Scale Rocketry Forum...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsexton

Reaction score
I know there was a vote and some discussion about adding a Scale section to TRF and the decision was "no" and the thread has been closed.

But, for those of us that are still interested in such a forum check out The Scale Rockets Forum. It is fairly new and not a lot of content yet.

Competition is good thing...

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:31 am Post subject: Use of the Forum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Scale Rockets Forum is for the promotion of and the knowlegible use of the products of Scale Rockets.

While this may entail the occasional referral to a competitor with a solution, the administration of the forum retains the rights to offer these solutions.

I have enough trouble trying to keep up with the Forums i'm on now! another is just another headache.
That was one of the Main reasons I liked the idea of adding a Scale section here!
I may check this one out later but for now Yahoo's Scaleroc, contestroc, MicroMaxRockets,nightlaunch,emrr, ROl and this forum are all I can handlel

Mark - You are correct. After browsing the Scale Rockets Forum it is certainly not vendor agnostic. But, like any forum it is only as good as the members that post.

Micromister - I agree with you. There are a lot of discussion groups/forums out there and it is difficult to keep up with them all. That is also a reason I would have liked to seen a scale section on TRF - I do think it is the best rocketry forum going.

Let me just point out one more time that there are already several places on TRF that you can post about scale rocketry. We are currently working on an appropriate solution for archiving your scale data with Carl's future website.

Phil, dancing the happy elf dance mooing to the top of his lungs, tries his best to keep the membership of TRF distracted long enough for Carl's site to be completed. "Look at me! Look at me! Mooooooo!" :D

it looks like a cool site but all the threads are locked (most of them anyway)

I still love TRF

Well, if I had seen that forum before finding TRF, I would say a pretty cool place to go....... But after been here at TRF a while, that website is just ok, nothing to "write home to mom" about.......

Phill, Mark, Carl, Jim and the rest of you moderators...
I still think ya just don't get it! we'er not talking about archiving scale data here...where talking about discussing Scale building and Where to obtain or share the data. We'ed post pics of completed projects of coarse but it'd still be a Specialty Discussion Group. Carls site could very well be a good place to stick SOME data but there is FAR to much data out here to put in any one place. I personally have more the most servers would be able to handle at the moment, while collecting additional info all the time! I have friends and contacts that make my tiny collection look sick.
If we had a dedicated section for Scale models and modeling tips, it would just be easier to manage than going thought all the scratch build threads on cloning some 3f&n rocket kit. Scale modelers use many techniques that just wouldn't be worth the time on a plain old scratch built kit type model.
I'll get off my soapbox now.

LOL, Micro... I do completely understand what you are saying. But think about the absolute smallest factor of Rocketry. For example, lets talk about scratch built parachutes. If I made my own I could easily use your argument that I don't want to wade through posts about altimeters and pads (In the Recovery forum) just to talk about scratch chutes. So, I would argue for a new forum. Now take this miniscule argument to any part of rocketry. There are literally thousands of possibilities. So, where do we draw the lines? Today Scale, tomorrow MicroMax, and the list goes on. Trust me, we do understand and we have talked about this many, many times and in depth. BTW, Carl fought hard for a MicroMax forum but in the end we still have to go back to what we are trying to do here.

I have seen forums that have gone completely out of control with many, many categories where you have to page down 10 times just to get to the end of the home page. I ended up not visiting the forum because it was just too much effort to get to where I wanted to be. We are trying to avoid that. We believe the categories offered currently are about as fine grained as we can go without getting out of control.

When it does go out of control, another problem comes up. I'm building a scratch, mid power, AMRAAM and I have a question about glassing. In the current world would that question go in Scratch, Mid Power, or Techniques? Tough question but there are only 3 options. Now add Scale, Glassing, Epoxy, and any other forum you can think of and the choices get incredibly tough.

TRF was designed not only to contain mountains of information for new and old rocketeers but to be easily used reasonably by rocketeer and vendor alike. I think we have reached a pretty good compromise with what we have. And that is where we are coming from. So, trust me, we do get it.

