SCALE - Nike Smoke Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I miss it, or has nobody mentioned the Quest Nike Smoke kit that came out in the middle to late 90's

I built one with a 24 mm mmt and flew it dozens of times on the Aerotech E-30,........Uh.... till I lost it somewhere in the sky on its last flight....... sigh......

Loved that kit. Very well done and easy to modify to 24 mm. It was a spectacular flier for a model rocket. I wish they'd bring the kit back. Id' buy a bunch just so that I would have one on hand for the next time I lost it.

Brad

Did I miss it, or has nobody mentioned the Quest Nike Smoke kit that came out in the middle to late 90's
. I wish they'd bring the kit back. Id' buy a bunch just so that I would have one on hand for the next time I lost it.

Brad

Brad,

QUEST still sells all the parts . . . You could build TWO of them for $21.30 ( 1 - 18" tube / 2 - Nose Cones / 2 - Fin Units ) . . . Make your own Motor mount & "UNITED STATES" decal, if you like.

You would cut the body tube to 8.26", to be correct for the scale 16.44 / 1.35 = 12.177777 . . . So, the Scale is 1 : 12.177777 !

https://www.questaerospace.com/index.aspx?pageid=4193206&chainID=417430&txtQuickSearch=nike

https://www.questaerospace.com/35mm_Body_Tube/p4193205_16432955.aspx

Dave F.

nike_m5-CORRECTED.gif

nike_smoke_0002.jpg

nike_smoke_new.jpg

Mentioned in post #2, Chris M did a clone using the Nike fin can and plastic nose cone from Quest.
I did the same, easiest Nike Smoke build ever.

Quest clone on the left, Centuri clone on the right:
0616210157[1].jpg

The current Quest fin unit uses an engine hook, not a twist on locking ring like the original kit.
The Centuri clone uses a balsa nose cone from erockets because the plastic one is long out of production.
I also added hatch decals to both models.
Still have to size and print the "United States" decals.
Nike Smoke (spacemodeling.org)
Quest Nike Smoke #1607 (rocketshoppe.com)
0616210200[1].jpg

Last edited:
The two stage Nike Nike Smoke used 3 Terrier-esque fins on both stages. It had a short payload section and a pointed nosecone, as it went too high to use ram air pressure like the original Smoke.

Charles,

Sorry, I missed the "second Nike" ( Nike Nike Smoke ) in your post - LOL !

I have an 8" X 10", 600 dpi image of this color photo . . . ( Too large to post here )

Dave F.

NASM-NASM-9A12510 - 8 X 10 - 150 dpi.jpg

Attachments

• 28232656521_a0d4937c5c_b.jpg
    28232656521_a0d4937c5c_b.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 22
  • index.png
    index.png
    666.1 KB · Views: 23
  • index2.png
    index2.png
    640.1 KB · Views: 21
  • index3.png
    index3.png
    505.1 KB · Views: 20
  • index4.png
    index4.png
    618.9 KB · Views: 20
  • NASM-NASM-9A12506.jpg
    NASM-NASM-9A12506.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 21
  • NASM-NASM-9A12507.jpg
    NASM-NASM-9A12507.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 22
  • NASM-NASM-9A12508.jpg
    NASM-NASM-9A12508.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 26
  • NASM-NASM-9A12509.jpg
    NASM-NASM-9A12509.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 25
Zman1961, I love the Nike Smoke. You have a great collection of very well-finished.
Please let me know the brand of the paint that you used for the fins, and if possible, the manufacture's part/colour identification number.
Thank you very much.

Zman1961, I love the Nike Smoke. You have a great collection of very well-finished.
Please let me know the brand of the paint that you used for the fins, and if possible, the manufacture's part/colour identification number.
Thank you very much.
ZEDL1, Thank you! The paint brand is Easycare/Premium Decor from True Value Hardware. The flourescent red-orange is part number PDFL6 201368. The yellow is PDFL3 641381. It goes on very well over a white base coat. Flourescent red spray paint of any sort is very diffcult to find in my area for some reason.DSCN1656[1].JPG

Thanks very much for the paint details and the photos of the cans themselves Zman1961. I appreciate it. The visuals will make it much easier for this older guy to find at our local True Value. You build and paint great looking "rockets", the word that I forget to add at the end of my original post to you...
Jim

If I were going to build a big one, it would be a full scale. I had one on order but the maker could never deliver the parts. One day, I could could 3d print the parts.

Painting a Nike Booster . . .

Dave F.
Once again, thanks for the great images Dave. The red and yellow look to be non-flourescent, but the specs always say the colors were flourescent. It could be the age of the images and the photo technology at the time they were taken, or maybe they just used whatever paint they had on the shelf. Either way, thanks for providing them.

Once again, thanks for the great images Dave. The red and yellow look to be non-flourescent, but the specs always say the colors were flourescent. It could be the age of the images and the photo technology at the time they were taken, or maybe they just used whatever paint they had on the shelf. Either way, thanks for providing them.

They were, most definitely, fluorescent.

Dave F.

Attachments

• ART-ROSE-TOMAHAWK-INTERSTAGE.jpg
    ART-ROSE-TOMAHAWK-INTERSTAGE.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 13
I only have these three with the biggest one in need of repainting due to crackle in the last attempt. Sometimes I just hate painting! The three include the Quest #Q2007 18mm kit, the Estes #7247 18mm kit, and the Estes #9704 29mm kit. I haven't used the florescent colors in the past for the fins but will on the Estes 29mm kit. Nike_Smoke_Collection.jpg

Back