• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Scans of the Quest Magnum Sport Loader (3012)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm simming up the rocket "DOROTHY" used by Reed Timmer for his Dominator's tornado research projects.

It's a Quest Magnum Sport Loader (3012) that wasn't been built stock. I've purchased one, but it's stuck in the US for the time being... I've downloaded the instructions, but I need scans (with a good ruler for scale) of the fins, decals, and flat parts. I also need measurements of the body tubes involved and the thicknesses of the various flat parts (CRs, Fins). I happen to have the Quest Courier here in China, and it uses the same nosecone/aft transition, but my sample doesn't have the extended payload section of the Magnum Sport Loader.

My sims will include the stock version and the Dominator's variant (to the best of my abilities).

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I happen to have a new Magnum Sport Loader and measured the following dimensions(parts referenced to instructions):

Part A: 0.25”H 0.70”D 0.09”TH

Part C: 2.68”L 0.74”D 0.01”TH

Part D: 0.06”TH

Part E: 14.76”L 1.57”D 0.02”TH

Part F: 3.52”L 1.90”D 0.04”TH

Part G: 0.76”L 1.52”D 0.10”TH

Part H: 1.50”L 1.82”D 0.04”TH

Fins are 1/8” balsa.

Let me know if there is anything else you need from this model.

Also, I’m a long time lurker on the forum and have to say that your threads have been very informative and have helped me get a better understanding of model rocketry, especially with OpenRocket. I really do appreciate the contributions you make to the forum!

2mectww.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome!!! And Thanks!!!

That'll work... I'll have to shelve the project for a day or so... It's 2am, and I've got to work in the morning.

[EDIT] Ok, done with work, got a nap... It's 1am(ish) on Monday (my weekend). I've managed to create the basic outline of the kit, I'm too tired to do the serious work of making the fins the right shape or even think about the graphics. But it's well on its way.

Last edited:
Let me know if there is anything else you need from this model.
2mectww.jpg

Those numbers helped quite a bit. One thing, Part H (the Black Tube Coupler (11605)) should be about 1.82" OD IINM.

Now that I'm actually working the sims, I found that I don't have the measurements of Part J (the Launch Lug (10001))... Hmmm I wonder if that is the same as the Quest Courier... Hmmm... Yup!!! It is.

Thanks Again!

Last edited:
Not a problem... Again... Thanks for the info.

About the sim... One thing that is going to be a problem is the Engine Hooks... There's no way I can position them accurately without using pods, and since most people don't have a version of OR that supports pods in any way, I'm going to have to make an exception to my personal accuracy policy. I'm planning on using a single PBT to position them at the outside edge of the motor tubes, instead of positioned halfway between the center of the rocket, and the outside edge of it. When pods are supported in the upcoming (when? I have no clue.) release of the next version of OR, I'll edit them back into the correct locations.

@huffer Could I trouble you for the lengths of the shock cords and the dimensions of the parachutes, they don't match my samples here in China.

Thanks!

Here are the additional measurements you requested:

Parachute (Quest labeled 14" hexagonal chute): flat to flat 13.5"
Shroud lines: 25.5"L

Shock cord contains elastic and kevlar components
Elastic (tubular): 1/16"D x 18"L
Kevlar piece: 0.025"D x 18"L

Let me know if this file is better.
Higher resolution scan

Latest posts

Back