Quantcast

School me on posting photos?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up
Reaction score
I'm confused about the interface for posting photos, and I've had people tell me in the past that they can't see my photos (though, others can). So, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

When I go to post, I click the button for 'insert image', and then select from my HDD what photo I want to post. It appears in the post editing box. So far so good. Typically, the photo is a bit large, so I grab the corners and shrink it in size. I click on the 'preview' button, and things look good. But I also see a frame at the bottom that says, "Insert all: THumbnails Full image", where I can select for each photo either thumbnail or full. What, exactly, is this doing? Is this attaching/inserting another copy to my post? Or is this specifying how the images I've already placed & sized will be shown? Does this override the sizing that I've already done?

Is there a BKM for making posts with multiple, reasonably-sized photos?

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
How about just going to the attach files at the bottom left of the message box, then it will take you to the gallery on your device and you can choose one and upload it. Once it uploads you can leave it at the thumbnail size but I recommend full size. The forum will make it fit in the message box.

You can do up to 10 images in a post. And each image can be up to 10240KB.

Do you have a thread or post # that you can give me the address of, so I can look at it and see why some images are not showing for others? I can usually figure it out if I can see it.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score

This was done by copying the image address from TRF FB page and copying the link in the attach image icon, with the link tab

1610656539098.png

Kelly

Reaction score
Angie, thanks for the reply. I think I figured it out with a test post. I think the BKM is, don't manually resize photos in apost, that may have been causing my issues. Just select 'thumbnail' or 'full' for each image, and leave it at that.

I did show you a post a month or two ago (where some but not all posters could see photos), and you looked at it, and I think weren't able to figure out the issue. No need to revisit.

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When I go to post, I click the button for 'insert image', and then select from my HDD what photo I want to post. It appears in the post editing box. So far so good. Typically, the photo is a bit large, so I grab the corners and shrink it in size. I click on the 'preview' button, and things look good. But I also see a frame at the bottom that says, "Insert all: THumbnails Full image", where I can select for each photo either thumbnail or full. What, exactly, is this doing? Is this attaching/inserting another copy to my post? Or is this specifying how the images I've already placed & sized will be shown? Does this override the sizing that I've already done?
For what it's worth: I have done exactly this many, many (many!) times without problem. I'm not sure what problem you're having.

In general, when you want to insert an image into your posting, there are two separate things:
1) The attachment of an image file. That's the thing at the bottom with the Full/Thumbnail insertion buttons.
2) The in-line image. That is the image that appears inline with your text, which you can resize as you've been doing.

Every attached image shows as an attachment at the bottom. If that image also has been inserted inline somewhere in the posting, then when you post the reply it will not show the attachment stuff at the bottom, only inline image. If the image has *not* been inserted inline in the posting, then you *will* see the attachment stuff. While you're editing, you will *always* see the attachment stuff at bottom.

If you delete the inline image, the attachment will stay. If you delete the attachment, then all associated inline images will be deleted as well.

The "Insert Thumbnail" or "Insert Full Image" buttons will create an inline version of the attachment at the current cursor. A thumbnail is a scaled down version of the original image, which will therefore load more quickly and consume less bandwidth. The full image is... the full image, at original resolution. Although you can size it down in the UI, the browser will still be loading the full-sized image.

In addition to attaching an image (good for when you already have the file on your hard drive), you can also copy/paste images right into the edit window. This is excellent for screenshots or for other images you find on the web (right-click "Copy Image" and then paste into the editor).

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Thanks @Kelly. I don't always remember when I've fixed or not fixed a problem and for which member.

Kelly

Reaction score
For what it's worth: I have done exactly this many, many (many!) times without problem.
Neil, thanks, I think I'm getting it.
So, if I click on 'insert image', it inserts an inline image, and pops up a box for other options.
If I click 'delete' in that box, the inserted image completely disappears.
If I click 'thumbnail' or 'full', it inserts ANOTHER inline copy of the image (probably only useful if I want to delete the original, and insert a thumbnail instead?)
I can resize the original inserted image, but that has no effect on how it appears to others. (So, my only options are thumbnail, or full size?)
If I delete the inline version, there will still be an attached version at the bottom of my post.
At least that clears up my confusion about the UI.

BTW, my original post which had mixed appearances (some people saw the pics, others didn't) is https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/a-nomex-nacho-instead-of-a-burrito.162278/. I'm pretty sure I used resizing etc. on the inline images, and I'm pretty sure the showed up as resized, though I don't remember exactly how I created that post. I'm not asking for any more debugging, but thank you for the explanation.

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have the same problem with that previous thread you pointed to, some images show and some don't. I have no explanation, though.

If I click 'thumbnail' or 'full', it inserts ANOTHER inline copy of the image (probably only useful if I want to delete the original, and insert a thumbnail instead?)
Something like that. As needed.

I can resize the original inserted image, but that has no effect on how it appears to others. (So, my only options are thumbnail, or full size?)
Resizing has always worked for me. Let's try it again:

Full-sized:
1610661572878.png
Full image, resized down:
1610661572878.png
Thumbnail:
1610661572878.png