SCALE - WAC Corporal Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogino

Reaction score
The full scale Wac Corporal is 24 feet tall and 12 inches in diameter. The tiny tim is 8 feet tall with a 9in motor mount. The WAC Corporal is 16 feet tall and has a 6in motor mount. Motors will be 1 P in the booster and 1 N5800 in the sustainer.

Here are some pictures

Post copied to gallery with permission

IMG_6162.JPG

Booster Pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is upscaled slightly from the old Estes version. I had a friend that built the Estes BT20 version about 1967, I decided to build this BT50 version about 1985.

IMG_2119b.jpg

18mm WAC Corporal from ASP. This picture is from my pre-digital camera days 12 years ago. Probably should get another picture... Really scoots off the pad, and requires a long delay to avoid the dreaded smiles on the nose cone.:wink:

WAC.jpg

Mine was a BT-55 clone build that came about because I had a four pack of PNC-55BB cones that I was trying to use up. I painted mine in Notre Dame colors, something for which I was abused for at NARAM 43. (Some wandering scale-geek loser who told me that I "couldn't" paint a WAC Corporal that way. My parking neighbor said that the guy had been by our car three times before finally catching me prepping a rocket.) Later that fall, we flew on a windy day at our original QUARK field, the Lebanon YMCA. The WAC Corporal had a perfect flight, then landed softly on the asphalt parking lot and DRAGGED 100' or so. Looks like I took a grinder to it.:sad::rolleyes:

WACCorporal.jpg

The WAC Corporal was always a very cool looking rocket. A long time ago I had the Estes version and your post is bringing back some good memories of the old Estes fleet. Love to see that on a P motor!

Welcome to the Scale WAC Corporal Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the WAC Corporal and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Aerospace Specialty Products (ASP): 18mm WAC Corporal: KWAC-18
Aerospace Specialty Products (ASP): 38mm WAC Corporal: KWAC-29 or KWAC-38
Aerospace Specialty Products (ASP): Micro WAC Corporal: KWAC-MM
Estes: WAC Corporal: K-11 or #1211
Rocket R&D: WAC Corporal:
Semroc: WAC Corporal: KD-1
Thrustline: WAC Corporal: TACL-014

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The WAC or WAC Corporal was the first sounding rocket developed in the United States. Begun as a spinoff of the Corporal program, the WAC was a "little sister" to the larger Corporal. It was designed and built jointly by the Douglas Aircraft Company and the Guggenheim Aeronautical Laboratory.

The WAC Corporal was a liquid-fuel rocket, with fuming nitric acid and aniline used as oxidizers and furfuryl alcohol as fuel, launched with the help of a solid fuel Tiny Tim booster.

The first WAC Corporal dummy round was launched on September 16, 1945 from White Sands Missile Range near Las Cruces, New Mexico. After a White Sands V-2 rocket had reached 69 miles on May 10, a White Sands WAC Corporal reached 80 km (49 mi) on May 22, 1946 — the first U.S.-designed rocket to reach the edge of space (under the U.S. definition of space at the time). On February 24, 1949, a Bumper (a German V-2 rocket acting as first stage) bearing a WAC Corporal at White Sands accelerated to 5,150 mph to become the first flight of more than five times the speed of sound.

Scientists were later surprised when almost a year after the launch, tail fragments of the WAC Corporal rocket that reached 5,150 mph and an altitude of over 250 miles, were found and identified in the New Mexico desert near the launch site.

A few WAC Corporals survive in museums, including one at the National Air and Space Museum and another in the White Sands Missile Range Museum.

Last edited:
ASP WAC Corporal 18mm (KWAC-18) Basic Information.

asp.gif
Aerospace Specialty Products (ASP)

WAC Corporal (18mm)

#KWAC-18

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 15.75"/40 cm
Diameter: 0.976"/24.8 mm
Span:
Weight: 1.47 oz/42 gm

Mfg. Description: The Wac Corporal was the United States first sounding rocket. Seventeen Wac and Wac B rockets were flown from 1945 to 1947. The Wac was launched with the aid of the Tiny Tim solid propellant booster. After the booster burned out, it fell away and the liquid fuel propelled sustainer stage continued its' upward flight.

This "Fun - Scale" model of America's first Sounding Rocket is easy to build & flies well on A through C motors - perfect for any size field!

asp%20-%20wac%20corp%2018mm%20-%202011%20web%20livery.jpg
ASP 2011 Web ad

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
ASP WAC Corporal (KWAC-MM) Basic Information.

asp.gif

MODEL NAME: Micro WAC Corporal Also known as:

NUMBER: KWAC-MM

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 7"/177.8 mm
Diameter: 0.282"/7.16 mm
Span:
Weight: 0.23 oz/6.5 gm

Mfg. Description: The Wac Corporal was the United States first sounding rocket. Seventeen Wac and Wac B rockets were flown from 1945 to 1947. The Wac was launched with the aid of the Tiny Tim solid propellant booster. After the booster burned out, it fell away and the liquid fuel propelled sustainer stage continued its' upward flight.

Although it looks like a two-stage kit, this model is cleverly designed to fly on a single Micro motor.

