Scale rocketry section poll..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should there be a seperate micro section???

• YES

• NO

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To clarify even more... :) The perfect place do discuss Scale model building is in Modelling...Scratch Built. Modeling deals with the way things are built not about launching. Scratch Built has to do with building not from a kit. Thus a perfect place for Scratch Built Scale Rockets. Right? :)

what is the real problem with adding an extra category?get to the point please

scratch building techniques are actually only a small part of a typical scale modeling topic
there is alot more to share and discuss about.. a saturn V... than say....... an estes Big daddy..
there are atleast as many people in the rocketry community that are as passionate about scale rocketry,.... as there are folks strickly into high power rocketry.....
atleast 80% of the people who read this thread are.....
that much is for sure,
how about a trial run.....?
if the conversation doesn't fit your "criteria " than decide...

Wow... Look at the vote count! I dont think I have ever seen a poll with 50 votes! And 44 for it, 6 against it.... I think that says enough....:eek: ;) :rolleyes: :D Ill go with whatever you guys decide. I dont do THAT much scale rocketry, but its still would be nice to have a designated place for it for when I do.:cool:

Originally posted by MarkABrown
We really did discuss it at great length. :D

"so, Carl, whadda'ya think"
"naaaa"
"yea, me too."
"Phil? 'bout you?"
"cows, COWS, I see *cows*!"
"k, that's a "no" from Phil too"

gettin' punchy now... LOL

First off, I just wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the decision, and further explain what I had envisioned for this new section.

A section on TRF devoted to Scale Design would be made up of two areas:

Scale Discussion:
1) A general discussion area for Scale design, like the other sections here at TRF, but its focus would be scale, its design and even historical reference.

Scale Resources:
2) A section devoted to rockets/missiles and the like. With the amount of sites online that hold data, images and the like, its a large task to locate data, if you don't know where to look. Sure, these sites could go down tomorrow, but at least a general listing could help such an endeavor.

All I ever hear/see here is IF someone is looking for something, they need to do a search through the archive here and read a ton of threads on the off chance that the information was already posted/referred to by a member.

So, why not combine all that into one section..devoted to it.

NOTE: No images, videos or direct download links would be placed in this section...BUT links to those pages/sites could be.

You could have a thread for each type of rocket, with links to sites online and listings for online image sources.

As one example: MANY of you seem to speak of the older Scale/Sport Rocketry magazines, which seemed to have had a large impact on designs and scale design. For me, I do not have access to these old magazines, but it would be nice to know if these are available online for perusal - pdf/image etc.

If I needed information on a particular design, a general listing/sticky would have some of the following sources so you would know what books to buy, or at least where to look. Examples follow:

Rocket's Of The World - Pete Alway
ROTW Supplements 1999 - 2003
Boeing's website for Delta 2, 3, and 4
Apogee for Plans
The Nike Site for Nike images and information
Jimz's Site for plans
Yellow Jacket Systems for images, etc.

Needless to say, this would not be an exhaustive listing, but would be a place to start the search for such data.

In any case, I understand the reasons for not adding this section, and I am very disappointed simply because Scale Design is what made this hobby what it is...

Building a scale design of your favorite real world rocket/missile, and marvelling at it at launch.

My sincere thanks to the admin for your consideration and time in dealing with this matter.

<b>44 for it, 6 against it.... I think that says enough.... Ill go with whatever you guys decide</b>

The decision has been made guys and nothing is going to change that...Silverleaf, thanks for the request as we always are open to new ideas and possible change. Sometimes, as in this case, the answer is no, but it can always be revisited down the road.

Thank you all for your input and please consider this request closed.

TRF Staff

Hey! Thanks for the link to the Amraam site!!
Dr Don

How many times can I vote YES!!??

I LOVE Scale models: Bring 'em on: Missiles, Space launchers, manned, unmanned, sounding rockets, experimentals, you name it!!

I often go to sleep at night, reading my copy of Peter Alway's 'Rockets of the World'

Fred

LOL. COWS are always a baaaaaad omen around here!:D ;) :p This joke isnt getting any less funny with age....:D :p

Originally posted by CTulanko
I have future plans to create a common website for sharing and storing scale data, photos and information at www.scalerocketry.com . Contruction of the site will begin after the Whitakers Launch in April, so if you guys can wait until then, we could use it for our data. I have collected quite a bit myself and plan on making it available to scale rocketeers.

Well then, I look forward to seeing your website "get off the ground" (pun intended)..........

YES! Please!!!
I'd really like to see a Scale section on TRF. As someone mentioned earlier as long as it is used for Scale modeling of real Vehicles. The definition should be spelled out well in the forum tag line.
Just a thought, as most not all "Scale" kits are very poor renditions of the prototype they profess to depict. This could be an excellent forum for correcting, modifing or scraping to start over on these "Kits". Starting Sport scale models, as well as drawing a lot of us True scale nuts, hording tons and tons of scale data and photos.

Yes, that reminds me of Peter Alway's definition of those 'scale like' kits: "This model is exactly what the actual rocket looks like if it looked like this." ;)

The poll and thread is now closed...thank you for your input and participation.

TRF Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back