SCALE - Nike Hercules Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2654

Reaction score
Here is my scratch built Nike Hercules. It's 50" tall. 29mm motor mount. It weighs 3 pounds 8 ounces. I shaped the transition from a 4"X4" block of balsa by hand. The upper stage is 2.5" dia. airframe and the lower stage is four 1.5" tubes around a central 29mm tube. Upper fins are 1/8" birch plywood and lower fins are 3/16" birch ply. I added 4 ounces of weight in the nose cone to give it a 1.42 cal. Lettering from Mark at StickerShock of course.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ready4paint.jpg
    ready4paint.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 612
  • finishedherc1.jpg
    finishedherc1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 389
Last edited by a moderator:
Sometime around 95-96 Revell re-released another Classic missile model from my youth. H-1804-149 Nike Hercules with launcher is a Great static display model but is even more fun if you spend some time making it a Flying PMC.

At 1:40 this little scale model is pretty tight space wise my original intent was to built the model around the Apogee 10.5mm B2 motors...alas before I got the model modified these Great motors went OOP:(
My only option was to increase the core body tube size to BT-5 for use with A10-3T motors. While this made for an OK model it really severely limited it's flight performance to about 50feet weighing in a 66.8grams empty.
Conversion means really stripping out as much interior styrene plastic as practical and opening up the core between the four nike booster motors to allow the BT-5 to become the structure supporting the now shell of partical tube nike boosters. While I tought about staging better judgement prevailed and I just added a upper stage noseblock. Making the Launch rail usable was also a bit of a chore but worked out fairly nicely. a small piece of black Nomex cloth is all that's required to use the launcher with a standard Launch 1/8" x 36" launch rod for flying.
It's a fairly difficult conversion but can be worth the time if your looking for a really classic "Rocket" type PMC:)

Post copied with permission

Attachments

• Nike Hercules-c1_& Launcher Revell H-1804-149 40th_96.jpg
    Nike Hercules-c1_& Launcher Revell H-1804-149 40th_96.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 92
4 x D12 Cluster

unmaskedgreen.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KavjClVBE-c

nike herc.jpg

Oh Andy ,I think I just sh%$ myself :y:

That is freek`n awesome ,nice very nice (of course I expect nothing less from you !)

But......no build thread :(

I have mine sitting and waiting to be done.

Regards

Paul T

Wow. Really beautiful.
Here's a video I took of one on 3 C11s. (Aerostadt's)
[YOUTUBE]iks6aNJMGQs&feature=plcp&context=C36a532dUDOEgsToPDskKztjmt_ZHxvWjmlVq8-Ek6[/YOUTUBE]

Oh Andy ,I think I just sh%$ myself :y:

That is freek`n awesome ,nice very nice (of course I expect nothing less from you !)

But......no build thread :(

I have mine sitting and waiting to be done.

Regards

Paul T

What he said! Pretty much verbatim. :cheers:

heheh thanks, It's an older build

Here's a link to the build thread.. warning it's several pages

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=42132&highlight=nike+hercules

Andy, thanks for posting that.

I'm doing a static model for a Nike Hercules museum in New Jersey and I'm going to use your sign plastic and rivet technique.

That saves me looking for it.

If anybody want a kit I am currently short parachutes. My wife sews them and she got behind sewing Christmas presents but she's starting to catch up. The kits are complete, they are just waiting for parachutes.

Last edited:
Here is a Nike Hercules that I built from the TLP Plan Pak:

scan0002.jpg

Man, that's awesome. You did a great job. I built one from the Plan Pak last year. It was a labour of love.

IMG_1531.JPG

This is my scratch built micro that I finished recently.

IMG_1315.JPG

I converted Roachwerks Nike Hercules to a 2-stage model using the min-timer3. On the first flight with 4 x C11's in the first stage the second stage did not fire. Fortunately, the parachute in the 1st stage was able to save everything. The second flight with 4 x D12's in the 1st stage and one C11 in the second stage was successful.

IMG_1161.jpg

Nike Hercules lift-off.jpg

Nike Hercules 1st parachute.jpg

Nike Hercules 2nd stage parachute.jpg

I converted Roachwerks Nike Hercules to a 2-stage model using the min-timer3. On the first flight with 4 x C11's in the first stage the second stage did not fire. Fortunately, the parachute in the 1st stage was able to save everything. The second flight with 4 x D12's in the 1st stage and one C11 in the second stage was successful.

