Scratch build: Von Braun EMW A6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InFlight

Reaction score
I got inspired by lessgravity's thread Rocket Planes of the Third Reich

I don't see the EMW A6 having great gliding abilities so I'm building it as rocket with parachute recovery.

This is my 18mm version that should climb to 500' er so. Here are some build pics and a pic I found somewhere :confused2: of the color scheme I intend to use.

100_0938.jpg

100_0939.jpg

100_0940.jpg

s (10).jpg

I got inspired by lessgravity's thread Rocket Planes of the Third Reich

I don't see the EMW A6 having great gliding abilities so I'm building it as rocket with parachute recovery.

This is my 18mm version that should climb to 500' er so. Here are some build pics and a pic I found somewhere :confused2: of the color scheme I intend to use.

Ray, great idea for a flying model!
It looks like your did some very beautiful work on this. Any way you could do a build thread?

Sure, I can give you the steps I used to get the dimensions for rocksim.
I wanted to use a BT-60 airframe tube and found that BMS has the V2 nose and tail cones that I needed for this build. Sweet!

The rest is just hunting down some parts to build it.

Lets start with the hard part... getting the dimensions from a source and plugging it into rocksim.

First I googled around and found this webpage with a lot of reference about the
EMW A6. Click here

Next, I downloaded the reference drawing "notice.jpg". This is the first pic on the left side. Now all I had to do is upscale the dimensions based on the drawing. I printed the drawing and scaled the diameter of the airframe.
came out to be 0.800" (I use a machinists scale :D).

I used this formula to get the scale factor.

If you're doing a BT-60, which is 1.640" OD, the math is:
1.640 / 0.800 = 2.05 (scaling factor: BT-60 OD divided by Source OD)

scaling factor: 2.05

At this point, all I needed to do is multiply all the dimensions on the drawing by 2.05. Next thing you need to do is get the overall length of the model.

The overall length of the model on the drawing is about 7" so take that and multiply by 2.05 and you get 14.55" long.

Next, I took the overall length of the nose and tail cones from BMS and subtracted them from the 14.55" dimension. That gave me 6.00" long BT-60 body tube.

At this point, I started putting the data into rocksim. Drawing the fins and wings using the same steps.

Once I got the fins drawn in rocksim I just printed out the fin patterns and cut out the fins from 3/32" balsa.

I'll post some pics of the motor mount soon.

Really cool build InFlight! How much nose weight are you going to need on it? :shock:

Just waiting to do some test flights. I hope to fly it this weekend.

I managed to get a few test flights in this morning :D
Forgot the camera again :bangpan:

Straight and perfect flights on a C6-3. Approximate alitiude was 400'.
C6-3 is the only motor I would recommend for this bird.

Back