• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Scan Of Nozzle End Of Estes "D" Powered Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If someone could scan (with or without ruler) the nozzle end of an Estes "D" powered Motor, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
What is your goal for the image? Why a scan and not a photo? Most scanners have a very shallow depth of field so the nozzle may be out of focus.

Here are a couple of photos, one with a ruler, and one without. Hopefully helpful.

Tony

D12-5
5AF14A5E-2BFB-428D-8C16-0C43325C336C.jpeg3A3E5428-8CC0-42A9-A0E7-682D5C10A7D6.jpeg

What is your goal for the image? Why a scan and not a photo? Most scanners have a very shallow depth of field so the nozzle may be out of focus.

Here are a couple of photos, one with a ruler, and one without. Hopefully helpful.

Tony

View attachment 490540View attachment 490539

That Works! Typically people photograph things with an angle that can mess up measurements. Your shot is direct on...

BTW, Can you tell me what motor you photographed?

Thanks!!!

I edited after I posted it to indicate it’s a D12-5. The iPhone has an indicator in the camera app that tells you when the phone is level. It only shows up when the phone is nearly level. Most folks that I’ve pointed it out to have never noticed it before. For the photos of the motor I made sure the phone was level. Glad they were helpful.

Tony

white target is level, yellow is current phone tilt, tilt phone unit they coincide:
C1B9E592-E848-425E-BB61-37C9D4C3D4F8.jpeg

Thanks! Neat trick!!! I'm not that clever when it comes to phones... I'll have to check my own.

My 'new' phone is on iOS 12.5.5 (old) and I can't get the double crosses, but maybe newer phones/iOS's can. I'm probably going to upgrade one phone soon and I'll try the feature then. Seems like a good function and I'll let the guys at work know to try it tomorrow. Great for scaling images for sure.

Sandy.

My 'new' phone is on iOS 12.5.5 (old) and I can't get the double crosses, but maybe newer phones/iOS's can. I'm probably going to upgrade one phone soon and I'll try the feature then. Seems like a good function and I'll let the guys at work know to try it tomorrow. Great for scaling images for sure.

Sandy.
Its been around for quite a while as far as I remember, but the phone has to be pretty close to horizontal before the targets show up, and you have to hold it steady for a moment or two as well. Interestingly, there isn’t a similar function for vertical shots.

Tony

On my current-generation SE, "Grid" has to be turned on in camera settings for the leveling crosshairs to appear, and the level only works when the camera is pointed directly up or down. It's useful for photographing documents.

On my current-generation SE, "Grid" has to be turned on in camera settings for the leveling crosshairs to appear, and the level only works when the camera is pointed directly up or down. It's useful for photographing documents.
Great point - I had forgotten about that:

Settings > Camera > Grid (in the Composition area)

Doing so will turn on the 'rule of thirds' grid which can be used for composing images, and the crosshairs described above. I use it primarily as you mention - for photographing documents or photos, or whenever I want to limit perspective distortion.

Another trick a lot of folks haven't discovered is the perspective control that is found when you tap the Crop button. The rotation control is pretty obvious, but if you tap either of the two icons to the right, you can 'tilt' the image either up and down or left to right. It's great if you photograph a building or something similar and you have to tilt the phone to get everything in the frame.

But wait, there's more! In the upper left of the crop screen is a button to flip the image so it's reversed, or not reversed, along with the rotate button. In the upper right is an option to choose a preset aspect ratio. And finally, for reasons I don't understand (why it's in the crop area), also in the upper right corner, is the Markup button where you can draw on an image, and more usefully for me, is a ruler that lets you measure angles.

I have a feeling most of us only know about 10% of what our phones can do.

Tony

Doing so will turn on the 'rule of thirds' grid which can be used for composing images, and the crosshairs described above. I use it primarily as you mention - for photographing documents or photos, or whenever I want to limit perspective distortion.
Coolness. I've always had the grids turned off so I had never seen the crosshairs. Wish I could get the crosshairs without the grid (or could turn it all on/off without having to go into settings.
Another trick a lot of folks haven't discovered is the perspective control that is found when you tap the Crop button. The rotation control is pretty obvious, but if you tap either of the two icons to the right, you can 'tilt' the image either up and down or left to right. It's great if you photograph a building or something similar and you have to tilt the phone to get everything in the frame.
I've stared at those icons a zillion times and never thought to play with them. Coolness #2!
And finally, for reasons I don't understand (why it's in the crop area), also in the upper right corner, is the Markup button where you can draw on an image, and more usefully for me, is a ruler that lets you measure angles.
I've likewise used Markup a thousand times and never tried the ruler. Holy crap this is coolness overload.

A big three thumbs up for all this great info. 👍 👍 👍

But wait, there's more! In the upper left of the crop screen is a button to flip the image so it's reversed, or not reversed, along with the rotate button. In the upper right is an option to choose a preset aspect ratio. And finally, for reasons I don't understand (why it's in the crop area), also in the upper right corner, is the Markup button where you can draw on an image, and more usefully for me, is a ruler that lets you measure angles.

I have a feeling most of us only know about 10% of what our phones can do.

Tony

Wow! All of my co-workers didn't know any of this (i.e. everything was just set to standard settings). I turned on the grid and sure enough, the crosshairs came up.

I don't really know much about the rest of the post, but when I get some time on Saturday, I'm just going to play with the buttons to see if I can figure out what you're talking about. Should be fun and seems like a good way to learn how to do more stuff with the magic device in my pocket. Got to figure out the measure thing for sure!

From my perspective, you win the internet for today.

Sandy.

Back