Scale rocketry section poll..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should there be a seperate micro section???

• YES

• NO

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Over the last few months, I've been involved in a few discussions that invariably bring up the idea of a Scale section here at TRF. Once again, that subject has been mentioned in my Jane's Query thread, and I'd like to publically ask the members of this forum for a survey.

The idea - IMHO - is that it should include all things pertaining to Scale Rocketry, Links, Resources and the like.

If you need to find a link to a certain site - it would be there, if you need an image, there might be a link listed to that image, or even someone within the community that has the information available.

I haven't went through and counted all the threads dealing with scale references or scratch-built scale designs, but I'm betting that thread count would be high.

So, to that end, I'd like to propose a simple poll to see what the response is. My first try at this, so here goes.

Cheers,

I love scale. Most of the kits I've bought so far have been scale. All my scratch designs are either scale or "scale like". I joined TRF after lurking for a few days, then needing some scale information I took the plunge and haven't looked back. There is a lot of scale data on TRF of course but having a section to post it in specifically would organize it better.

I like scale the best. I like them to look like something real. I don't see much potential for the types of competitive discussions about accuracy and detail that can get in the way of any hobby involving reproduction. The folks are just too friendly and the moderators are very good.

Someone on the forum has a tag line that says something to the effect of Rivet counting is fine as long as you count your own and not someone else's.

I'd love to see a scale setion, my house would be full of Sparrows, Hawks, and HoJos:D
Bob

yes .I'm always looking for scale information and I have alot to share as well

Yes, please!

darn...I can't vote twice!:mad:

OK...who voted no???

sandman

This is completely amazing - yesterday I was having the EXACT same thought.

So, YES!

-Vostok Vince

yes, this is a great idea, I love scale rockets.

"Scale Rocketry" or the like would fit well under the "Modeling" category. I say it's worthy and pertinent so long as people started appropriate threads in it.

ROL has a "Scale Data" forum. How come TRF doesn't? :p :D

This question has come up a few times over the years...I have posterd a question to my fellow admins and moderators to discuss it once again as it appears to warrant revisiting.

Carl

will this be for scale as in military or sounding rocket scale, or can it be fore upscales too? Just wondering......

Originally posted by Ryan S.
will this be for scale as in military or sounding rocket scale, or can it be fore upscales too? Just wondering......

Typically, the reference to "scale data" generally applies to actual blueprints, measurements, drawings, designs, etc. pertinent to real rockets or spacecraft. I would imagine "upscaling" is more of a technique as opposed to "scale data". Granted, these terms can be used loosely and I guess are subjective to the person using them. Good question though.

I LIKE Scale stuff!!!
That would be a "yes" vote!
I eventually plan to build a full scale Amraam!! Heeheehee!!!
Dr Don

I hope you have seen the Smokin Rockets page. I am pretty sure they have a full scale AMRAM for sale.

I would say that upscaling would go in the techniques forum, but thats just me. Would the same go for downscales of popular HPR kits?:confused:

They got a 6" and 7.5".

Which is full scale, the 7.5?

Tell you the truth, im not sure... Look at the pics page on that website. I saw one with a caption that says "soandso with his full-scale AMRAM". I can only assume it is one of thier kits... It might be custom work....:confused:

Yep. It is in pic #2 on thier website. It says that it is thier second kit. It looks like 7.5" to me, but I am not sure.

Wow !!!
Thanks for the Smokin' Rockets link!
I am awed by their kits...just a little out of my budget range for now...but...WOW!!! Dr Don

Upscales and Downscales I would think would be best served in the Techniques/scratchbuilt section...

Staying on topic seems to be fairly easy on this forum, at least from what how the other sections are used. So I would think that the same would apply for a Scale Section, if approved and added. 8)

Carl,

I'm hoping that this thread helps the admin team with their decision. It looks as if there are quite a few people whom would use and enjoy such an addition. My sincere appreciation for the admins consideration.

With kind regards,

R.S. Barker

Originally posted by Neil
I would say that upscaling would go in the techniques forum, but thats just me. Would the same go for downscales of popular HPR kits?:confused:

That would be my recommendation.

After serious consideration on this matter, your TRF staff has decided it would be best to not add a Scale category at this time. Most of the posts are being placed in the Scratch section or associated Rocketry section and this seems to work well.

As far as repositories go, TRF is a forum rather than a storage facility for these items and as such, is not designed to handle the ammount of available info. There are some websites out there, most are outdated or thin in subject matter. I have future plans to create a common website for sharing and storing scale data, photos and information at www.scalerocketry.com . Contruction of the site will begin after the Whitakers Launch in April, so if you guys can wait until then, we could use it for our data. I have collected quite a bit myself and plan on making it available to scale rocketeers.

Best Regards,

Your TRF Staff

pout.... It sounded like a good idea to me.... (and, by the looks of that poll, 83% of the rest of the people here). Oh well. Ill have to look at that new website, whenever its up and running.:(

Our decision was based on the intended purpose of such a forum. The goal was to act as a repository of scale data. TRF is designed as a discussion forum. We felt that creating an additional forum could confuse matters for members as to which forum a thread should be posted to. For example, if someone wanted to discuss their new midpower, scratch-built, Nike Smoke, which forum do they post that thread in? Midpower, Scratch-built, or the new Scale-Data? Also, if this is to be a repository, we wouldn't want threads being hijacked with "Hey Joe, you gonna bring that new smoke to the next launch?" kinda posts since this is supposed to make it easier to search for scale data. Right? Carl had already acquired the domain name www.scalerocketry.com awhile ago and had plans for doing exactly what you're asking to do. We plan on linking to Carl's site when he gets it completed. If we were to have created a scale forum, then we'd be creating new forums for all types of specialties. We just think that getting too many forums just adds confusion as to where to post threads and adds to the complexity of moderating TRF as a whole. I hope this explains some of the reasoning behind our decision. We really did discuss it at great length. :D

.thats too bad ...I was hoping for a category to discuss scale rockets .like all the other categorys here.
remember ,,,If people want to share info that will most likely be done with email .

the forum is not set up to be a repository anyway .it's just annother category .simple as that.whats the problem

What "stymye" said. I wasn't under the impression this was for a repository of scale data either, just another discussion category.

Same here.... A big database would be real nice, but I was more thinking of discussions on scale rockets and missiles, not a database, nice as a database might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back