SCALE - Rapier Missile Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Here is a kit I finished this early summer.It`s a TLP Rapier missile,one of my favorite LP rocket makers.I did some detail work and cobbled up some decals and markings.This was a fun build ,with plenty of room for super detail work ,as with most of their offerings.I found a good picture on the web of a rapier being launched ,as opposed of static display rounds not made for actual launches ,and therefore much flight configuration detail is missing.This particular missile seems to be launching in a desert ,so I zoomed in and noted as much detail and markings as I could.
I used Testors rattle can "Afrika Mustard" for the main body ,and seems like a good enough match.......but hey....who knows :confused2:

Paul

php2XNHz6PM.jpg

phppmzpFtPM.jpg

phpWzSWlmPM.jpg

phpZRGRUDPM.jpg

phpzYkDRGPM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice!
Just a unique color you don't see on rockets.The finish looks great...any clear coat on that?

cornyl

Welcome to the SCALE Rapier Missile Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Rapier Missile and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

TLP: Rapier: K014

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Rapier is a British surface-to-air missile developed for the British Army and Royal Air Force. Entering service in 1971, it eventually replaced all other anti-aircraft weapons in Army service; guns for low-altitude targets, and the English Electric Thunderbird, used against longer-range and higher-altitude targets. As the expected air threat moved from medium-altitude strategic missions to low-altitude strikes, the fast reaction time and high maneuverability of the Rapier made it more formidable than either of these weapons, replacing most of them by 1977. It remains the UK's primary air-defence weapon after almost 35 years of service, and its deployment is expected to continue until 2020

Last edited:
TLP Rapier (K014) Basic Information.

launchpad.gif
The Launch Pad (TLP)

MODEL NAME: Rapier Also known as:

NUMBER: K014

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 44"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Now Designed for "F" Power!

International Favorite

RAPIER SURFACE-TO-AIR MISSILE (UK)

Rapier is a small (88 inch) missile that originated in the mid 1960's, and after an extremely successful development period, went into service with the British Army and RAF Regiment in June of 1967. Originally a visually tracked, command-guided missile, later versions now routinely use the Blindfire radar system to direct the missile's flight. Rapier is extremely accurate, and employs a direct-action crush fuse to detonate its 1.1 lb. semi-armor-piercing warhead inside the target, giving it a SSKP (Single-Shot Kill Potential) of over 60 percent. Coastal defense batteries use a towed four-round launcher with integral radar dish, and there are now tracked armored carriers which hold four to eight missiles.

Our Rapier missile kit is brought to you in huge scale! Capable of flying on anything from black powder "D" motors to the powerful composite fuel RMS "F24" series motors, this is one of our most versatile rockets. Body detailing is authentic, down to the twin receiver aerials on the trailing edges of each wing. Recovery is by our 18" octagonal bright Mylar parachute, and, as with all of our kits, Rapier can be launched from most standard (tripod-type) model rocket launchers, when equipped with a 3/16" diameter launch rod at least 36" long. (TLP 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

launch%20pad-rapier%20k014-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

launch%20pad-rapier%20k014-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I just found this Thread. Holy awesome modeling skills!!! That thing is a true work of Art. I'de like to build a Non-Flying Model of that Caliber someday. It's too nice to risk it.

Back