• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Scans of the Estes Mean Machine (1295), All Versions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know JimZ has the blue decaled version's instructions, decals, and fins. However, it originally came in white, and later the E powered version came with yellow decals, and a plastic quick break coupler to allow it to be broken down for transport and storage.

I've been asked about this rocket, and I've been looking to update my sim, and get all the variants covered.

So, I need scans of the instructions for the white, and E powered versions, as well as their fins with a ruler, and their decals with a ruler. I also need specs on the plastic quick break coupler. I doubt that there will be much of a difference from one set of fins to the next (other than diecrushed/laser cut), and the white versions instructions will probably be very similar to the blue's, but I want make sure.

While I'm at it, a scan of the blue's decals would be appreciated too... The image on JimZ's site isn't a clean scan, it's been altered, and I'd like to try to color match it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Here's mine...........after the E9 CATO and accompanying fire........

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486217381.654176.jpg

I've rebuilt mine several times, it loses fins, the length changed because of the Cato, I preserved some of the decal....I'll post some pics later with instructions if I can find them.

I flew it again last weekend, it does a big loopy spiral on the way up.

Here are a few pics. I longer have the "mean" just the "machine".

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486269546.055548.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486269572.719650.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486269591.171431.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486269611.589631.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486269659.412948.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486269698.098765.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486269725.758942.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486269745.385829.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486269768.446118.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486269799.623882.jpg

Thanks for the pics Lowpuller!

Regrettably, I don't have as good scan of that version's decals (not applied to a kit). Until I can get those, I'm still stuck. What bites, is I'm sure that I have all three versions of the decals (sitting in boxes in a storage unit, in the US).

If someone has a Mean Machine that was bought and built in the 80's or 90's I could use a measurement of the height of the body tube/fin decal. It won't help me match the blue of the 90's version, but it'd help me scale the image from JimZ's site. I'd also really like a nice tight image of the area where the Estes Logo "bites" into the "M" of "Mean Machine". JimZ's site gives the impression that there's no separation between the logo and the "M", but previous Estes decals I've worked with has a small clear band (which takes on the body tube color) between the logo and the letter it's "biting".

I have a kit in the bag in the garage. Not sure what version it is, I bought it for the tubes.... Since I am dealing with some sort of phlemy crud, and have nothing better that I want to do, I'll get it out and do some scans.

I have the instructions, the entire fin sheet w/ ruler, and the decal. The decal is on 2 pages and not to scale. I didn't know how to make it so with an undersized scanner. The dims on the letter "M" are 1-7/16" square, or 1.4375". That should enable you or someone, to scale the rest of the decal. Do you want them? PM me with your email and I'll send them. The kit was a prize I won at a launch and I trashed everything I didn't want to keep for parts. I did think to save the instructions, fins and decal in case someone ever wanted them. And yes, I had no need for that oversized break apart coupler and tossed it.

I have a kit in the bag in the garage. Not sure what version it is, I bought it for the tubes.... Since I am dealing with some sort of phlemy crud, and have nothing better that I want to do, I'll get it out and do some scans.

Hi Terry,

Sorry to hear about you not feeling well. I had a case of pnemonia that I was dealing with through the holidays. I hope you're feeling better soon. My original interest in the Mean Machine was for the same reason... parts.

I'd love to see what you've got there, and can certainly use them.

All The Best! (and Get Well Soon!)
Jim

I have the instructions, the entire fin sheet w/ ruler, and the decal. The decal is on 2 pages and not to scale. I didn't know how to make it so with an undersized scanner. The dims on the letter "M" are 1-7/16" square, or 1.4375". That should enable you or someone, to scale the rest of the decal. Do you want them? PM me with your email and I'll send them. The kit was a prize I won at a launch and I trashed everything I didn't want to keep for parts. I did think to save the instructions, fins and decal in case someone ever wanted them. And yes, I had no need for that oversized break apart coupler and tossed it.

PM sent.

About that coupler... Darn. I just wish I had taken the time to scan everything I had, and measured what I had while I was still in school. Hindsight... 20/20.

All The Best!
Jim

PM an email address and I will send pics of the instructions, no scans sorry.

Hey Jim,
It's a seasonal thing, I'll get over it in a month or so. The down side is that yesterday was my local HP launch and this weekend was a hike and camp-out that I wanted to attend..oh well, such is life...

