• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Scans Of The Estes Magician (2440) Fins & Decals (W/Ruler)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Dunno if you figured it out yet, but the Estes Cherokee-E (2408) is basically the same as the Magician (2440) except for the nosecone/payload area. I've got a scan of the Cherokee E's decals and instructions, but the not the fins (he had already applied those).

Since the two kits are so closely related (same part number for the fins), I figured I'd take care of two birds with one stone.

I found that my original, built, Cherokee-D (1247)'s fins were slightly larger than the Magician/Cherokee-E fins, and as such, not reliable for accurate simming of the newer models. I had bought the Magician with the intent of building a Cherokee D, but was surprised to find them not sharing the same dimensions. In talking to John Boren about it, I was told that the intention was that they'd be the same dimensions. I've since purchased an original Cherokee D, but it hasn't been delivered to me here in China for scanning and detailed comparison. I've also made arrangements to have someone pick up a Cherokee-E for me.

The online images of the Cherokee-D's fins from JimZ's site don't include a ruler, and as such, are not reliable for accurate reproduction of the Cherokee-D.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had this in open rocket, I think I took the measurements myself.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Magician_Fins.jpg
    Magician_Fins.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for that, but I really need to get a scan of the actual fins, I can import them using the image function into OR, and get the curves perfectly represented.

Hmmm, would a picture of them on my rocket help? I could use a white background and good lighting, they might show up since they are black.

Alright, I took a picture of one of the fins on my Magician and edited it in Gimp so that OR could recognize it. I tested the black and white image and it worked for me, though the straight lines are a bit messy. I included the picture I took as well in case you wanted to mess with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190902_100351.jpg
    IMG_20190902_100351.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Magician_Fins_.jpg
    Magician_Fins_.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 7
Here's the scan I took of the Cherokee-D's fin (left) and the Magician's fin (right) that arrived on Friday...

49707849441_a9f80d52b6_o.png

As you can see, the original Cherokee-D fins have a longer fin span than the Magician's fins. It would be even more pronounced if the image was completely level. However, the left side is ever so slightly sloped down from the right.

Last edited:
FWIW... The Magician was released in at least two different versions... One with a balsa nosecone and transition, and one with a plastic nosecone and transition.

Back