I hope this shows you that we are trying to take the whole world in consideration when we make these choices. We do take all suggestions to heart. There are no crappy suggestions. Some are like preparation H and feel good on the whole but some are like sand paper and just don’t fit. So, again, trust us, we do get it. :)

Originally posted by Micromister
Phill, Mark, Carl, Jim and the rest of you moderators...
I still think ya just don't get it! we'er not talking about archiving scale data here...where talking about discussing Scale building and Where to obtain or share the data. We'ed post pics of completed projects of coarse but it'd still be a Specialty Discussion Group...
We understand what you were asking for. This is what we discussed and voted "No" on. What the members don't seem to understand is that after some discussion, we feel that a Scale Rocketry forum is just a subset of the already available forums. It would serve to confuse the issue of what forum to post in and lead to more work for the moderators to keep threads on track. The creation of a Scale forum would also inevitably lead to additional specialty forum requests. I'm sure that the Micromax request would resurface and we'd probably get a futuristic design request and how about a forum just dedicated to saucers. All of these areas are currently addressed with the available forums without any confusion as to where to post.
Originally posted by Micromister
...Scale modelers use many techniques that just wouldn't be worth the time on a plain old scratch built kit type model...
Techniques belong in the Techniques forum. Low-power scale rocket discussions belong in the Low-Power forum. Mid-Power scale rocket discussions belong in the Mid-Power forum. High-Power scale rocket discussions belong in the High-Power forum.

Micro and People,

The purpose of the proposal was two fold, one for storage and one to discuss and post as you mentioned. The discussion part for building Scale was more prevelant that using TRF as storage, which would be an afterthought.

Soapbox:

It was discussed...the answer is...

no, nada, niche, nine', ni'et

...and in many other languages not mentioned. It's over, done...so which part of "NO" don't you guys understand?

Off Soapbox:

Kinda harsh but I am tired of hearing it...nothing personal, just business.

Carl

Wow...two other mods also stepped in and beat me to the punch...should tell you guys something, huh?

Carl

LOL, and the mods did not orchestrate this barrage but you can see we are kinda all on the same page. :D

For what its worth,

When I mentioned a resources section in a Forum section thread a while back, Carl had mentioned he was planning to do a Site with Scale data, resources, and the like.

My reason for such an endeavor was based on some sites/sources online going belly up, and the data no longer being available.

I personally have over a gig of data collected now, and offered to send him a couple cds of info for the site. My collection is broken down with each rocket having its own folder, with drawings/photos and specs - where available.

I agree with Micro completely. 8)

Here was my follow-up thoughts that were posted at the end of the original thread Scale section w/ poll before it was closed.

A section on TRF devoted to Scale Design would be made up of two areas:

Scale Discussion:
1) A general discussion area for Scale design, like the other sections here at TRF, but its focus would be scale, its design and even historical reference.

Scale Resources:
2) A section devoted to rockets/missiles and the like. With the amount of sites online that hold data, images and the like, its a large task to locate data, if you don't know where to look. Sure, these sites could go down tomorrow, but at least a general listing could help such an endeavor.

All I ever hear/see here is IF someone is looking for something, they need to do a search through the archive here and read a ton of threads on the off chance that the information was already posted/referred to by a member.

So, why not combine all that into one section..devoted to it.

NOTE: No images, videos or direct download links would be placed in this section...BUT links to those pages/sites could be.

You could have a thread for each type of rocket, with links to sites online and listings for online image sources.

As one example: MANY of you seem to speak of the older Scale/Sport Rocketry magazines, which seemed to have had a large impact on designs and scale design. For me, I do not have access to these old magazines, but it would be nice to know if these are available online for perusal - pdf/image etc.

If I needed information on a particular design, a STICKY thread could have some of the following sources so you would know what books to buy, or at least where to look. Examples follow:

Rocket's Of The World - Pete Alway
ROTW Supplements 1999 - 2003
Boeing's website for Delta 2, 3, and 4
Apogee for Plans
The Nike Site for Nike images and information
Jimz's Site for plans
Yellow Jacket Systems for images, etc.

Needless to say, this would not be an exhaustive listing, but would be a place to start the search for such data.

