Scam Alert from Rocketry Mentor List.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
I got an interesting e-mail from someone that apparently got my e-mail from Team America Rocketry Challenge Mentor List. Turns out it is a scam. I attached the entire conversation, the first part you see is where he finally gets down to business. You can see where he was using a potential innocent conversation to try to hook me into something.

Douglas Gardei,

THE REASON WHY I WAS CONDUCTING A SEARCH WITH YOUR NAME:

How are you doing today? Like I said in my first email to you that I was conducting a search with your name Douglas Gardei – Mr. Anthony Gardei relations, when I get to your details in that site, the reason why I was conducting a search with your name Douglas Gardei is that late Mr. Anthony Gardei: from your country who worked with one of the Mine companies down here, who died in the year 2012.

Before his death, he deposited the sum amount of Fifteen Million United State Dollars ($15, 000, 000, 00) in the bank where I worked before my retirement and I was his account officer before my retirement. The reason why I was conducting a search with your name is that your name Douglas Gardei is what he stated as his next of kin.

After the bank audit meeting last year - which I was invited, I found out that the money has not been transferred to you as the beneficiary

I am willing to help you claim this fund, but you have to promise me that you are going to give me 20% of the fund as soon as you receive the money, for my help and assistance.

If you know quite well that you are not going to make undue advantage of the trust I will bestow in you, giving 20% for my help and assistance, I would like you to get back to me with Your Cell Phone number. Contact Address. Age and Occupation – to enable me draft a letter that you will use to contact the bank where the money is deposited.

I am ready to provide you with all the necessary information attached to this fund upon request.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Michael

On 8/27/22, Douglas Gardei <redacted> wrote:

> I don't know of an Anthony Gardei.

> Sorry.

> Doug

> On Aug 26, 2022 3:45 PM, Michael Bollman <redacted>

> wrote:

>>

>> Douglas Gardei,

>>

>> How are you doing? I am referring to Mr. Anthony Gardei, are you

>> related to him?

>> Michael

>> On 8/26/22, Douglas Gardei <redacted> wrote:

>> > I do know an Anthony family, but I am not related to them.

>> > I'm curious why you were searching my name?

>> >

>> > Doug

>> >

>> >

>> > -----Original Message-----

>> > From: Michael Bollman <redacted>

>> > Sent: Friday, August 26, 2022 2:44 PM

>> > To: redacted

>> > Subject: Inquiry?

>> >

>> > Greetings to you

>> >

>> > How are you doing today? I was conducting a search with your name

>> > when I get to this link

>> > (https://rocketcontest.smapply.io/res/p/Rocketry-Mentor-List/ ) I

>> > would like to know if you are related to Mr. Anthony?

>> >

>> > Looking forward to hearing from you.

>> >

>> > Michael

>> >

>> >

>

Well what made me decide to reply was because I do know an Mr. Anthony, and maybe this person may of knew me and was trying to reach him? But yeah, other than that fishy. I work in IT and I see a lot of scams daily, and a lot of very very sophisticated ones. Sometimes it can be very hard to tell if something is legit or a scam. I am glad that a lot of workers call me or e-mail me asking if something is a scam, 99% of the time it is.. It may take up my time but Its worth it on the security standpoint, and I already had to deal with the aftermath of people falling for them.

Well what made me decide to reply was because I do know an Mr. Anthony, and maybe this person may of knew me and was trying to reach him? But yeah, other than that fishy. I work in IT and I see a lot of scams daily, and a lot of very very sophisticated ones. Sometimes it can be very hard to tell if something is legit or a scam. I am glad that a lot of workers call me or e-mail me asking if something is a scam, 99% of the time it is.. It may take up my time but Its worth it on the security standpoint, and I already had to deal with the aftermath of people falling for them.
I see. My respect for your IT work. It seems like a really thankless job.

So, it ends up being just another Nigerian prince, but the initial hook looked pretty good. If I got an email out of the blue saying that my name came up in a search while looking for Anthony Avins, I too would respond that I don't know such a person, sorry I couldn't help, good luck in finding him.

If you are on some Facebook rocket groups, perhaps post a warning about it so others don't fall prey, please. :)

FYI, it's generally not a great idea to reply to these kinds of obvious scam emails. It confirms for these scammers that your email is a valid one that is monitored and may lead to more spam.
Wholeheartedly agree. But sometimes its useful to have a dummy email address... And a guy like James Veitch to reply to the scammers! BTW, do you want a toaster? :) :)

Last edited:
The Scam is in the air this season and includes Crypto to selling rare items. I have had folks reach out to me for help. I recently purchased two rocket kits from a well-known company and suspect they are stringing me along. They claim that the economy is going to delay shipping, and I hope they are legit.

I keep getting texts calling me by some name other than my own. Most of them start with something like "Hi" or "Hey" and claim to be named "Julia," though there are a few other female names used. I told one of them to "Go away" yesterday and "she" replied "I'm Julia, in New York . Have we met?" I asked her "What part of 'go away' did you not understand?"

@John Kemker Many of these are just scams to validate in use texting numbers. If you reply in any way you get added to a list of responsive text numbers that gets sold to spammers.
Check for a "Report Spam" button in your email client.
Also lets you unsubscribe so that you don't receive any more spam from that sender.
2023-03-11 (6).png

Last edited:
As I'm on the mentor list, I just looked for this one. It's in the spam folder for my iCloud email account. Looks like the filter got it right.
Same here. I wonder How they got the list?

Back