Scissor Wing transport from Arkansas [Semroc/Apogee]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the rudder on the tube,

NOTE: When you put the rudder on top, the instructions tell you to put it at a slight angle: front Rudder on one side of the center line, back Rudder on the other side of the center line.

I chose not to do that, because I feared that I might turn the glider in the same direction that it is already wanting to turn. Which probably says something about my model building skills. :angiefavorite:

m_IMG_2945small.jpg

This whole "wing orientation" thing is making my head hurt. :angiefavorite: (I seem to be using the skillet-slam a lot on this build.)

WARNING: BEFORE YOU GLUE STUFF, DO SOME 'DRY' ASSEMBLIES TO SEE HOW IT IS WORKING.

So, let's start by looking at Step #23. I originally took this pic to show that the Wing Pivot was 'right-side-up' [non-X]. The black "Z" is actually an "N", which denotes that this is the new Pivot Base that I received.

Just looking at the pics in the instructions, it seems the kidney orientation in the instructions is opposite to what I have. :facepalm:

m_IMG_2949small.jpg

OK, here I am showing what the Instructions tell you about attaching the Wing Pivot Plate to the Wing.

m_IMG_2950small.jpg

So, how to fix this? I started by flipping the wing around. Note that the circle on the bottom of the Wing is now facing up.

I also have a closeup of the front of the Wing Pivot Top (see RED circles).

m_IMG_2952small.jpg

m_IMG_2952asmall.jpg

I rotated the Wing a little more (see the angle on the Locating Dowel). This achieves a better forward alignment (in the top pic, the front of the rocket is to the right).

I am still thinking about all this. Maybe I did something wrong. :questions:

m_IMG_2953small.jpg

m_IMG_2953asmall.jpg

Ever forward. I decided to put a little epoxy on the Wing Pivot Plate, located in the "stop" position. Then I put the Wing on, aligned 90 degrees with the fuselage tube. Then I added thin CA to help the Wing Pivot Plate adhere to the Wing.

m_IMG_2957small.jpg

Hmmm...

Thinking about how slippery PETG is when it comes off the 3D printer bed, I wonder if it would make good replacement parts for the pivot?

Ever forward. I decided to put a little epoxy on the Wing Pivot Plate, located in the "stop" position. Then I put the Wing on, aligned 90 degrees with the fuselage tube. Then I added thin CA to help the Wing Pivot Plate adhereI to the Wing.
Good move. Like you, I ended up not using the locating dowel (it contributes to the misalignment problem) and glued the wing to the pivot plate after aligning it correctly.

Working on the Elevator. First I am painting it, using Rust-oleum 2X Ultracover spray paint "White".

m_IMG_2967small.jpg

Per the instructions, using masking tape to hold the Elevator to the Horizontal Stabilizer. Then attaching the clear strips (come with kit) to the top side.

m_IMG_2970small.jpg

m_IMG_2971small.jpg

Special note on the Wing airfoil. I added a bit of "dihedral-ness". :shocked:

The mid section of the Wing is shaped like a regular airfoil: round at the front, and narrow at the back.

But at about halfway out from the Pivot, I sanded a different shape.
  • Wing Tip Front - Sanded ONLY the BOTTOM of the Wing, creating a raised leading edge.
  • Wing Tip Back - Sanded only the TOP of the Wing, bringing the top trailing edge down.
Way back in 1980, when I built my first Scissor Wing, it ended up nose heavy. Since I had already assembled the model (in that design, the Wing could not be removed), I chose to sand "up" the leading edge.

m_IMG_2984small.jpg

Clay added to the nose. As stated before, added 2 to 3 grams (scale jumping between 2 and 3, stayed at 2 grams).

I drilled slightly into the nose, and added the clay. Also added a little 5-minute epoxy, to help secure the clay.

m_IMG_2985small.jpg

Back