Cheers,

My apologies..I was posting a follow-up to Micro's post, and didn't see all the responses from the Admin that were posted in the mean time.

I can remove my thread if needed...8)

Originally posted by Silverleaf

Removal is not necessary unless you just want to. Opinions are valued here at TRF even if they are STUPID!!! just kidding - you make some very valuable points but I hope you also see ours. Hopefully Carl's site will satisfy your needs.

Carl, lots of pressure on you bro - hurry up and finish the site. :)

Originally posted by Silverleaf
My apologies..I was posting a follow-up to Micro's post, and didn't see all the responses from the Admin that were posted in the mean time.

No need to remove the post. Your explanation was a good one but, you're flogging a dead horse.

We value all suggestions but this suggestion benefits only the scale modelers. It would serve to confuse the rest of the TRF members. Also, there is no way to restrict what can and cannot be posted in one forum without applying that to all forums so you can't require no pictures or attachments. The only way to enforce that would be for a moderator to do it. More work.

Dam Phil! You and I must have this Vulcan Mind Meld thing going on now. You're just a little quicker at hitting submit.

LOL, Mark and I responded again at the same time... and here comes Carl... (maybe) :)

Originally posted by MarkABrown
Dam Phil! You and I must have this Vulcan Mind Meld thing going on now. You're just a little quicker at hitting submit.

ROTFLOL!!! We did it again!!! LOL!!!

I'm understand you guys, but I disagree with your reasoning.
Sometimes Carl, a bad decission needs to be pointed out! Phil that micromaxx question was a good example, would I have liked to see an additional section for them sure... but all that was really necessary was to update a definition.
Not so with scale:
Using your Amraam as an example, your correct epxoy and glassing would be handled under techniques, and you might want to put a finished pic in the mid-power section, but think of all the different Scale comments, data pointers and sources you might pick up from have suggestions and comments from floks who have worked though the different piles of data and photos on that mass produce missile for just the correct shot showing a specific detail not on the drawing you have obtained or getting a lead on a source for a full size set of construction drawing for the manufacturer and/or confirmed color data. panel placements ya just can't see on the plans. Wiring tunnel info. not to mention advise from folks who have actually built and flown the model in sizes from Micro-Maxx to full size.
I'm sorry you can't see that Scale modeiling is a completely seperate endeavor than building any other type of model be it RR, aircarft, boats or rockets. it is not just scratch building.
now I'lll quit, no more will I bring up the subject, heaven forbid we Rffle Carls feathers;) thou I kinda thought he'd have been with me more on this one. I bow to the TRF collective..(bowing low and retreating backwards never looking up)

Yea, I am the lagger today...out of sync with you two!

Said my piece, no prob Silverleaf, I am over it...

Carl "The Hammer" Tulanko

Micro, please don't stop ruffling Carl's feathers. We live for that.

:grabs cattle prod and chases after Carl:

I leave for a few hours and what happens?

Don't make me turn this car around!!!:mad:

sandman

Um gonna take that prod from you Phil...and...

Let Bubba Bull and the boys have free reign at their stray biatch! :D

Sandman...just keep your eyes on the road! :D

Micro...no such thing as a bad decision here...just a democratically discussed and Wisely Made Decision. Just because it didn't suit your liking, that doesn't make it bad. Understand? Good! Oh, and feathers; sometimes it feels more like a flogging...but you get used to it. ;)

Carl

Originally posted by graylensman
this show is almost as entertaining as "The Bowhunters" over on channel 23! :D

ROTFLMAO

Best laugh I've had all day, THANK YOU! I wasn't going to jump into this thread but i couldn't resist *this*! LOL

Originally posted by PGerringer
:grabs cattle prod and chases after Carl:

Phil owns a cattle prod... ...why am I *not* suprised... :D

Originally posted by sandman
I leave for a few hours and what happens?

Don't make me turn this car around!!! :mad:

LOL I was thinking the SAME thing once I saw a dozen new replies to this thread! :D

Great restraint on the part of the mods. It's a thankless job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Now, back to our program, "As the Rocket turns..."

Back