Science Day Launch 2004

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
Every October my daughters' school holds Science Day, where parents are invited in to teach about their favorite science subject.

This is the second year I've participated and guess what my topic was. :D

The deal is that you teach five successive classes, any age from first grade through fifth, each class for 30 minutes.

Because of the time constraint, there isn't time to re-prep between classes, so I had to come prepared with enough rockets for 5 classes, everything prepped and ready to go.

It turned out to be a horrible rainy morning and i thought we were going to have to scrub the launch and just do a show-and-tell instead. But Mr. Charney, the science teacher, came through by suggesting we launch in the little horeshoe shaped driveway just in front of the school (instead of on the athletic field). That way I could talk to the kids inside and then have them step outside under a vestibule to watch the launches.

It was the worst place i've ever launched from, between eight short trees and a flagpole, but it was an absolute hoot! Boy did we have fun!

Not too many launch pics, I was too busy.

But here's one of my daughter and her teacher sending up a Quest Courier.

And here are photos of the rockets launched.

First up, some BLUs, obviously not decorated as cluster bombs.

All flew great except for one lawn dart due to no ejection charge on a B6-4.

Kids thought it was cool anyway, and it narrowly missed the roof of the Beemer parked in the circle drive. :p

Next up were the Edmond CiCi's.

Only ended up launching one of these.

They would have been great on the athletic field but the one I launched in front of the school, on an A8-3, arced back over the school before spitting it's motor.

It flew great, and away, but I figured dumping motors over the roof of the school wasn't such a hot idea.

Next were Cosmic Cobras.

I had poor luck with these last year but figured they were worth another try.

They flew great on B6-4s and only lost one, due to a bit of wind.

It was very interesting that in two of the classes, in the discussion before launching, two little boys each mentioned having launched a rocket before that had a "helicopter in the nose".

Apparently these cobras make more of a lasting impression than I realized.

Next up were specially dressed versions of Art Applewhite's Scimitars.

Really impressive on D11-Ps, and way different from the others.

Absolutely great for demos because they land close even in high winds.

Final launch in each class was an egg-loft with a Quest Courier.

The kids LOVED this.

Only got to do them for 4 of the classes and results were 2 fine, 2 cracked.

Put in a big plug for TARC with these (it's never too early). :p

Final pic is of the kids opening one of the egg-cones.

You can see the anticipation and excitement on their faces, which was what the whole thing was supposed to be about.

All in all, a fantastic bunch of flights launched from the worst location and in the worst weather I've ever launched in. :D

I can't wait for next year!

Originally posted by Gus
You can see the anticipation and excitement on their faces, which was what the whole thing was supposed to be about.
Let me be the first to commend you on showing the next generation of rocketeers just what a great hobby this is.
Well done Gus!

Gus,

That is all GREAT!

Be sure and bring some scimitars to the club meeting!

oh man, that was a fun read :) :) :)

Those BLU's look GREAT!

YOu had a ball, didn't you?? (and we try to tell everybody it's "for the kids"! :D )

Now that you know how much fun it is to bring rocketry to kids, we need to get others to do it as well. If everyone knew how much fun it was, there'd be a rocketry program (or 2) in every school across America!

very kewl. You should be proud.

Thanks for the kind words.

John: patterns on the BLU's were artwork I created in a drawing/painting program and printed to size onto full size label paper. Patterns on the Courier's were manipulations of fractal images on https://www.fractaldomains.com/ .

Jim: You're right, I did have a blast. I'm embarassed, however, at the lack of a FlisKits representative in my demonstration. I'll have to remedy that for next year. :D

I had thought about some Deuce's for this year but decided against them because of the need to stay low, and the slightly increased safety risk of a cluster launch. But I'm thinking 5 Spitfires might fit the bill for next year, I know the kids will love them. But I'll have to get started a little earlier than usual. :p

Back