• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Scan of article on a 1/1 scale AIM-9 Sidewinder missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I found a magazine with an article about a guy who built a full scale, or very close to it, AIM-9 Sidewinder missile.

I remember he used an L'EGGS egg for the sensor. However, I can't remember the name of the magazine [EDIT] Extreme Rocketry? [/EDIT], or when it was written.

Scans, or a link to the article would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, but I'm still looking for the Sidewinder article. I'm hoping to find a decent dimensional drawing of the AIM-9P (or related variants) for a sim (and hopefully build someday).

How hard would it be to scratch build a Sidewinder? I'd like to build one that could do high power but be low on mid-power (3" or so). Never scaled a rocket or did my own fin drawings/cuttings.

How hard would it be to scratch build a Sidewinder? I'd like to build one that could do high power but be low on mid-power (3" or so). Never scaled a rocket or did my own fin drawings/cuttings.
It all depends on how detailed you want to be. At heart the Sidewinder is pretty simple, but faithfully recreating a lot of the little details can escalate the build complexity if you want it to.

Marked as wanted.

Yup... I never got the scan I needed. I now think it was in Extreme Rocketry or High Power Rocketry. I'm guessing it had to be in an issue sometime between 1999 and 2005. I also think the missile was on the cover (something had to make me pick it up and open it (and buy it) during the lull between active rocketry periods (and my own known moves)).

Last edited:

Attachments

• sidewinder02a.gif
    sidewinder02a.gif
    104.1 KB · Views: 126
  • sidewinder03a.gif
    sidewinder03a.gif
    106.9 KB · Views: 119
  • sidewinder04a.gif
    sidewinder04a.gif
    98.4 KB · Views: 129
  • sidewinder05a.gif
    sidewinder05a.gif
    99.8 KB · Views: 117
  • sidewinder06a.gif
    sidewinder06a.gif
    96.1 KB · Views: 123
DSC_3064MR.jpg DSC_3066MR.jpg DSC_3067MR.jpg DSC_3068MR.jpg DSC_3069MR.jpg DSC_3080MR.jpg DSC_3081MR.jpg Here are some photos I took of AIM-9 on display at the Pima Air Museum -- those rollerons are crazy!

edit: changed to correct the term for rollerons

Last edited:
Someone flagged this as found... the article was not found, and I still want to read this.

Does anybody remember it? Have it? Can s

Actually, yes it does. At least when I spin it up with compressed air. I made axle out of music wire, and bushing out of brass tube. Grease it up and it spins rather nicely :)

Back