Public Missles, unless you could find a substitute ring material. Thought this 4 in would be interesting to look at, so if anyone has an idea if it would work let me know.:tree:

:merry-christmas:

View attachment Scratch Scale 4 in Mega Sprite.rkt

Scratch Scale 4 in Mega Sprite.jpg

Last edited:
A guy in our club built a 5 1/2" & a 7 1/2". I believe he used card board tube & wraped it inside & out with carbon fiber.

That's absolutely outrageous! But I think that the 4" Sprite would be impressive enough for me (at least for now). You can probably make a hoop for the ring out of something like 1/32" light plywood (if it wouldn't be too heavy), possibly reinforced with a layer of light fiberglass. If you had the Sprite recover via rear ejection, so that it landed nose first, you might be able to make the ring fairly light and not have to worry as much about it breaking when the Sprite landed. A fair amount of the mass would be outside of the rocket and at the other end of the shock cord during the recovery.

MarkII

At first i thought the upscale was a 16 inch high sprite, and i was not impressed, then i saw the pictures - makes you go weak at the knees.

So....for that Godzilla Scale Sprite, how well did the tumble recovery go? :y: :D :y: :D :y:

MarkII

Back