SCALE - (MGR-1) Honest John Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
My first experience as an adult with vacuum formed parts was my Estes Maxi Brute Honest John. I like the distinctive shape of the nose tapering back to a thinner body but I learned to despise working with vac formed parts. Like anything else, its a skill that builds over time. Its still not my favorite but I am better at it, especially since I have eschewed Testor's tube style glue.

I still think this is a good looking rocket, even though it hasn't been flown recently. Its awaiting repair on a vac formed fin once again.

The original build thread is in the archive: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=46267

The limited thread on TRF is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=4803

The photo albums can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157607430089668/

hojon-paint-stickers-2.jpg

bbj-f1c.jpg

BBJ-flt-1.jpg

2748781607_360eeb2647.jpg

2748781595_4fbcdc1f68.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my Madcow HOJO 50.

HOJO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Plain Ol'e Estes Kit: Never really Like the model enough to downscale it. One of these days I want to do a red & white Test round in T3 micro scale.

030-sm_Honest John semi-scale_05-31-89.jpg

030-b1a-sm_Honest John Liftoff_05-09-87.jpg

My good old Madcow all fiberglass HoJo . Such a great rocket ,and a great build & flier.

Decals by Stickershock ,with added detail ,such as launch shoes ,body wrap and spin motors.

Paul

phpaPJZIpAM.jpg

phpotLFyIAM.jpg

phpyinwH9AM.jpg

php6rBF7CAM.jpg

php20wLgTAM.jpg

I just love showing mine off!

The real one.
The micro.

I went with the test round colors, so I could find it. The olive drab is difficult in grass.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_2253.jpg
    100_2253.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 135
my USMC painted version.... with army markings (and a closeup of a spin nozzle cover)

HonestJohndone.jpg

Ok..now boss....about that raise....
meandHJ.jpg

spin_nozzle_close_up.jpg

An old Estes HoJo, made 12 years ago.Pretty much a test round color scheme.

Great rocket !

paul

phpitWcCfPM.jpg

phpk7GXR6PM.jpg

phpkbn6NiPM.jpg

phpZgOn2hPM.jpg

Here`s another Estes HoJo done in usual Olive Drab.This was one of the first kits I built when I became a BAR.Always loved the looks of the Honest John ,and was very exited when I found two more boxed kits to add to my stash.

Paul

phpQMOtAmAM.jpg

phpnXdToNAM.jpg

phpDaE5leAM.jpg

phpS235K6AM.jpg

Next up was my maxi hojo. AS the CF used this rocket in the past I like it a lot :) It uses a D12-3 :)

Post copied to gallery with permission

hojo1.jpg

hojo2.jpg

hojo3.jpg

hojo4.jpg

I completed the Mini Honest John, and I'm happy with the results. I used Krylon Flat OD with a top coat of Krylon Clear Matte after the decals were applied. I think it's another great offering from Estes, and I can't wait to fly it. Final weight rtf is 1.0oz, should go good using a A10-3T.

I used one of Estes new 6" chutes, I thought the included 12" is really to big for this model. One thing, I wish Estes would include is a better picture for decal layout. You really have to guess with their kits.

DSC00351.jpg

Copied to gallery with permission.

Here's that Micro Honest John it Test Round Red/white& Black colors.

Also added 3-D Spin motor housings and weld/attachment bands.
As grandson Kyle can atest this little jewel is VERY quick off the pad. used in US vs USSR spot landing I missed everything but the smoke LOL!

MM 377p01a_Honest John Test round_(RW&Blk) M31A1c_01-11.jpg

MM 377p05b_Honest John Test _(3 jet O,W&Blk) M50 Launch_61.jpg

Attachments

• MM 377uc13c_.5 x 12 Teflon streamer on 5.2g_04-28-11.JPG
    MM 377uc13c_.5 x 12 Teflon streamer on 5.2g_04-28-11.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 97
  • MM 377uc13d_T3 1;80 Honest John Complete_04-28-11.JPG
    MM 377uc13d_T3 1;80 Honest John Complete_04-28-11.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 101
  • MM 377Lp01a2_Honest John & Kyle on Pad 1st flt_05-21-11.JPG
    MM 377Lp01a2_Honest John & Kyle on Pad 1st flt_05-21-11.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 87
Could'nt find, (but did'nt look very hard), Olive drab------so Brit racing Green it is. Fun kit, Frustrating decals...I.E. tiny.

