Scissor Wing Transport Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever_Metal

JustAnotherBAR
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just got this kit, using this to hold the spot so I'll be building it next!!

Anybody know of ways to make it easier to build? Please post if ya do; will be next week before I can start

Thanks TRF!

fm

:pop:

Will definitely be following your build FM!

Funny, but I was just talking to my brother the other day and he said his all-time favorite rocket was MY Scissor Wing! I have to say that it jumps out in my memory too.

I have been thinking about building a clone. I had the original in what, 1974? I was a kid (fifth grade) so I'm sure it wasn't a museum quality build, but it looked great to me! It flew great too! Long arching boost, a quick loop when the wing deployed and then long, lazy circles down to a "lake bed" landing (We flew at the local school - flat sandy playground. Kinda looked like Edwards if you used a little imagination!).

As far as simplifying the build, I'm not sure you really need to. As I recall the instructions made it look a bit intimidating, but once I got started on it the parts all seemed to make good sense and fit well. I remember the wing swivel mechanism was all plywood and dowels. It looked a bit dodgy to me at the time, but proved to be simple and quite robust. After all it not only survived flight, but the inevitable rough handling and "playing with" that goes with being owned by a ten year old and his little brother!

Okay, gotta go download the plans....

Mugs

Wondering if someone is currently producing a kit or do you have to find a vintage one? I built one back then as well, I was 13 or 14 at the time. Cool model!

This is pretty weird timing... I was looking at a Scissor Wing on facebook, and again on the cover of the 1974 Estes Catalog (.pdf file), and thinking to myself... How would I sim that? Honestly, I don't think I can... but that won't stop me from trying sometime.

Please scan all the flat parts, decals, and the instructions (along with a ruler for scale). Don't forget to make a note of thicknesses.

It's actually a mix of old and new... It has the "modern" wing pivot assembly, but has old everything else. I have the original decals and the peel and peel-up modern set as well.

Will get photos after the break!

fm

Now this is weird... I've been having the hardest time getting JimZ's or plans.rocketshoppe.com to open for the last week or so. But only when my VPN is logged into Germany. I can accesss it when I'm logged into Japan, USA, or not even logged into a VPN portal (Read: It can be accessed in China, despite the Great FireWall of China), but not Germany.

I didn't see rulers with the parts scans. Though I did see the page with the dimensions. For as nice as that is, it's always a good idea to have an unimpeachable backup for independant verification.

And I was right, there's no way that this could be simmed accurately with OR. Those pivot points can't be simmed.

It's actually a mix of old and new... It has the "modern" wing pivot assembly, but has old everything else. I have the original decals and the peel and peel-up modern set as well.

Will get photos after the break!

fm

Modern? Please expand upon this. I have no background with this kit.

I think there was a re-issue at some point that had a plastic wing pivot assembly. A few other plastic bits too, as I recall. I'll see if I can find any info...

Last edited:
Well, that didn't exactly require exhaustive research. Here are the plans of rthe later version:

https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/001265_SCISSOR_WING_TRANSPORT.pdf

Please, cut me some slack... I've got pneumonia, and it was 5am here in China. I just woke up... again, and I'm behind the Great Firewall.

And before anyone starts asking about Chinese medicine... I'm currently taking Mucosolvan, Cefdinir, and Azithromycin (the Amoxicillin did nothing).

[EDIT]Of course... then I see the previous remark.

Sorry if I sounded a little chapped... I'm really tired.

Thanks for finding that for me. I'm now logged into the US with my VPN (got kicked off a moment ago), and I can now access google again (I don't like bing).

Last edited:
Modern? Please expand upon this. I have no background with this kit.

The original 1265 (K65) used dowels, launch lugs and plywood sheet to make the pivot assembly for the wing, whereas the new re-release uses a plastic carrier in place of all of that material. Which is a good thing because is was a !!!RPITA!!! to get everything glued up & lined up & unbound & flat & sealed. As I recall (hence the reason why I have the original decal set) I screwed it up the first time (hey I was 7). Now that being said I'm attempting to recreate the original setup, but will not finish and fly it with that original assembly, will sub out with the plastic in the end.

Hope that helps!

fm

Last edited:
I had and original, built and painted when I was about 12. Sadly, like many of the other models of the time, it never flew. No idea what ever happened to it.
I now have the re-release in one of the build piles. Yes, the original used a plywood disc and dowel for the swivel, which has been replaced with plastic. I'll see what I can do about scans if i can locate it.

I had and original, built and painted when I was about 12. Sadly, like many of the other models of the time, it never flew. No idea what ever happened to it.
I now have the re-release in one of the build piles. Yes, the original used a plywood disc and dowel for the swivel, which has been replaced with plastic. I'll see what I can do about scans if i can locate it.

JimZ's site has an ok scan of the plywood sheet they used. If one were to want to reproduce the original wood swivel, use that scan and along with the wing cutout re-scale the drawing so the disc fits (that's what I plan to do).

Peel and (re)Stick decals... What will they think of next?

fm

Personally I Liked the All Plywood & Dowel Pivot. When done it was(is) a strong and Lasting part. My 1991 Scissor Wing Transport still flys today on that same Plywood and dowel Wing pivot platform. As a matter of fact I downscaled the Scissor-Wing to fly on a single Micro Maxx motor and used the same Plywood & dowel pivot method. Works like a dream.

Haven't looked at the new kit, but if it has plastic pivot parts I'd likely replace any the will get a lot of friction over time.

Going to do a 2x upscale RC Scissor Wing Transport one of these days. Not a huge one, just large enough to fly decently.

I built one from the original kit release back in the day and really enjoyed it.

Going to do a 2x upscale RC Scissor Wing Transport one of these days. Not a huge one, just large enough to fly decently.

I built one from the original kit release back in the day and really enjoyed it.

Have to agree I've had a awful lot of Great flying from my original Scissor Wing Transport. As a matter of fact I got my very first Qualified B-Glider competition flight flying the Scissor wing on a B6-2 way back when LOL!

My brother gave me a new in bag original a couple years back- it has a couple bent tubes, that have kept it pushed back in the build list, this thread may make me break it back out.....

Back