SCALE - Saturn 1 Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. Zooch Saturn Ib Basic Information.

dr_zooch.gif
Dr. Zooch

MODEL NAME: Saturn Ib Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Pacachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: When you were a kid, you saw the Saturn IB kit at your local hobby store and said to yourself… “I can’t afford that! Think of how many lawns I gotta mow to buy that!” Today you’re an adult and watching the same kits appear on e-bay and saying to yourself “I still can’t afford that! Besides, my spouse will kill me if I buy one of and will take you about a zillion hours to build, and if you shoot it and it ends up on the power lines…arrrrg.

Well here at Dr. Zooch Rockets, we’ve solved both of these problems for you. Here is our ant-scale Saturn IB kit! Our kit won’t cost you a ton of cash and you can build it in an uninterrupted rainy weekend. Everything you stands about 17 inches tall and is highly detailed. When crashed like a lawn harpoon, it stands somewhat shorter and is still highly detailed. It uses scale fins and is so lightweight that a “C” engine will make it really boogie. This kit is part of the line of Dr. Zooch rockets and there are plenty more where this came from. So you can buy it, build it, crash it and WHO CARES?!, we’ll sell you another one! No divorce lawyer needed as you can easily point to something frivolous that your spouse bought for more money. (Dr. Zooch 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

dr%20zooch-saturn%20ib-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
NJRick

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a first-time flight engine for a Dr. Zooch Saturn 1B? I recently finished mine and while the whimsical instructions say to start out with a "C", I'm more inclined to try a B4-2 or A8-3. Any suggestions? Would an A8 be too weak?

Thanks!

Actually found my own answer on Apogee Rockets website on their S-IB page. A8 looks a bit weak (80' predicted altitude), so I'll start out with the B engines (~250').

I always thought the B6-2 performed well with my Zooch Saturn 1bs.

Actually found my own answer on Apogee Rockets website on their S-IB page. A8 looks a bit weak (80' predicted altitude), so I'll start out with the B engines (~250').

NEVER use an "A" on any of my Saturns... your flight will suck, you'll make me look bad and I'll be forced to come to your house and flush your favorite pet down the toilet. (If you do not have a pet, I'll just have to use your childhood woobie.)

BTW- folks, I'm totally cool with the printed fairings being used on my kits, as long as everyone understands that I have nothing to do with that product and I have never test flown any of my kits using it. So, weight and balance could become an issue. Otherwise I think that they look great and would like to see some feedback on how the kits fly while using them.

Speaking of Saturn IBs... coming this week to mark the 40th anniversary of the ASTP is the DR. Zooch AS-210 and Soyuz 19 set. This is a LIMITED EDITION and will only be sold in 2015. Contact your favorite rocket dealer.

4ASTP.jpg

I will be purchasing this set!!

Speaking of Saturn IBs... coming this week to mark the 40th anniversary of the ASTP is the DR. Zooch AS-210 and Soyuz 19 set. This is a LIMITED EDITION and will only be sold in 2015. Contact your favorite rocket dealer.

Ok,

Nit-noid question here for the Dr. Zooch Saturn-1B (AS-205 kit). Looking to use my decal printer paper to print out the 4 x "AS-205" lettering for the bottom of the black tubes. Does anyone have previous experience on Font and Pitch for these?

Thanks!

Fud

Hi Fud.....I have made these decals..I think they read SA-205....let me see if I have kept any notes on the font

Ok,

Nit-noid question here for the Dr. Zooch Saturn-1B (AS-205 kit). Looking to use my decal printer paper to print out the 4 x "AS-205" lettering for the bottom of the black tubes. Does anyone have previous experience on Font and Pitch for these?

Thanks!

Fud

Hi Fud.....I have made these decals..I think they read SA-205....let me see if I have kept any notes on the font

Thanks Rick. Let me know if you find out anything - I appreciate you looking!

Fud

ordered my Dr. Zooch ASTP limited edition set from JonRocket today!!! :grin:

Fud...sorry for my delay..I printed a number of 1b numbers but I never recorded what specific font that I used. my old computer still has Microsoft Word 2007 on it..I believe that I used a font called Microsoft Sans Serif

Thanks Rick. Let me know if you find out anything - I appreciate you looking!

Fud

Finally made some "SA-205" decals (see 5th pic) to finish up my Saturn 1B from Dr. Zooch (AS-205/Apollo 7).

Thanks to NJ Rick for the advice on the "SA-205" decals. Had some trouble with the decals even after using Testors Decal Bonder though - they curled on me and flaked a bit. I used Microsoft Word, "Tunga font, 7.5 pitch" to print them out. Still not sure I got a good match with the actual rocket; attaching a 1968 NASA pic from Pad 34 during the "stacking" showing detail of the "SA-205".

Not the best looking Saturn 1B in this thread, but it was fun and challenging to build. I enjoyed it!

Hoping to launch it later this fall - NOT with an "A" engine Dr. Zooch! ;)

Saturn 1B - Build 2.jpgSaturn 1B - Fins and Engines.jpgSaturn 1B - Detail.jpgap7-S68-29781HR.jpgSaturn 1B - -SA-205-.jpgSaturn 1B.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful Job!!! she turned out great!! The Zooch 1b is a great kit and you did a great job with her!

Finally made some "SA-205" decals (see 5th pic) to finish up my Saturn 1B from Dr. Zooch (AS-205/Apollo 7).

Thanks to NJ Rick for the advice on the "SA-205" decals. Had some trouble with the decals even after using Testors Decal Bonder though - they curled on me and flaked a bit. I used Microsoft Word, "Tunga font, 7.5 pitch" to print them out. Still not sure I got a good match with the actual rocket; attaching a 1968 NASA pic from Pad 34 during the "stacking" showing detail of the "SA-205".

Not the best looking Saturn 1B in this thread, but it was fun and challenging to build. I enjoyed it!

View attachment 271975View attachment 271973View attachment 271974View attachment 271972View attachment 271971View attachment 271970

View attachment 271975View attachment 271973View attachment 271974View attachment 271972View attachment 271971View attachment 271970

Finally got out and launched it this weekend - great flight. Can't say enough about how great of a kit this is! Flew it on a B6-4. Might go with a B6-2 like NJ Rick recommended on future flights. Thanks Dr. Zooch!

the Zooch 1b is my favorite kit of all time...plastic or model rocket. Fud91....you will just have to build another! I am currently working on his Apollo 5 Saturn 1b.

glad to hear you had a great first flight! These rockets fly great!

Finally got out and launched it this weekend - great flight. Can't say enough about how great of a kit this is! Flew it on a B6-4. Might go with a B6-2 like NJ Rick recommended on future flights. Thanks Dr. Zooch!

Back