HonestJohnAstron6-9-2011007.jpg

HonestJohnAstron6-9-2011004.jpg

Goonie version....

Launch0004 - Copy.JPG

Saw an Honest John while on vacation in Southern Jersey.
North bound on the Garden State Parkway near Cape May Court House.
It was on the front lawn of a National guard complex.
It looked like it was in need of some TLC.

Here is a site that I found that has some pics.
This is not my site and I do not take any credit for these pics.

https://www.hobbyguild.com/HonestJohn/index.html

Cornyl

Here's my two, a Mad Cow 2.6" all fiberglass version for 29mm H and bigger, and a mini hojo, with larger fin version, ttw .034 styrene fins.

Frank

WP_000755.jpg

WP_000756.jpg

This one would be nice to build as a full scale project and launch it on a ? size motor. Since I no idea of anything bigger than D, and the photo's and videos I've seen of larger rockets, this should be awesome to launch as a full scale rocket. Maybe the nose cone depoly something like water ballons so they rain down on the crowd? Just a thought.

Folks,

I'm not much of a true scale modeler, but I liked the mini Honest John, so I picked one up at HL with a coupon. The flat green facecard paintjob wouldn't do it for me... so this is how I finished mine:

View attachment 59076

I'm thinking to get another, primarily for the nosecone, and doing some cool scifi-type fins...

Marc

PS: Thanks to all who posted their stability concerns on this kit... I'm going to add some grams of nose weight.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• Honest John 00001.jpg
    Honest John 00001.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 225
Welcome to the SCALE MGR-1 Honest John Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the MGR-1 Honest John and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Honest John: KC-25 or #5085
Cox: Honest John: #5050
Estes: Honest John: K-27 or #1227
Estes: Honest John: #1919
Estes: (Maxi) Honest John: #2166
Estes: Maxi Honest John: #1269
Estes: Mini Honest John: #2446
Excelsior Rocketry: Honest Goon
Fliskits: Honest John: MX008
Madcow Rocketry: Honest John Rocket: K-115
Schoolyard Rockets: Honest John:
Thrustline: Honest John: TACL-003
Thrustline: Honest John: TACL-004

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The MGR-1 Honest John rocket was the first nuclear-capable surface-to-surface rocket in the US arsenal. Designated Artillery Rocket XM31, the first such rocket was tested 29 June 1951 and the first production rounds were delivered in January 1953. The designator was changed to M31 in September 1953. The first Army units received their rockets by year's end and Honest John battalions were deployed in Europe in the Spring of 1954. Alternatively, the rocket was designed to be capable of carrying an ordinary high-explosive warhead weighing 1500 pounds, even though that was not the primary purpose for which it was originally envisioned.

Last edited:
My good old Madcow all fiberglass HoJo . Such a great rocket ,and a great build & flier.

Decals by Stickershock ,with added detail ,such as launch shoes ,body wrap and spin motors.

Paul

Which size is this one?

Also which one is this? Is it one of the maxis or one of the others?

John ,

These are both the boxed Maxi versions .

I`m fortunate to have two more brand new ones in my stash :wink:

Paul T

John ,

These are both the boxed Maxi versions .

I`m fortunate to have two more brand new ones in my stash :wink:

Paul T

Thanks. Could you nail it down a little more for me. There was apparently a maxi #1269 and a #2166. Mine is a 2166 but it seems the 1269 was the more common.

Estes (Maxi) Honest John (#2166) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Honest John Also known as: Maxi Honest John, Maxi Brute Honest John

NUMBER: #2166

Introduced: 2000
Final Year: 2000
Designer: Ed Brown

Type: Scale, Reissue
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

estes-maxi%20honest%20john%202166-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Thanks. Could you nail it down a little more for me. There was apparently a maxi #1269 and a #2166. Mine is a 2166 but it seems the 1269 was the more common.

John ,I just checked . The built HoJo`s are # 2166 as well as the 2 new boxed unbuilt ones I have in the stash.

Cheers

Paul t

John ,I just checked . The built HoJo`s are # 2166 as well as the 2 new boxed unbuilt ones I have in the stash.

Cheers

Paul t

They must have put out a lot of those 2166s the single year they were in production...and they weren't even in the catalog! That's what I have as well.

Thanks for taking the time.

Back