Scale Staged Black Brant XI 1:7.5

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disregard my earlier idiotic post. That certainly sounds like a failure.

It's a bummer that it went down that way, and to such a nice rocket. Glad it'll fly again.

Ah nuts, sounds like a partial success at least, but glad to hear that you'll do it again. Hopefully better luck next time. Still a very cool project!

Yes it will fly again. LOC parts already shipped. Looking forward to what Featherweight says about the Raven, meantime I have two other trusted Raven3s to use. As for GPS I don't know, turns out the issues I had with the Featherweight GPS were because apparently you need a separate ground station for every tracker, exactly not what their website says:

Screenshot_20200731-073304~2.png

I wanted to add another tracker to the Talos for obvious reasons but that means I'd need a tracker and two more ground stations to the tune of $450 and I'm not really in the mood to send them more money at the moment.

Don’t think you can track 2 rockets at same time even with Altus system. Why not just put different systems in each stage?

Don’t think you can track 2 rockets at same time even with Altus system. Why not just put different systems in each stage?
Looks like that's what will happen. Maybe replace the Raven/GPS in the Black Brant with a TeleMega and throw an Eggfinder Mini in the Talos.

Launch day! Here she is in all her glory! J275 to I195 to H180.

View attachment 426793

Sadly it started to go downhill from there. At the pad I had a good fix on both GPS units with everything powered up. When I returned to the flight line, I had lost connection with both, so it seemed. The Featherweight tracker showed GPS lock on both units, but showed them disconnected from the ground station at the same time. However I said go to launch because I could see packets actually being received from both units. The system was flaky at the previous launch too, where it tracked both units but didn't detect launch or vocalize the flight, so this wasn't that surprising.

After leaving the rail it headed downwind. Probably should've gone with the J460 instead of the J275. Simulation showed the forward button leaving the rod at 40fps which is what I normally shoot for, but wasn't quite enough in this case.

Other than heading downwind it was awesome, popping off the Talos at burnout, coasting 2 seconds, and igniting the I195! Lost sight of it at Taurus burnout, and never saw or heard the H180 ignite. This time the GPS DID detect launch and was reading out the stats, topping out just over 5,000ft. So I knew at that point we had no ignition on the 3rd stage. Bummer!

At that point we could see the Talos stage under chute, so that was good. The GPS continued to call out the descent of the Black Brant at around 89fps which seemed alright for drogueless and with that additional nose weight. Not ballistic for sure. Last call out was below 700ft where I had set all the mains. GPS showed last known position over 4,400ft downrange.

Since I had the GPS in the upper stages I first went looking for the Talos which came down in a corn field. Had the rocket flown into the wind as planned the Talos would've been in the grass instead of the corn. I spent an hour in the corn walking along the line it was sighted on, using the GPS location and satellite image on my phone to stay on track, stopping and listening for the Stratologger's siren, but no luck.

With some trials and tribulations with the GPS I was able to locate the Black Brant. And the Taurus. Damaged, together, no chutes. I stashed those in the car and went back to look for the Talos until dark but couldn't find it.

After I got home I went through the data to see what happened. The flight data recorded on the Black Brant's Raven was just garbage. Pretty much recorded static. So it didn't detect launch, burnout, anything, so didn't arm any of the pyros. So after 2nd stage burnout it didn't fire the separation charge. The Taurus - Black Brant assembly reached apogee just over 5,000ft and the Taurus fired its separation. That was enough to slow the whole thing down to that 89ft/s freefall. Thankfully without the separation charge they were still pinned together at the interstage coupler so I didn't end up with a full lawn dart. At 700ft the Taurus then ejected its main as programmed but with the velocity and combined mass of the whole thing it just shreaded it. All I have left is about an inch of shroud line!

Even after impact the av-bays were in perfect order, nothing dislodged, powered on as normal when I got them home and downloaded the flight data. So I have no idea what happened with that upper Raven. I have flown these so many times on 3 stage flights with no issues before.

So here is what I brought home. Sad, but it will fly again. The av-bays and fin cans are actually undamaged aside from some scuff marks. It could've been a lot worse.

View attachment 426807

View attachment 426800

I'm sad about the Talos because I don't make a habit of losing my rockets, in fact I've never lost a mid/high power bird before. Having logged my tracks in the corn field I believe I know where it rests, in a small area that I missed, so I will take a look for it next month. That field gets irrigated so it was a goner by dark, maybe at least I can recover the motor casing if I can find it.
CFAFEE6E-64EE-4DD2-A42B-6D70026196E3.jpeg6854C1FB-A487-4218-99DB-5C3D0403FE73.jpeg
I successfully used a toy directional microphone to find my Tomahawk second stage yesterday in cattail reeds way over my head. GPS got me within 30’, where the mic picked up the Proton beeping out the Apogee

According to them you can, you just need a separate dongle for each tracker. Then in the application just open a separate tracking window for each.

Rebuild is coming along.

