SCALE - Soyuz Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
Wow, great work!

I appreciate the time you've put in on these, especially the rear fairings on the Atlas Agena. It's tough to get them that smooth over the interior balsa supports! The flame fins look great.

So, have you tried the Soyuz yet? That's a good test for anyone with all the shrouds.

Post copied with permission

Soyuz 009_WEB.jpg

Soyuz 010_WEB.jpg

Soyuz 011_WEB.jpg

Soyuz 012_WEB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The zooch soyuz was next. It went up rock steady but I guess I did not secure the shock cord well enough to the shock cord and it came down in two pieces. No real damage so no big deal :)

Post copied to gallery with permission

soyuz ignition close-up.jpg

soyuz inflight2.jpg

soyuz inflight closeup 1.jpg

soyuz launch 1.jpg

soyuz launch 2.jpg

At about 1pm today the Soyuz went up for its first flight.

The flame effect was dramatic and pleasing.

The central G125 and 15 of the 16 D11-P motors fired. Altimeter reported apogee at 716 ft.

Initial liftoff was clean and straight up to about 400 feet, then there was a pronounced corkscrew to its flight path, which ended at deployment. Rocket4kids, you were absolutely correct, the turbulence did prove to be an issue.

Deployment went as planned, however when the lower rocket hit the ground all 4 boosters separated pretty cleanly from the core. This was coming down slowly onto soft grass. Very fixable, but will require a much stronger connection method going forward.

My son suggested telling everyone that the boosters were supposed to do that...

Flight pictures posted here. Got ground and onboard video but editing and posting those will happen tomorrow, as I am going out dancing with my wife tonight :D

IMG_8512.jpg

IMG_8513.jpg

IMG_8515.jpg

IMG_8518.jpg

IMG_8527.jpg

Thanks Bill for the camera at the pad. Cool pictures.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Some pictures by my wife Laurie from the day of the launch.

Mike Kruger (of Cosmdrome Rocketry, producer of the Vostok kit the Soyuz is built from), his son and I.

Bob Harrington's very nice paper Soyuz about to fly. This was one of the inspirations for my build.

Prepping recovery. Set up recovery the night before the launch. At the field added a 24" Rocketflite ematch with 1g recovery charge placed below the chutes and connected the quick link in my hand to the upper section of rocket.

Thanks to Alan for help at the pad.

The required "now stand next to the rocket while I take your picture".

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

Welcome to the SCALE - Soyuz Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Soyuz and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Dr Zooch: Soyuz:
Sero: Sojus:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Soyuz is a family of expendable launch systems developed by OKB-1, and manufactured by TsSKB-Progress in Samara, Russia. According to the European Space Agency, the Soyuz launch vehicle is the most frequently used and most reliable launch vehicle in the world.

The Soyuz vehicles are used as the launcher for the manned Soyuz spacecraft as part of the Soyuz program, as well as to launch unmanned Progress supply spacecraft to the International Space Station and for commercial launches marketed and operated by Starsem and Arianespace. All Soyuz rockets use RP-1 and liquid oxygen (LOX) propellant, with the exception of the Soyuz-U2, which used Syntin, a variant of RP-1, with LOX. In the United States, it has the Library of Congress designation A-2. The Soyuz family is a subset of the R-7 family.

Last edited:
Dr Zooch Soyuz Basic Information.

dr_zooch.gif
Dr Zooch Rockets

MODEL NAME: Soyuz

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Wes Oleszewski

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: This flying model rocket kit is the Russian Soyuz! Made in America, it is as Russian as we can get it without getting the State Department involved. This is a builder’s kit- meaning that there are lots of pieces and you have to do lots of work- yet it still has everything you’ll need to get it ready to fly- except engines. When finished the rocket stands just over 18 inches tall and weighs 2.2 oz. It is a single engine-single stage rocket with parachute recovery and can be built with average skill. This kit is in scale with our R-7 Luna and Sputnik kits- a clever ploy on our part, because if you have either of those you’ll now have to buy this one to complete the set. This Soyuz kit is so Russian you’ll find yourself suddenly talking with a Russian accent, writing your “R”s backward, drinking vodka and saying “Da!” as it launches for the first time. (Dr Zooch 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

dr%20zooch-soyuz-2010%20web%20livery.jpg
Dr Zooch 2010 Web Ad

Face Card

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
While rooting around the 'Net for cardstock rockets to fiddle with, I came across the "Sojus Kinder Rakete" on a couple of different download sites. It's a cardstock stomp rocket which appears to have been produced for a children's program at the Landesmuseum fuer Technik und Arbeit in Mannheim, Germany. (The designer's site is here--he makes some very nice card models of WWI biplanes, but doesn't have the "Kinder Rakete" hosted on his own site. I've attached the PDF to this post so you don't have to go rooting around the search engines to find it.)

The rocket is just slightly larger than a BT-50, which gave me the idea to make a flying model out of it by wrapping the body around a BT-50.

View attachment 118837

Here's how to do it:

The PDF has two pages: the first page has the body and nose cone, the "boosters" (fins, actually) and escape tower on the second page. You need to print two copies of both pages: one on cardstock and one on plain paper. We're going to wrap the plain paper copy of the body tube around the BT-50, use the cardstock copy for the booster/fins and nose cone, and wrap the paper escape tower around a 3/16 launch lug.

1. Set your printer so that the printed copy of the body tube is 78mm wide exclusive of the glue tab, which is the circumference of a BT-50. (Actually, it's 77.911497809026872313873555905332mm, but why be picky?) That translated to 90% on my printer, but you should double check that on your own machine.

2. Cut an 8 1/2" length of BT-50 and draw a single straight guideline on the tube.

3. Cut out the body tube from the paper copy--just the detail part, not the glue tab ("Klebelasche"). Lay one side against the guideline and wrap it around the tube using the adhesive of your choice.

4. Cut out the fins from the cardstock copy, score and fold them, and glue them on the tube as shown in the PDF's assembly instructions.

5. Cut a short strip of green from one of the fins on the paper copy and wrap it around a 1/8" launch lug, then glue to the body. I put mine on the seam of the paper wrap.

View attachment 118839

6. Add the engine mount of your choice. I used a short piece of BT-5 with an engine block in two 5-50 centering rings.

View attachment 118840

7. Cut out the cardstock nose cone and glue it together.

8. To stiffen mine, I glued two cardboard discs inside the cone--the center "punch-out" piece from a BT-5 centering ring, and another from a BT-20 centering ring, with a little bit of nose weight between them. Punch a small hole in the center of the BT-20 disc

9. Coat the threads of an eye screw in glue and screwed it into the BT-20 disc to provide a shock cord anchor, then clip on a snap swivel.

10. To make the nose cone shoulder, I used one of those thick adapters Estes sells for fitting a D engine in an E-engine mount. A plain old BT-50 tube coupler would probably work just as well.

View attachment 118841

11. Wrap the escape tower print around a 3/16" launch lug, cut it to length, and glue it to the BT-5 disc in the nose cone.

12. Add shock cord and streamer.

I haven't had the chance to fly mine yet, but with the heavy components I used on the nose cone and the small engine in the tail, it should be nice and stable.

Attachments

• 100_2875.jpg
    100_2875.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_2879.jpg
    100_2879.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 100_2877.jpg
    100_2877.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_2878.jpg
    100_2878.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Sojus_Kinder_Rakete01.pdf
    322.9 KB · Views: 116
Can you let us in on the source? Kit? Scratch? Paper?

sorry,
It's a scratch build from Semroc.
Its a BT-60 and BT-55
I designed it to fly on D's and E's.
Nosecone (the white area) has its own parachute.

Sero Sojus Basic Information.

sero-logo.gif
Sero-Papermodels

MODEL NAME: Sojus Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Roman Seissler

Type: Scale, Cardstock
Motor Mount:
Recovery:
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

sero-sojus-face.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
here is my Dr. Zooch Soyuz.....fun kit to build and fly! I went on the web and made some decals for her. Hope it is OK to post
000_0659a.jpg000_0655a.jpg

Attachments

• 000_0657a.jpg
    000_0657a.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 524
  • 000_0655a.jpg
    000_0655a.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
WOW Larry that 1/13th scale looks awesome! have you got some more pics?

The 1/13 scale Soyuz flew at the last ThunderStruck on 4 K motors in the boosters then air started an M1450.
100_0540.jpg
100_0552.jpg
100_0558.jpg
88.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0540.jpg
    100_0540.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 215
How did you guys lock down and then separate those strap ons?

It is bit difficult to explain, but I'll try. Each booster is attached to the main airframe at the bottom by a hook made from a shelf bracket and is spring loaded to help release it at jettison. The top of each booster has a 1 inch dowel that inserts into a jettison device and is held in by a pointed stud.
010.jpg bottom bracket
019.jpg top dowel and stud
022.jpg Internal central motor mount which is removable that has jettison device on top.
023.jpg Upper mount with the two part jettison device that separates by Bp charge to release stud in the dowel of the booster.
024.jpg lower booster mount that holds the bottom of the boosters.
23.jpg the jettison device showing half of the charge container that is spring loaded and spreads apart and releases the stud and dowel.

So one charge fired at booster motor burnout and released the top of the boosters. That charge also ignited a fuse that burned down to a Bp charge in each booster to deploy the parachutes for the boosters. As the top of the boosters separated from the main airframe the bottom attachment released and they were free from the rocket. One of the booster motors burned longer and was still under some thrust and that caused it to hang on and not get jettisoned. So that extra 8 pounds on one side of the rocket caused the second stage to spin and corkscrew as it ascended and it didn't reach the predicted altitude (5000 ft instead of 10,000)

Just finished this Dr. Zooch Soyuz. I can't get over how cool this thing is.
20151103_194124.jpg

20151103_194246.jpg20151103_194358.jpg20151103_194154.jpg20151103_194334.jpg20151103_194310.jpg

Back