Quantcast

FOUND Scan of article on a 1/1 scale AIM-9 Sidewinder missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I found a magazine with an article about a guy who built a full scale, or very close to it, AIM-9 Sidewinder missile.

I remember he used an L'EGGS egg for the sensor. However, I can't remember the name of the magazine [EDIT] Extreme Rocketry? [/EDIT], or when it was written.

Scans, or a link to the article would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
here is a video to a 5.5 inch diameter version flown on a M motor

[video=youtube;Lj3NynZGaDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj3NynZGaDY[/video]

Bobby

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, but I'm still looking for the Sidewinder article. I'm hoping to find a decent dimensional drawing of the AIM-9P (or related variants) for a sim (and hopefully build someday).

FalconRocketry

Reaction score
One thing that i have done is use some scale model parts and measure them with calipers and then multiply by the scale to the full scale

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Marked as wanted.

Arsenal78

Reaction score
How hard would it be to scratch build a Sidewinder? I'd like to build one that could do high power but be low on mid-power (3" or so). Never scaled a rocket or did my own fin drawings/cuttings.

neil_w

Working on 20K
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
How hard would it be to scratch build a Sidewinder? I'd like to build one that could do high power but be low on mid-power (3" or so). Never scaled a rocket or did my own fin drawings/cuttings.
It all depends on how detailed you want to be. At heart the Sidewinder is pretty simple, but faithfully recreating a lot of the little details can escalate the build complexity if you want it to.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Marked as wanted.
Yup... I never got the scan I needed. I now think it was in Extreme Rocketry or High Power Rocketry. I'm guessing it had to be in an issue sometime between 1999 and 2005. I also think the missile was on the cover (something had to make me pick it up and open it (and buy it) during the lull between active rocketry periods (and my own known moves)).

Last edited:

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
Reaction score

rocketguy101

Reaction score
DSC_3064MR.jpg DSC_3066MR.jpg DSC_3067MR.jpg DSC_3068MR.jpg DSC_3069MR.jpg DSC_3080MR.jpg DSC_3081MR.jpg Here are some photos I took of AIM-9 on display at the Pima Air Museum -- those rollerons are crazy!

edit: changed to correct the term for rollerons

Last edited: