Scratch 2.6" Build - Barracuda

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budro0

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
**Update: I've decided to change the name. As I mocked up the airframe last night, Bluegill just doesn't seem right. We'll save that for another bird. This one will now be "Barracuda"**

Since I got my L1 a couple weeks ago, I decided to build a couple HPR capable rockets. First will be this one I am calling "Bluegill." I am going to make no effort to actually paint it like a bluegill, but there should be some scales and a blue/copper color shift paint. I've gone through a couple iterations of fin styles, but I am settling on the trapezoids with strakes. It will be a 38mm mount in 2.6" LOC airframe, dual deploy, and if I'm careful, still able to fly on a G.

If you've seen my other threads - don't expect daily or even weekly updates. I only have so much time to dedicate to building, so getting 3 new rockets built by September will be a feat.

Sim files first...

Bluegill v2.png

Attachments

• Bluegill V2.ork
    382 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
by1m6W3.jpg

I think I've got the av-bay about as complete as I can until my Additive order shows up next week. Using dual Quarks until they prove themselves and then I'll probably just run a single in this and my Fusion build.

PXL_20210716_051711176.jpg

PXL_20210716_051700147.jpg

I also built a little 2.6" jig and cut fin slots. Productive night for me.

PXL_20210716_050140029.jpg

I've got the fins cut out and fit. First, they are not symmetrical, go figure. You can hardly tell once mounted, but there is a definitely a forward and rear. Next, my (openrocket's) math was not quite right and the tabs were not as long as they needed to be. It seems that *someone* didn't take into account the thickness of the airframe. Regardless, a little file work and they sit perfectly and hold the MMT well.

Once I get the tubes cleaned up, we'll start getting this thing pieced together finally.

PXL_20210723_052738532~2.jpg

As promised, I've failed to update for a couple months. I've really only had minutes on any given night to work on it, but it is considerably farther along than you might have guessed.

No major issues with this build, except maybe trying to fit chutes and shock cord in the 2.6" tubes.

Anyway, we are getting to painting now and so I wanted to revive the thread. This is way too many coats of Duplicolor filler primer under Createx autoborne sealer black. Then I did a Duplicolor gloss black to set the stage for some Wicked Quicksilver. This will be the base for the fish scales. More to come as I chip away at the scales. Each pic below is one coat of Quicksilver, and I think we'll stay at 5 coats.

PSX_20211017_145327.jpg

Color coat down. You won't really get the full effect until I get a clear coat on, but this is Wicked Colors Flair Blue Copper. Its a color shift and is a lot more complex than I first anticipated. Obviously blue and copper, but I'm seeing purples and greens in the right light. Once I get my other new rocket built, I'll clear coat them both at the same time.

PSX_20211021_000500.jpg

Back