Did the timer trigger on the first flight? In other words was it an issue of not enough acceleration for enough time to trigger the mini-timer? Or were you using breakwire/pull pin? Or???

As I recall I had an Estes solar igniter for the second stage on the first flight and I am thinking that it didn't fire at all. I looked at the predicted average acceleration from 4 x C11's and looked like it was enough, but it may not have been long enough. The average acceleration from 4 x D12's is about the same, but it lasts longer. So, to be sure I used 4 x D12's and put a Q2G2 igniter in the second stage. Both flights had 4 Q2G2's in the first stage fire the cluster successfully.

Here is mine. Sorry, I did not do a military paint scheme. White is too hard to see in the clouds, green is too hard to see on the ground.

Central 54mm. Can be staged to a 38mm. 65 inches tall (IIRC).

Motor in flight picture is a AT I285R.

Alan

Nike+Herc1.jpg

Nike+Herc2.jpg

Welcome to the SCALE (MIM-14) Nike Hercules Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the (MIM-14) Nike Hercules and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Roachwerks: Nike Hercules (24mm):
TLP: Nike Hercules Plan Pack:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The MIM-14 Nike-Hercules (initially designated SAM-A-25), was a solid fuel propelled two-stage surface-to-air missile, used by US and NATO armed forces for high- and medium-altitude air defense. It could also be employed in a surface-to-surface role.

The Nike-Hercules system, a follow-up to the Nike-Ajax missile, was developed during the Cold War to destroy enemy bombers and enemy bomber formations, as well as serve as an anti-ballistic missile system. Western Electric, Bell Laboratories, and Douglas Aircraft Company were chief contractors for the system. Nuclear-armed Nike Hercules missiles were deployed in the United States, Greece, Italy, Korea and Turkey, and with Belgian, Dutch, and U.S. forces in West Germany. Conventionally armed Nike Hercules missiles also served in the United States, Germany, Denmark, Japan, Norway, and Taiwan. The first deployments in Europe began in 1959 and the last nuclear-armed Nike Hercules missiles in Europe were deactivated in 1988. The Nike-Hercules missile systems sold to Japan (Nike J) were subsequently fitted with upgraded internal guidance systems, the original vacuum tube systems being replaced with transistorized ones.

The Nike Hercules could carry either a nuclear warhead or a conventional high explosive warhead (T-45 fragmentation type). Initially the nuclear-armed version carried the W-7 Mod 2E nuclear warhead, with yields of 2.5 or 28 kt. Beginning in FY 1961 the older warheads were replaced by W-31 Mod 0 warheads, with yields of 2 kt (Y1) or 30 kt (Y2). The last versions carried the W31 Mod 2 warhead, with yields of 2 or 20 kt. The missile was 41 feet 6 inches (12.65 m) long with a wingspan of 6 feet 2 inches (1.88 m). 145 missile batteries were deployed during the cold war. The missile had a range of about 77 miles (124 km).

Last edited:
Roachwerks Nike Hercules (24mm) Basic Information.

roachwerks.gif
Roachwerks Custom Machining

MODEL NAME: Nike Hercules (24mm) Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Gordon Agnello

Type: Scale, Cluster
Motor Mount: 4x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
TLP Nike Hercules Plan Pack Basic Information.

launchpad.gif
The Launch Pad (TLP)

MODEL NAME: Nike Hercules Plan Pack Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount:
Recovery:
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here is my scratch built Nike Hercules. It's 50" tall. 29mm motor mount. It weighs 3 pounds 8 ounces. I shaped the transition from a 4"X4" block of balsa by hand. The upper stage is 2.5" dia. airframe and the lower stage is four 1.5" tubes around a central 29mm tube. Upper fins are 1/8" birch plywood and lower fins are 3/16" birch ply. I added 4 ounces of weight in the nose cone to give it a 1.42 cal. Lettering from Mark at StickerShock of course.[/ATTACH]

Your Nike Hercules looks superb! :) For years I've contemplated building a scratch built, but could never find enough actionable data for the transition piece. Could you share your raw and scaled down data for your transition? Greatly appreciated.

Also did you located your recovery system at top of the booster or within the upper substainer?

I dont have any data. I just eye-balled all of it. I wasnt going for true scale. The laundry comes out the nose cone end. Mine has a 29mm motor mount. [video=youtube;mWtd-RKoOAg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWtd-RKoOAg[/video]

Back