• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Scans of Estes Black Brant II (7243) Fins and Decals (W/Ruler for scale)... And Additional Info.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Simming up the Estes BBII (7243), but my sample is still stateside... In looking over the instructions I found on Estes' website, I've noticed that it's not an exact match to the (1958) version... Launch lug is now 3/16, payload body tube is longer, tube coupler is longer, now has a plastic part to attach the payload section to the shock cord (and plastic tooth picks to replace the old wooden ones).

I need scans of the fins with a ruler (for scale)(in or out of matrix). I also need a scan 300DPI or better (in a .png/.pdf/.tif format)(JPEGS have horrible losses in detail) of the decals.

I need measurements on the shock cord (PN matches the Red Nova which had a 41.5" long x 0.25" wide cord, but STUFF HAPPENS). Additionally the body tubes' lengths (including the engine mount tube). I could really use all the critical information on the plastic nosecone insert (72774)... Diameter of the plastic tooth picks... Fin thickness...

Here's what I've got so far (with a mod)... but I'm looking to do the scale fins :D This is based on some of the 4 finned versions seen out there, but not representing any specific one... Using the existing decals (though some cutting may be involved).

1678388999809.png

Last edited:
I think I can get you most (if not all) of this info; I believe I have this kit in my to-be-built stash and I have planned on building it next.

When do you need this by?

I think I can get you most (if not all) of this info; I believe I have this kit in my to-be-built stash and I have planned on building it next.

Thanks!!!!

As soon as I get the info I can wrap it up... The sooner the better.

Thanks!!!!

As soon as I get the info I can wrap it up... The sooner the better.
It might take me a few days, so if anyone else can get you the info sooner, don't hesitate to get it from them. If I end up doing the work and someone already got you the info, no worries; I need to figure out how to "archive" model rocketry kits with a scanner, anyways.

Ok, I have some of what you need: the decal and fin scans; both are at 600 dpi. Will post more later.

Attachments

• BB 2 Decals 600 dpi.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • BB 2 Fins 600 dpi.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Part of the scans got cut off, but I assume it doesn't matter with the fins. As for the decals, here's a scan of the part that got cut off.

Attachments

• BB 2 Decals Two 600 dpi.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The fins seem like they're supposed to be 1/8" thick (0.125), but in reality, they're probably closer to 0.130 inches.

Shock cord is 1/4" wide by 1/32" thick by 42.75" (approx) long.

Toothpicks are 2 and 9/16" long and 0.080" wide.

The MMT is 2.75" long

The "main" body tube lengths are: 7/8", 1 and 29/32", and 13.5"

I think this is the last info you need. This is for the plastic nose cone insert. Please excuse my wonderful artistic and drafting abilities. Also, as for accuracy, these were eye-balled with the ruler you see in the picture/scans; they were not measured with precision calipers.

20230309_181847.jpg

Last edited:
If I didn't have to go to work right now, I'd wrap this up within the hour... Keep your eyes peeled on my OR Files thread

Hi mh...

In working on this, I realized that there's more to do on this than I thought... Looks like my old sim (for the #1958 kit) was based on info from John Brohm's document, and it's different than both your sample, and my, later purchased (mint in bag... original), unbuilt #1958 kit. JB has the main tube as 13.625", the payload tube as 1.906", and the rear segment as 1.875" (obviously a typo... He had to mean 0.875").

Could I get a photo of the tooth picks? .080 is a lot larger than the measurement I have in my old sim (but then again, I used paperclips). My original sample's tooth picks have been lost to history, but I remember what they looked like.

About the fins... I'm going to default to 1/8" as if the average user does sand them as per the instructions they'd likely be a lot closer to 1/8" anyway.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
So... I'm done with the sim... I think I still prefer the paperclip solution over the toothpick solution to the antennas. I've opted not to do the scale fin trick as it didn't show up well in the images, and OR can't sim up the flight characteristics accurately anyway.

A good replacement is to use a flexible strand of wire instead of toothpick. That way the wire strand will
just bend and not break.

Bobby

Back