School me in Dr Rocket's motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim51

Reaction score
I have just acquired some very well preserved second-hand Aerotech casings - 54/1280, 54/1706 alongside a 54/852 Dr Rocket's case, which I understand is fully compatible with AT loads (newly available here in the UK). Can anyone tell me any of the history of Dr Rockets ? Are they still around?
20220501_210236.jpg

I have just acquired some very well preserved second-hand Aerotech casings - 54/1280, 54/1706 alongside a 54/852 Dr Rocket's case, which I understand is fully compatible with AT loads (newly available here in the UK). Can anyone tell me any of the history of Dr Rockets ? Are they still around?
View attachment 516686
They’re no longer being made. They were manufactured under license in the same machine shop as the AT cases. They also made some really pretty special edition cases. The owner of the company was Dr. Michael Reiner (I think).

One of the best features (IMO) of the standard Dr. Rocket cases is the red anodizing. If a motor case comes out of the rocket (nowadays, there are many good ways for motor retention, so this shouldn't happen, but if it does. . . ) the red stands out on the field better than the black or blue options that are also Aerotech compatible. They also stand out on a cluttered bench or trailer. . . not that any of us have motor cases anywhere but stored in their proper place. . .

If I could have all my cases like the Dr. Rocket cases, I would, but I'm not going to try to sell a black case and buy a red one. I don't kick motors out after switching retention methods.

Sandy.

They’re no longer being made. They were manufactured under license in the same machine shop as the AT cases. They also made some really pretty special edition cases. The owner of the company was Dr. Michael Reiner (I think).
Thanks Steve. So they were just a brand of AT compatible hardware, or did they produce motors as well?

All cases have tolerances. I have all Dr. Rocket cases for 29 and 38mm. I did buy a 38/480 Aerotech case because I was getting about one in 10 reloads that I had to sand down the phenolic liner tube to get it to fit. The a club member would loan me his Aerotech case and the liners that didn't fit my Dr. Rocket Case always fit in his Aerotech case.
I'm not saying the Dr. Rocket case is out of spec, just that the one I have is on the small end.

LDRS XV, I think, at Orangeburg - Dr. Rocket and Delta V Rocketry on the midway. That was pretty early for Dr Rocket, but their hardware soon became common.

LDRS XV 7.jpg

This 38/480 flew last weekend with RAS hardware and H550ST reload:

38-480.JPG

All cases have tolerances. I have all Dr. Rocket cases for 29 and 38mm. I did buy a 38/480 Aerotech case because I was getting about one in 10 reloads that I had to sand down the phenolic liner tube to get it to fit. The a club member would loan me his Aerotech case and the liners that didn't fit my Dr. Rocket Case always fit in his Aerotech case.
I'm not saying the Dr. Rocket case is out of spec, just that the one I have is on the small end.
Thanks for the heads up. I've yet to fly the case pictured in my OP, but I'll bear that in mind.

LDRS XV, I think, at Orangeburg - Dr. Rocket and Delta V Rocketry on the midway. That was pretty early for Dr Rocket, but their hardware soon became common.

View attachment 517126

This 38/480 flew last weekend with RAS hardware and H550ST reload:

View attachment 517125
Thanks for posting. I was wondering if the rear closure I bought was a mismatch from a different set because it's matt black, not anodised red like the fc. Your photo suggests the different colour was normal (..?)

Thanks for posting. I was wondering if the rear closure I bought was a mismatch from a different set because it's matt black, not anodised red like the fc. Your photo suggests the different colour was normal (..?)

Yep. Aerotech rear closures are gold, and I don't recall any other licensed hardware when the Dr Rocket line came out.

The one really odd thing about the Red (and special edition) and Blue cases.....people will pay a premium over cheaper brand new black cases for them! Heck, even the individual closures routinely go for more money on ebay and the yard sale.

I guess it's the 'wow' factor.

The one really odd thing about the Red (and special edition) and Blue cases.....people will pay a premium over cheaper brand new black cases for them! Heck, even the individual closures routinely go for more money on ebay and the yard sale.

I guess it's the 'wow' factor.
Interesting...these are definitely vintage, and in perfect condition, but I don't think there are enough rocketeers this side of the pond who would appreciate the specialty of them, were I ever to sell. A competitive market in vintage items requires a sufficient connoisseur collector base 😊. I got all three cases and the closures for £100 as part of a barter deal.

Back