Scored big at Desert Heat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was already planning on picking up an AT L900 Dark Matter load and Cert 3 XL parachute from my good buddy Juan at this launch, and he delivered Sat. morning as planned. He was also lending me a brand new Dr. Rockets 54/1706 casing so Sharon and I could drag race our 3" Darkstars. SARA didn't have two pads that would accommodate that, but I still scored three K456 DM loads from Bay Area Rocketry. Mike was a great vendor, with lots of stuff to pick through. Picked up a 60" Iris Fruity chute for the 5" Jart, and a spare 54mm seal disk. Looking around in his trailer, I found a box full of Q2G2 igniters that have been out of stock at Quest for months. Got a 24 pack for $25, which is about the same price Quest sells them for. Sharon got the new Estes altimeter and a Bay area rocketry polo shirt. I came back later and got one of the new AT single use motors, an H115 Dark Matter, you might think I like that propellant....
The BIG score was today after we had packed up and were saying our goodbye's to Roy P. He had a bunch of stuff he was selling for Gerald M. (Skippy). Went through the recovery box first, found two
Top Flight chutes 96" and 80", a Classic Sky angle 44" and a slightly crispy 24" drogue. Then Sharon picked out a lavender R4C chute, and started digging through the bottom of the box for a 20 ft. piece of 1" tubular nylon with sewn loops that might work for my DS Ultimate build. We also scored a roll of 5/8" TN with at least 200 ft. on the roll.
We thought we were done when Roy pulled out another box with motor cases in it. Now I have my own Dr. Rockets 54/1706 case complete with seal disk and closures, another DR 54/852 with plugged forward closure and rear closure. Found a new 38 6xl CTI casing still in the plastic cover and another plugged closure for AT 38mm. All for about half price.
Just that morning over coffee we had been talking about getting the 54/1706 casing from Balsa Machining, so we could drag our Darkstars without borrowing a casing, and I was lusting over Juan's Dr. Rockets case. Funny how things work out.

I would like to thank everyone who attended this years Desert Heat. You all made it a big success. Saturday we had the perfect day for flying rockets. Blue skies thin wispy clouds and light winds. Everyone looked to have many good flights. Sunday on the other hand, started out grey, cloudy and windy, in fact the launch was called off at 12pm due to the high winds that had developed. The high power flyers were taking some long walks retrieving their rockets. One gentleman was gone for over an hour chasing down his Honest John. One out of two days is not bad. Here, March is going out like a lion.

I would also like to thank Discount Rocketry and Bay Area Rocketry, for their support and donations for the raffles held on both days, you guys are the best!

The night launch was big success, I think there were more night launches this year than last. The many ways to light up rockets is amazing. From LED's to glow sticks, just about any way to make a light fly was demonstrated. We definitely had lots of fun. The Tucson Astronomy Club, who uses the same area, set up telescopes for everyone to view the Heavens above. Thank you Tucson Astronomy Club.

I hope to see all you next year at Desert Heat, and all you night flyers in October for our next night flight!

I also scored big at Desert Heat!:grin: I won some awesome stuff from the Sunday raffle and picked up some of Gerald's stuff from Roy. I won a L3 Doghouse wiring kit, High Power rocketry 2, LDRS XXXI DVD set, Alpha 3 kit, and a Star Wars action glider. I picked up a 38 and 54mm carbon fiber fincans and a 29 40-120 motor from Roy, I wanted to get the King Viper but I could not justify it. I had a good time at Desert Heat and should be there next year!

I was already planning on picking up an AT L900 Dark Matter load and Cert 3 XL parachute from my good buddy Juan at this launch, and he delivered Sat. morning as planned. He was also lending me a brand new Dr. Rockets 54/1706 casing so Sharon and I could drag race our 3" Darkstars. SARA didn't have two pads that would accommodate that, but I still scored three K456 DM loads from Bay Area Rocketry. Mike was a great vendor, with lots of stuff to pick through. Picked up a 60" Iris Fruity chute for the 5" Jart, and a spare 54mm seal disk. Looking around in his trailer, I found a box full of Q2G2 igniters that have been out of stock at Quest for months. Got a 24 pack for $25, which is about the same price Quest sells them for. Sharon got the new Estes altimeter and a Bay area rocketry polo shirt. I came back later and got one of the new AT single use motors, an H115 Dark Matter, you might think I like that propellant....
The BIG score was today after we had packed up and were saying our goodbye's to Roy P. He had a bunch of stuff he was selling for Gerald M. (Skippy). Went through the recovery box first, found two
Top Flight chutes 96" and 80", a Classic Sky angle 44" and a slightly crispy 24" drogue. Then Sharon picked out a lavender R4C chute, and started digging through the bottom of the box for a 20 ft. piece of 1" tubular nylon with sewn loops that might work for my DS Ultimate build. We also scored a roll of 5/8" TN with at least 200 ft. on the roll.
We thought we were done when Roy pulled out another box with motor cases in it. Now I have my own Dr. Rockets 54/1706 case complete with seal disk and closures, another DR 54/852 with plugged forward closure and rear closure. Found a new 38 6xl CTI casing still in the plastic cover and another plugged closure for AT 38mm. All for about half price.
Just that morning over coffee we had been talking about getting the 54/1706 casing from Balsa Machining, so we could drag our Darkstars without borrowing a casing, and I was lusting over Juan's Dr. Rockets case. Funny how things work out.

For about $40 more, you coulda gotten 25 C6-5's with those Q2G2's!!! :D They'll be at SpringBlast next month.

Back