Sci-fi fun: what to do with that spare SR-71 nose cone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoVictor

Reaction score
Looking through my spare parts bin for something new to build, I came across what one might call an albatross. As most know, Estes loves to throw whatever they've got laying around into their nose cone multi-packs. So, for the longest time, I've had this sitting idle with no plan for its use;

100_1985.jpg

I suppose I could clone an SR-71, or maybe even an Estes Night Wing, but I've already built both of those kits. What to do, what to do? And then it hit me. Why do I have to use it as an aircraft canopy? It kind of has a similar shape to what I've got in mind, so first, a little bit of Fill 'n' Finish to smooth out the cockpit detail;

100_1989.jpg

Then, after some working in PowerPoint and some very tedious free-hand cutting, I've got the fins;

100_1990.jpg

Anyboy guess what I'm up to? :D :confused: :D

Later,
EV

Minbari Whitestar

Dang you guys are good! Yep, that's exactly what it's going to be.

whitestar_top.jpg

Holding up the original scale fins to a 8" chunk of BT-50 body tube, it didn't look quite right, so my version is going to be stretched in a couple areas. The wings are a bit wider and the tails are taller, both to increase fin area for stability. I'm also making the body a bit longer (12") to move the CG forward (that SR-71 cone is heavy). I figure I'm going to put the cockpit side downward, and use some launch lug/dowel combos for the guns on the nose. Wing pods will be small pieces of BT-5 with dowels for the guns/strakes.

Later,
EV

The White Star is officially the strangest looking ship I've ever seen. I remember losing interest in B5 shortly after she made her first appearance. I always liked the Narn ships best. I was looking at one of their cruisers the other day with the same thought pattern...perhaps a rocket!

Same here. Running design ideas around in my head for a Vorlon-looking ship. I think I'll be making the fins from Lite-ply balsa due to the slenderness of the parts running forward. I'm thinking I'll have to paint as I go along as the complexity of the design really won't allow a Vorlon-ish coloring job if I don't.

I'll probably ruminate on the design for a month before I start:p

I'm probably about the only one who actually likes the Earth ships the best from B5. But then, I've always liked Utilitarian designs best from just about any SF series.

I am working on a Whitestar model myself, based on the BT-50 body tube. I started it a couple of years ago. I am using the Honest John nosecone, but I think the SR-71 nosecone might look better.

I have also created a Soul Hunter Scout and a Drakh Raider in Rocksim. Rocksim says the Soul Hunter Scout is not stable because the main fins are at the front. Looks cool though.

Drakh_Raider_v9.jpg

soulhunter.jpg

Last edited:
This is very cool!
The White Star is my all time favorite ship from B5.
I can't wait to see how this comes out. :)

Dude(s), These are the "Cats Meow"...!!!

I'm posting an idea that I've been kickin' around for years... It's getting there, just slow...

SPLane1.jpg

I think it's gonna do well as an R/C glider...

Got a little bit of work done on this tonight. Here are the main wings glued to the body, and then set on top of the secondary wings with the side pods and tails laid beside it;

100_1991.jpg

I'm still trying to resolve the underbody connnection of the secondary wings, but I think I'm close to a solution. One thing I have decided on is that I'm going to do a fin/body wrap like the SR-71 on both the top and the bottom to blend the body/wing joints. I think it will smooth the look out even more....

Later,
EV

Holding up the original scale fins to a 8" chunk of BT-50 body tube, it didn't look quite right, so my version is going to be stretched in a couple areas. The wings are a bit wider and the tails are taller, both to increase fin area for stability. I'm also making the body a bit longer (12") to move the CG forward (that SR-71 cone is heavy).
The tail fins aren't the problem; it's pitch stability you want to worry about, not yaw stability. The longer body tube will help, as will the heavy nose cone. I have to agree with Fred22, though - nice work on the fins

The only B5 rocket I've built so far is the Vree Xorr saucer, but one ship which is just asking to be turned into a rocket is the Excalibur... The Thunderbolt fighter also has possibilities.

@coachjt: as well as the forward fins, the other problem with the Soul Hunter ship is that it has no horizontal fins, or at least none at the rear. It would be unstable even if the forward fins were all removed. The Drakh Raider ought to work well, though.

Holding up the original scale fins to a 8" chunk of BT-50 body tube, it didn't look quite right, so my version is going to be stretched in a couple areas. The wings are a bit wider and the tails are taller, both to increase fin area for stability. I'm also making the body a bit longer (12") to move the CG forward (that SR-71 cone is heavy).
The tail fins aren't the problem; it's pitch stability you want to worry about, not yaw stability. The longer body tube will help, as will the heavy nose cone. I have to agree with Fred22, though - nice work on the fins

The only B5 rocket I've built so far is the Vree Xorr saucer, but one ship which is just asking to be turned into a rocket is the Excalibur... The Thunderbolt fighter also has possibilities.

@coachjt: as well as the forward fins, the other problem with the Soul Hunter ship is that it has no horizontal fins, or at least none at the rear. It would be unstable even if the forward fins were all removed.

Well, as in life as well as in rocketry, some things work out the way you think, some don't. After several attempts to wrap the body/wing with either label paper or cardstock, I just couldn't get results I was happy with. Thus, that idea has been abandoned.

I did, however, figure out how to mount those lower wings.

I added a small section of BT-5 on a couple of stand-offs below the main body, and then attached the lower wings between it and the side pods. Here's the results....

Top view;
100_2035.jpg

Bottom view;
100_2036.jpg

Bottom view from the front;
100_2037.jpg

Now, to work on the gun pods and tail fins.....

Later,
EV

Any chance you have scans of the fins so I can build one?
________
Zeo

Last edited:
^ Let me get her finished and flight-proven before I go posting plans. I truly don't know if this is actually gonna work.....:rolleyes:

Later,
EV

Thanks for the compliments, all!

Got a teeny bit done tonight while watching hockey (Go Red Wings!!!).

A couple of launch lugs with a 3/32" scrap spacer, and a couple of 1/8" dowel bits, and we have weaponry!
100_2034.jpg

Mounted into the side pods;
100_2040.jpg

I also notched the rear fins to nest onto the wings, and looking at it, I think I'm going to have them outboard a bit. Still working on the mounting scheme, but here's a dry fit layout;
100_2039.jpg

Later,
EV

^ Let me get her finished and flight-proven before I go posting plans. I truly don't know if this is actually gonna work.....:rolleyes:

Later,
EV

Even if it doesn't fly, it certainly is swishable! Keep up the good work.
________
VD ENGINE

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments, all!

Got a teeny bit done tonight while watching hockey (Go Red Wings!!!).

A couple of launch lugs with a 3/32" scrap spacer, and a couple of 1/8" dowel bits, and we have weaponry!
EV

Looks great. You have a rather complex looking shape there: how do you plan to fill and seal all that wood? I'm always looking for a better method.

Back