Our Micro kits are designed to use the Quest TM Micro Maxx TM motors. They are all based on our "Minimum Diameter" T-MM body tubes. As a result they will generally fly higher than most of the other models available for the Micro Maxx TM motors. All kits include Kevlar shock cords, metallized polyester streamers (or Break-Apart recovery), water-slide decals and our usual complete instructions. Due to the small parts involved, these kits are not recommended for the first-time modeler. Younger modelers should have the assistance of an adult when trying to construct these small kits. (ASP 2008 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

asp-micro%20wac%20corporal-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
ASP 2010 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
We have an Apollo Commemoration Event coming up in March and I was asked if I had any rockets from a list. I volunteered to make this one (from scratch) and one more. I had not built a two stage before. I hope it works. I was going to fly it tomorrow, but our sport launch was cancelled due to bad weather.

picture.php

Post copied to gallery with permission

Thrustline WAC Corporal (TACL-014) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: WAC Corporal Also known as:

NUMBER: TACL-014

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale, Clone
Motor Mount:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Estes WAC Corporal (K-11 or #1211) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

NUMBER: K-11 or #1211

Introduced: 1963
Final Year: 1978
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 11.8"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span:
Weight: 0.65 oz

Mfg. Description: High-flying scale model of the famous sounding rocket! Easy enough for the novice to build, yet interesting enough for the experienced rocketeer, the WAC Corporal gives top performance for a scale model. Parachute recovery gives gentle landing flight after flight. Comes in easy-to-assemble kit form. (Estes 1964 Catalog)

=====

High-flying scale model of the famous sounding rocket! Easy enough for the novice to build, yet interesting enough for the experienced rocketeer, the WAC Corporal gives top performance for a scale model. Parachute recovery gives gentle landing flight after flight. Comes in easy-to-assemble kit form (Engines not included). (Estes 1966 Catalog)

=====

1967 Catalog text identical to 1966 Catalog
1968 Catalog text identical to 1966 Catalog

=====

High-flying scale model of the famous sounding rocket! Easy enough for the novice to build, yet interesting enough for the experienced rocketeer. The famous WAC CORPORAL gives top scale performance. Parachute recovery gives gentle landing flight after flight. Comes in easy-to-assemble kit form. (Engines not included.) Kit includes technical report TR-1. (Estes 1969 Catalog)

=====

High-flying scale model is easy enough for the novice to build, yet interesting enough for the experienced rocketeer. The famous WAC CORPORAL gives top scale model performance. Parachute recovery gives gentle landing flight after flight. Comes in easy-to-assemble kit form. (Engines not included.) Kit includes technical report TR-1. (Estes 1970 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-1964%20cat.jpg
1964 Catalog
estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-1966%20cat.jpg
1966 Catalog
estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-1967%20cat.jpg
1967 Catalog
estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-1968%20cat.jpg
1968 Catalog

estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-1969%20cat.jpg
1969 Catalog
estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-1970%20cat.jpg
1970 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-face%201.jpg
estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-face%202.jpg
estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-face%203.jpg
estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-face%204.jpg
estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-face%205.jpg
estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-face%206.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-wac%20corporal%20k11-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Rocket R&D WAC Corporal (3.9") Basic Information.

rocket%20rnd%20trf.gif
Rocket R&D

MODEL NAME: WAC Corporal (3.9") Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Stages:
Length: 67"
Diameter: 3.9"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

rocket%20rnd-wac%20corporal%20(3.9)-2013%20web%20performance.jpg
2013 Web Ad Performance Hobbies

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
ASP (38mm) WAC Corporal (KWAC-29 or KWAC-38) Basic Information.

asp.gif

MODEL NAME: 38mm WAC Corporal Also known as:

NUMBER: KWAC-29 or KWAC-38

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x38mm with 1x29mm Adapter
Length: 43"/109.2 cm
Diameter: 2.65"/67.3 mm
Span:
Weight: 24 oz/680 gm

Mfg. Description: We're sure that this version of the ever-popular WAC Corporal will soon be one of our top-sellers! Custom turned hard balsa nose cone and boattail, laminated, easily shaped fins along with plastic and wood conduit make this a model that looks and flies like a dream! Although designed primarily for 29mm F and G engines, this model has a main 38mm mount and is fully capable of flying on higher impulse engines. An adapter is included to fly 29mm engines (ASP Catalog 7)

=====​

The Wac Corporal was the United States first sounding rocket. Seventeen Wac and Wac B rockets were flown from 1945 to 1947. The Wac was launched with the aid of the Tiny Tim solid propellant booster. After the booster burned out, it fell away and the liquid fuel propelled sustainer stage continued its' upward flight.

At 2.6" in diameter and over 3 1/2 feet tall, we're sure that this version of the ever-popular WAC Corporal would be a welcome addition to anyones rocket fleet! Custom turned hard balsa nose cone and boattail, laminated, easily shaped fins along with plastic and wood conduit make this a model that looks and flies like a dream! Although designed primarily for 29mm F and G engines, this model has a main 38mm engine mount and is fully capable of flying on higher impulse engines. An adapter is included to fly 29mm engines. (ASP 2013 Web Ad)

Editorial Note: This rocket is listed in the ASP Catalog 7 as KWAC-29 and on their website as KWAC-38.

Advertising Liveries

asp-38mm%20wac%20corporal%20kwac29-cat%207.jpg
Catalog 7

asp-38mm%20wac%20corporal%20kwac29-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
This is Semroc's Deci-scale WAC Corporal. A fine kit. The fins are thick and you need to sand them to shape, but once I started on them and figured out the technique, it all went well and fairly quickly. I was pleased with the results. The paint job is not my best, but it looks fine from a couple of feet away.

WAC back.jpg

WAC Top.jpg

WAC Fins 2.jpg

WAC nose.jpg

Semroc WAC Corporal (KD-1) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

NUMBER: KD-1

Introduced: 2011
Final Year:
Designer: Carl McLawhorn

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 19.4" (49.3 cm)
Diameter: 1.17" (3.0 cm)
Span: 4.9" (12.4 cm)
Weight: 1.1 oz (31.2 g)

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

semroc-wac%20corporal%20kd1-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

semroc-wac%20corporal%20kd1-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

semroc-wac%20corporal%20kd1-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Back