Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Well, I completed my first scratch built rocket in probably 20 years. It's based on the Quest Big Betty, but I put a 24mm motor mount in it. As usual, I started on the motor mount. I used epoxy throughout. I tied the Kevlar cord to the motor mount tube, and epoxied it good. I cut the fins from 1/8" basswood.

feminine_side2.jpg

feminine_side3.jpg

feminine_side4.jpg

After sanding them, I used my homemade fin jig to attach the fins. It works great!

feminine_side8.jpg

feminine_side13.jpg

I used epoxy for the fillets and 3/16" launch lug. I had poked holes in the body tube along the fin lines for epoxy "rivets". After all the epoxy had set, I gave her a coat of primer.

feminine_side14.jpg

feminine_side15.jpg

feminine_side17.jpg

feminine_side18.jpg

My friend Stefanie had suggested I make a black rocket with pink polka dots. I took it as a challenge, and I don't think she believed I'd do it. I painted the entire rocket pink. To make the polka dots, i put strips of painter's tape on wax paper, then punched out small circles with an arch punch. It worked well, but it was difficult to peel the wax paper off of them.

feminine_side20.jpg

feminine_side21.jpg

polka_dots1.jpg

polka_dots2.jpg

polka_dots3.jpg

I put the tape discs all over the pink rocket, then painted her black. It took several coats to completely cover the pink. After the black paint dried, I removed all the tape discs. It wasn't that easy, and I scratched a little bit of the black paint off in places. But by golly, there are pink polka dots!

feminine_side22.jpg

feminine_side23.jpg

feminine_side24.jpg

It looks pretty good from a distance, when you can't see the flaws. I have to admit, overall the thing is pretty ugly! Ugly, but very unique. I have dubbed her "My Feminine Side". She's a light rocket, and with D12's or E9's, she should scream off the pad. Ugly or not, building her was a lot of fun, and flying her will be even more fun!

She's dedicated to you, Stefanie!

feminine_side26.jpg

feminine_side25.jpg

feminine_side27.jpg

It looks like the Estes Big Bertha.Nice rocket.Alex:D

Thanks for the compliment! I believe the Big Betty is Quest's version of the Big Bertha. Biggest difference is Betty has three fins and Bertha has four.

Which means 25% less sanding!

Nice job! I really like your fin jig!

I never thought about the sanding! LOL

I've always preferred three fin rockets, mostly because they don't teeter when you stand them on their fins. (Yeah, I have issues!)

I love the fin jig, I wish I could take credit for the idea. It was easy to build, you can see it on my thread here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=9694

Everyone finishes there rocket to how they are happy with it so everyones is a little different.I finish my rockets until i am happy with them, some people spend forever finishing there rocket and that is to long for me.Here is my expediter done with the base coat.My picture of the other half of the rocket is not working.Alex

IMG_1369.jpg

Do you have plans for the fin jig you are using? I would like to try and make one. Looks interesting. Is the string all in one piece? What are the angles of the wood? Thnaks for any information.
Nukemmcssret

Do you have plans for the fin jig you are using? I would like to try and make one. Looks interesting. Is the string all in one piece? What are the angles of the wood? Thnaks for any information.
Nukemmcssret

I don't have plans, but you can see my original thread on it here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=9694

The angles are 45 degrees. They're not strings, they're rubber bands. But I plan on changing to elastic instead of rubber bands. I'm also going to make a bigger jig with thicker wood, for larger body tubes.

I got to launch My Feminine Side at the LUNAR launch yesterday. It was very windy, so I used a streamer instead of a parachute. It was a pretty good flight in spite of the wind.

fem_side1.jpg

fem_side2.jpg

fem_side3.jpg

fem_side4.jpg

fem_side5.jpg

She drifted quite a ways because of the wind, even with a streamer. I used a C11-3 motor so she wouldn't go too high. Fortunately, my nephew Wes offered to go retrieve the rocket for me. Thanks Wes!

fem_side_wes1.jpg

fem_side_wes2.jpg

fem_side_wes3.jpg

The bad news is, one of the fins broke off at the body tube, in spite of the epoxy rivets. The good news is, it'll be an easy repair. You can see the mark on the fin where it stuck in the mud on landing. I really don't know why it broke off. It looks like it tore the top layer of the body tube off.

fem_side6.jpg

fem_side7.jpg

Back