Anyway... here are scans of a fin and the decals. The grid paper is 1/4".
Not sure how to measure the coupling as it is very intricate and not sure a picture will tell you what you need

IMG_20170205_0002.jpgIMG_20170205_0005.jpgIMG_20170205_0006.jpgMM_Decal.jpgMM_fin.jpg.....

Ok, guys, I have all I need to sim up the yellow decaled "Angry" 'E' powered variant... Except for the specs on the plastic coupler. For the coupler, I'd like to know lengths, thicknesses, and diameters (I can't do the pins and slots in OR). Weight would be a plus.

I need to get the instructions, fins, and decals for the white decaled version (ca. 1985), and the decals for the blue decaled (ca. 1995) version.

It would be a nice gesture if you would routinely post the names of the people who fulfilled your requests. These people go out of their way to find the materials and scan them for you; the least you could do is give them credit on these threads.

It would be a nice gesture if you would routinely post the names of the people who fulfilled your requests. These people go out of their way to find the materials and scan them for you; the least you could do is give them credit on these threads.

Hi Lawrence,

True, in the past, I hadn't routinely added names, but I've started doing that. I've also been putting thank you messages in the .ork files as well. Back when I lived in the US, I was able to print out much of the files I'm now asking for because .pdf files and .tif files would print properly. Here, I don't have that luxury, and have been needing a lot more support to create the files I'm working on.

BTW, thanks for your contributions!

Last edited:
Ask and ye shall receive...... I present the coupling....

Male half....
DSCN3819.jpgDSCN3821.jpg
Glued end:
4.375 long, 1.585 dia, 0.041 wall
2 'glue grooves (?)' 0.085" wide, 1.498" min dia, 1/2" & 3.313: from the end
there is a 'stop shoulder' 1/16" wide x 1.63" dia
Inside there are 4 stiffeners (which you most likely can't do in OR).
Coupling portion: 1.932"L x 1.402" dia x 0.034" wall
There is an angled interface 1/8" long x about 45degrees where the halves meet when assembled
weight: 24.14gm

Female half...
DSCN3825.jpgDSCN3820.jpg
4.250" OAL 1.585" dia
2 grooves .521" and 1.62" from the end.
Stop shoulder 1/16" thick
glued end has 0.046" wall, coupling end is 0.095 wall.
2 internal stiffeners in the glued end
weight 21.38gm

Last edited:
Ok... Thanks to John Boren, I've got the Coupler info I needed for the "angry" E powered version from the first decade of the new millennium. Thanks to LW Bercini, Gary Byrum, T-Rex, and Lowpuller for the instructions/decal photos/and scans. Unfortunately... all of them are from the "angry" E powered version. I didn't know that was going to be the version everyone has. I'll get on it in the morning (it's almost a quarter after 1 am here now).

[EDIT] Thanks for the specs Terry... We were typing at the same time.

If anyone has the white version's instructions and decals, or the blue versions's, I could still use those... OR for the blue, the width of the body tube/fin decal (as it would be on the body tube) will do for that version.

All The Best!
Jim

Last edited:
While I probably could do the circular grooves, I'm too tired to attempt it now, and I'm not sure how well OR would like it.

Here's what I've got.

Attachments

• Estes Twist Lock Coupler (PNs 61163, 61162).ork
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi all...

Ok, got busy yesterday doing other things, I'm back on this for a while now...

On the yellow "E" powered version, I can't tell from T-Rex's and Gary's scans if the Estes logo imbedded in the "M" of "Mean" has a white border around it. I can see that it clearly doesn't have a white border that "bites" into the "M", but I'm interested in the area that is outside of the "M". I can see that the logos that the "e" fin decal is biting does have a white border.

Thanks

On the yellow "E" powered version, I can't tell from T-Rex's and Gary's scans if the Estes logo imbedded in the "M" of "Mean" has a white border around it. I can see that it clearly doesn't have a white border that "bites" into the "M", but I'm interested in the area that is outside of the "M". I can see that the logos that the "e" fin decal is biting does have a white border.

Thanks

I saw no white border on any of the logos.

KTesh

Just to be clear you are talking about a white border on the "Estes" logo proper in the "e", not the biting yellow "e" itself, right?

I'm talking about the logo that is embedded in the body tube's "Mean Machine" decal

Back