IMG_20200829_232436866~2_resize_89.jpg

Black Brant airframe between nose cone and switch ring is new. New section of airframe grafted to fin can below switch ring.

Taurus section new airframe grafted to fincan below switch ring. Needs third coat of primer yet.

Three layers of primer and filler to blend them. On the Black Brant I taped off the fins until the last layer of primer to save some work sanding. Third paint job on it now! 🤣 Taped off the Taurus fins, hopefully I can save them as is since their yellow finish was undamaged.

Here's a little information on what happened with the Raven in the sustainer. Apparently between the time I left the pad and when the launch button was pressed, the Raven detected launch while it sat on the pad. That's the best we can figure. The flight data looks like static, but when you zoom in you can see a 4.5G spike that appears to trigger liftoff. But then after no change in barometric data it just turned itself off.

Here is the graph.

1601864182134.png

I can't explain a spike of 4.5G. There was no chuff, and it had nowhere to "fall" on the pad. In either of those cases you should've seen a dip on the acceleration as it fell toward the pad but it's not there. Not only that, but the Black Brant with this Raven was completely pinned together with the Taurus containing the other Raven that should've felt the same jolt.

Other than a 3G spike the Raven also needs to see 3MPH velocity to detect liftoff. In hindsight that seems like a really low threshold. This data shows it reaching 3MPH at .24375s after liftoff detection is reported, not sure what's going on there. Part of that velocity is because the accelerometer is reading 1.1G at rest. Featherweight claims the Raven calculates the accelerometer calibration offset at power up, but clearly it did not since the velocity shows steadily increasing as the rocket sits there on the pad.

I've flown multi-stage with Ravens MANY times and have never experienced an anomaly like this.

So I ordered a TeleMega to replace the Raven and GPS in the Black Brant. With the telemetry, at least I can see the computer is truly ready for launch when the button is pressed.

IMG_20201004_220945759~2_resize_5.jpg

I have test flown the unit in dual deploy configuration with great results so it's been installed in the Black Brant AV bay. The Featherweight GPS will get reassigned to the Talos booster for now.

Last edited:
In other news, I found the booster! On our fifth visit in 10 weeks searching the corn field we finally found it. I say "we" because my wife was out there with me. What a woman! I had actually lost the sustainer to another rocket in the same corn field the month after this booster, and I was sure we could find them if we kept looking systematically. No rocket left behind!!

IMG_20201004_203638757~2_resize_13.jpg

Here's the old next to the replacement which is nearing completion already. I'm glad I found it, but I'm not sad I already built a new one. It's not flyable after being soaked by the irrigation on a daily basis for two months. I didn't think it would be, but I was pretty surprised how good of a condition it actually is. Just too much weakening and shrinkage. I couldn't even force the interstage back into the body for the pic.

Glad to have my 54/852 hardware back and I can reuse the parachute, nomex, and kevlar. Plus the farmer doesn't have 1,000lb kevlar in their combine. I figured it was a goner but the Stratologger actually might just be good to fly again! I was amazed how clean the inside of the AV bay was. You can see how much mildew grew on the plywood cap from all that irrigation.

IMG_20201002_215404211~2_resize_61.jpg

Here's the completed AV bay inside the transition/interstage on the Talos booster. I built it a little differently this time with a center #6 threaded rod and thumb screw holding it together.

IMG_20201102_224940692_resize_26.jpg

I added the Featherweight GPS unit that was originally in the sustainer. This won't be tracked live during flight but I figure it's only going to about 2,000ft so I should see its general location. I should be able to pick up the signal in a corn field after it lands.

IMG_20201102_225512632_resize_87.jpg

I didn't account for the length of the GPS antenna when I built out the interstage, I was thinking I'd use a short SMA extension and put the antenna outside the bay but eventually decided I'd simply make an extended cap and keep everything inside. It's not load bearing, you can see the kevlar is anchored to the large CR.

IMG_20201102_225714675_resize_18.jpg

There it is with the cap installed. This is the aft end of the interstage/transition for reference. The connector with the female pins accepts the main compartment ejection charge and the connector with the male pins connects to the wires extending to the apogee separation charge.

In hindsight, with the GPS added I probably didn't need to build this booster for dual deployment again.

There is a big regional launch coming up this weekend and I was really hoping to fly this, but the weather is not looking very good. This might not fly again until 2021.

I realized I hadn't updated the thread after my last flight. Back in April I flew the top two stages to verify the Altus Metrum. Flew great to about 2,000 ft! Except the sustainer came down JUST out of bounds of the field, about 30ft up in a tree. Just out of range of our fiberglass pole. With my $400 TeleMega in it!!

IMG_20210418_151538329_resize_27.jpg

I went over to talk to the neighbor. As luck would have it, that was one of a dozen dead ash trees that he'd planned on cutting down soon. A few days later I got my rocket back!

IMG_20210418_154946955~2_resize_94.jpg

Has a little damage from the tree branches as it hit the ground, but only cosmetic. She'll fly again!

Back